Bills working out DE Red Bryant (Winn replacement)

Maybe Big Stuff moves to DE, he certainly has the speed to do so.

Dareus made his mark as a 3-4 DE.

TBC says we can't really characterize Rex DL traditionally......and while that is true...it would be nice to see Dareus a little closer to the edge where he isn't going to automatically be turned into a NT by proxy.

Kyle Williams isn't going to draw a double team if Dareus is lined up within reach of a G and C and within 8 feet of him.

Dareus made his mark as a 3-4 DE.

TBC says we can't really characterize Rex DL traditionally......and while that is true...it would be nice to see Dareus a little closer to the edge where he isn't going to automatically be turned into a NT by proxy.

Kyle Williams isn't going to draw a double team if Dareus is lined up within reach of a G and C and within 8 feet of him.

Bryant could be the big fat guy you said you wanted.

And this is exactly why people should be grateful that El Pegual is the owner. Two years ago Bills' braintrust would have been scouring footage of the backup DT from Furman.

Exactly.

Before the Bills lost Pettine I was actually hoping the Bills might take a run at Bryant as a FA to help protect Alonso and shore up that leaky run D.

A lot changed in that short period of time. :lol:

It's nice just not having that suspicion that Littman is looking to make a cash addition by subtraction as the preseason closes.......let alone possibly signing a quality DL. :thumbsup:

And this is exactly why people should be grateful that El Pegual is the owner. Two years ago Bills' braintrust would have been scouring footage of the backup DT from Furman.

In their defense, John Mackey gives 110% effort every time he touches the field. He's was the heart and soul of that D. He might be undersized, but those 65lbs he's missing would only slow that incredible motor of his down.

I have to go back to the comment I made that Bryant appears too big to play DE. If all a DE does is rush the passer or stuff the run, bulk wouldn't be an issue. DEs in Rex's defense and a lot of others are expected to drop back into pass protection. Even if Bryant has reasonable straight ahead speed, how agile could he be?

Well anyway he sounds like a good player and maybe the Bills can make this work. I hope so.

Mackey has slow eyes.

While true, it doesn't take away from how quickly he realizes what he should have done right on his bad plays. Quick hindsight.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Why is Bryant available? He was a big part of the SB champion DL in 2013 and signed a pretty decent FA deal with the Jags in 2014. He's a big time run stuffer. Why did he get cut from a bad team? Is he healthy? Would be a very nice replacement for Wynn IMO.

Not the best pass rusher and 31 years old. I don't know if he is a 3 down linemen either. So a player who is a bit older and one dimensional might not be highly in demand. I still think for what the Bills need Bryant would be a great fit. As mentioned before they could use Bryant as a week one NT for Dareus and move Dareus out to DE if Bryant proves capable of holding down the NT spot. If not he would make for a solid rotation piece.

Edited by billsfan89