NHL players going to play in the UHL

NHL players are a big bunch of hypocrites. They go play in the UHL for $500 a week or overseas for a couple hundred thousand at most yet they refuse to play in the NHL for a couple million. That's just stupid. They must have no idea that they are ruining the game even more than it was already ruined.

I've been following the story in the Canadian press.  It's interesting to see the spin they're putting on it:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Kerna...929143-sun.html

236846[/snapback]

"... even though the NHLers insisted they would sign only if they weren't bumping another player out of a job."

I guess the minor league teams can have more than six players on the ice. Must be getting crowded out there.

NHL players are a big bunch of hypocrites. They go play in the UHL for $500 a week or overseas for a couple hundred thousand at most yet they refuse to play in the NHL for a couple million. That's just stupid. They must have no idea that they are ruining the game even more than it was already ruined.

236847[/snapback]

I couldn't agree with you more Kasper. These guys have no care as to whos job they are taking when right in their own backyard they can still make a avg of $1.3 Million aprox. The real shame is they are damaging a great sport and now more people are gonna hate hockey along with the rest of America who doesn't care. It also sucks because I think the Sabres have some real good guys down in Rochester and in other leagues that are gonna be good and we won't be able to see them for some time.

Totally pissed and disgusted!

All i can say is payback is a B word.  Wait until next year when the Owners bring in replacement players.

236863[/snapback]

Yeah, I don't see what the problem is here, NHL owners can now turn around and hire a player like Ken Kerr and pay him what he will agree to paid to deliver NHL hockey and current (former) NHL players will play for the minor league team.

I suspect with a group of better players, the minor league UHL product will attract more interest, attendees and advertisers. The salary cap they have in place in the minors will be altered as they need to divide up a bigger pool of money and manage different cash streams and probably will begin to look more like the NFL CBA which is a good model for increased partnership between owners and players.

My guess is if this plays out, the owners will get their replacement players and deliver a Ken Kerr level product to customers.

The players will get replacement owners and deliver their Chris Chelios level of product to customers.

This is fine with me as I will be able to find level of players I want to find and probably will tune into the UHL to see better players.

The owners are merely sources of capital and there are plenty of those in western culture so replacement owners is fine with me as well.

I suspect with a group of better players, the minor league UHL product will attract more interest, attendees and advertisers.

236878[/snapback]

And what arenas would they be playing in? That's where the NHL has the player's over a barrel. Go ahead, play somewhere else, but if there's only 2,000 people in the barn, expect to get paid accordingly.

Unless your capitalists want to pony up to build a couple dozen more 15,000+ seat areana, that is. Yeah, sure, that's going to happen. :doh:

And what arenas would they be playing in?  That's where the NHL has the player's over a barrel.  Go ahead, play somewhere else, but if there's only 2,000 people in the barn, expect to get paid accordingly. 

Unless your capitalists want to pony up to build a couple dozen more 15,000+ seat areana, that is.    Yeah, sure, that's going to happen. :doh:

236897[/snapback]

Once the season ends, everything is in play. The owners are losing less money paying arena owners or bondholders (even when the teams own the arenas they are actually paying banks and cities which fronted the money to build the arenas payments on the loans) with no league than lose paying off the loans and huge contracts to players, but they are still losing money.

As the NHL has no season and is not a going concern, you will begin to see arena's beoming available for rent to anyone who can put butts in the seats to fill them. Just because the owners are stupid and doing wrong does not make the players smart or say they are doing the right thing. Both the owners and the players are dumb and doing the wrong thing.

I think the miscalculation that the owners are making here though is that I will pay a little but not a lot to see the best hockey players in the world, but I could care less who owns the team.

Owners provide capital which is essential to playing the game, but there are numerous sources of capital here in the western world and the best hockey players in the world remain the former NHL players.

I love minor league sports for a while so I can deal with replacement players for a while, but i can deal with replacement owners for ever and ultimately the NHL not being a going concern simply creates a vaccuum for new capital. The players will need to be careful they are not beaten out by the WNBA or some other form of sports entertainment, but ultimately like the NFL strike the players will probably end up making more money than they ever made before even if they get beaten in a strike (lockout).

I'd rather spend $15 and go watch an AHL or a UHL game instead of spending $50 for an NHL game. At least the younger players try in the minors and I don't feel ripped off after watching two and a half hours of holding, clutching & grabbing and the trap while half the team takes the night off to begin with. Replacement player games won't be much different than regular player games and it'll be cheaper too. F the NHL players. I hope they all lose their jobs and when the light bulb finally goes on and they realize how incredibly stupid they are and it will be way too late. Let them all go work real jobs for minimum wage and we'll see how fast they are crossing the picket lines begging to play for $100,000 a year.

As the NHL has no season and is not a going concern, you will begin to see arena's beoming available for rent to anyone who can put butts in the seats to fill them. 

236964[/snapback]

There's no way the owners give up their exclusive rights over the arenas...that's their trump card. I'm sure the contract's they have with the arena's give them right of first refusal over any hockey-related activity.

If they're serious about calling off the season, the owners will enforce those arena contracts to the death, paying the rent to keep out any competition.

Hold strong owners- you will win this war! The NHLPA will break apart. Open next year with a hard salary cap. Sign some scabs that would be very happy to play the game they love for several hundred thousand dollars a year. Get some young talent, then start over. The NHLPA would implode as players crossed lines

Hold strong owners- you will win this war!  The NHLPA will break apart.  Open next year with a hard salary cap.  Sign some scabs that would be very happy to play the game they love for several hundred thousand dollars a year.  Get some young talent, then start over.  The NHLPA would implode as players crossed lines

237107[/snapback]

The thing is at the little guys ALWAYS lode in sa war and actually even the country that wins the war militarily loses the war in terms of the aftermath (as we are unfortunately demonstrating today in Iraq where we have won the war, bollixed the peace and the country that was the big winner in the recent elections was Iran where Iraqy sympathizing Shiites were the big winners in the election, with anti Turkish (a NATO and US ally) Kurd forces strengthen their grip on the north.

So too in the fake world of sports it is even dumber to fight a war since the goal is to make money and a partnership between the players and the owners is the best way to make big bucks/

A prime real life example of this is the NFL where the owners went to replacement players in the mid-80 and kicked the NFLPA's tail and their demands for 52% of the gross league income. In the face of the NFL winning the war, the NFLPA was so demolished they began to move to decertify themselves as a bargaining unit for the players.

Faced with the prospect of actually having to compete in the free-market for players and without the NFLPA to join them in their restraint of trade activities like the NFL draft, the owners were forced to beat a hasty retreat and had to negotiate the CBA which provides the player with about 70% of the gross defined income. Even with certain cash streams like luxury boxes defined out of the gross, the players are making more money than ever and collaborate with the owners to restrain trade like barring Clarett from the draft.

I simply hope that the owners realize that to the extent they are winning "the war" because the NHLPA is led by idiots they eventually going to lose the war unless they learn how to play well with others. Its less true but still true for the players as well.

The thing is at the little guys ALWAYS lode in sa war and actually even the country that wins the war militarily loses the war in terms of the aftermath (as we are unfortunately demonstrating today in Iraq where we have won the war, bollixed the peace and the country that was the big winner in the recent elections was Iran where Iraqy sympathizing Shiites were the big winners in the election, with anti Turkish (a NATO and US ally) Kurd forces strengthen their grip on the north.

So too in the fake world of sports it is even dumber to fight a war since the goal is to make money and a partnership between the players and the owners is the best way to make big bucks/

A prime real life example of this is the NFL where the owners went to replacement players in the mid-80 and kicked the NFLPA's tail and their demands for 52% of the gross league income.  In the face of the NFL winning the war, the NFLPA was so demolished they began to move to decertify themselves as a bargaining unit for the players.

Faced with the prospect of actually having to compete in the free-market for players and without the NFLPA to join them in their restraint of trade activities like the NFL draft, the owners were forced to beat a hasty retreat and had to negotiate the CBA which provides the player with about 70% of the gross defined income.  Even with certain cash streams like luxury boxes defined out of the gross, the players are making more money than ever and collaborate with the owners to restrain trade like barring Clarett from the draft.

I simply hope that the owners realize that to the extent they are winning "the war" because the NHLPA is led by idiots they eventually going to lose the war unless they learn how to play well with others. Its less true but still true for the players as well.

237250[/snapback]

Having season tickets to a UHL team (Richmond Riverdogs) that aren't going to sign any NHL'ers, it makes me sick. These players are literally taking jobs from guys that have to work on farms, as personal trainers, etc. in the offseason just to make ends meet. To make it worse a lot of these "star" players are only playing home games as they don't want to make the bus trips to these other cities. There was an article in the local paper and many of the players shared Kerr's sentiments. I think it is crap.

Oh and go to www.theuhl.com and check out the stats page. Some of the NHL'ers are enjoying success, but Chelios and Hatcher (Motor City Mechanics) are actually a minus in +/-.