ESPN Reports: Losman Starter in Buffalo..

AirBledsoe11

ESPN Reports: Losman Starter in Buffalo: Bledsoe Likley Released on Feb.22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"After a couple of weeks at home in California, quarterback J.P. Losman arrived back at the Buffalo Bills complex this week to begin offseason workouts, and there is a pretty good reason why the 2004 first-round pick is suddenly the team's early bird in the weight room. The decision has essentially already been made by Bills officials, several sources told ESPN.com, that Losman, who missed much of his rookie season recovering from a broken leg suffered in training camp, will be the starter in 2005. In fact, it is believed that Buffalo officials have apprised Drew Bledsoe of the plan to elevate the former Tulane star to the top of the depth chart and are giving the 12-year veteran some time to consider the ramifications of the move, and to determine if he wants to return to the Bills as the backup. Bledsoe is due a $1.05 million roster bonus in early March, and a base salary of $3.3 million for 2005, and has a salary cap charge of $6 million-plus. The Bills seem to feel they have gone about as far as they can with Bledsoe, and view the success of Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh this season as validation that you can win with a young quarterback when you surround him with solid talent. Losman appeared in just four games in 2004, all cameos, and threw only five passes. But head coach Mike Mularkey and his staff are enamored of the former Tulane signal caller, both from a physical and intangibles standpoint, and are ready to make the transition. As for Bledsoe, well, the Bills maintain a great deal of respect for the veteran and want to do right by him. There has been some speculation that the Dallas Cowboys might be interested in Bledsoe, who began his NFL career under Bill Parcells at New England in 1993 and at 33 is eight years younger than Vinny Testaverde. Then again, Bledsoe might prefer to be released, and then choose his own landing spot for 2005. If he did wind up in Dallas, there would be some irony to such a relocation. It was the Cowboys who dealt Buffalo a first-round pick in the '04 draft, and the extra selection was used by the Bills to grab Losman. It should be noted, in the case of Bledsoe and other veterans suddenly on the bubble with their teams, that players cannot be officially released until Feb. 22."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1989339

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we can only pray now........I pray someone teaches Jp some respect and show the surfer boy the way to the mature room

236461[/snapback]

are we talking about RJ or JP?? :doh: Damn let the man start a game before you call for his head. At least the Bledsoe bashers waited for a 1.5 years.

They better not release Drew. Or they can kiss last place for a long while with losman.

236454[/snapback]

I hope you save that list of excuses which you had for Drewwy for JP. You know- the line sucks, the WRs suck, the offensive cooridinator sucks, etc.

Go JP!

I hope you save that list of excuses which you had for Drewwy for JP.  You know- the line sucks, the WRs suck, the offensive cooridinator sucks, etc.

Go JP!

236536[/snapback]

While it's a team game and I don't really try to root for individual players over the team, I think that move is best for the Buffalo Bills as a football team and organization. I think we may take a step back this year but for the long haul this is the right move.

I wonder why Sue didn't like RJ? We had the same problems we did then that we do now. Maybe RJ was a good QB???

LOL

The major difference is that we don't have the O-line that Pitt does and anybody claiming anything different is only kidding themselves. He had an extraordinary year because that line was the best at pass protection. Some of you might want to review some of their game film.

The major difference is that we don't have the O-line that Pitt does and anybody claiming anything different is only kidding themselves.  He had an extraordinary year because that line was the best at pass protection.  Some of you might want to review some of their game film.

236549[/snapback]

His performance wasn't really that great. He didn't have to do much once they got going.

When he was forced to throw in the playoffs he sucked.

They better not release Drew. Or they can kiss last place for a long while with losman.

236454[/snapback]

Wrong, wrong, wrong!. Talk about seeing the glass as half empty. Only a delusional Drew fanboy(or girl) would haste to such a conclusion. First off, JP can do little worse the the statue did this year. And thats AT WORST. But his potential is a great positive. IF and its a fairly large if, JP can be a modest sucess next year we are in great shape. How could a team with a top ranked defence and an emerging running game be projected as finishing last place? Even with a rookie qb. Sure there are going to be some bumps along the way but we already know we are going to get them with Bledsoe. Let it go. Drew is mediocre at the best of times. Are you family or something?

Only a delusional Drew fanboy(or girl) would haste to such a conclusion. First off, JP can do little worse the the statue did this year. And thats AT WORST.

See, it's quotes like this that make the Drew-bashers/JP-lovers lose all credibility. We can do no worse than 9-7?!?!?!! WTF is that? If we were 4-12 this year, fine, maybe I'd agree with you. But we had a freak'n winning record this year! In case you havn't noticed, I think our record put us in the top-third of the league. Last I checked, we beat three playoff teams last year.

Believe what you want, but we COULD fall a long way. If JP starts, I'll be rooting him on as I would for any player, but to blindly say we can be no worse with any other QB in there is just plain stupid when we've had one losing record in the past three seasons.

CW

The sooner you make the move the better.

I always gave Drew the benefit of a doubt, until this past season. Now I guess I'm on the bandwagon. Drew is too much of a liability to keep around. Let the kid play and develop.

In a perfect world, Drew could succeed. With a perfect OL, Drew would likely succeed. Hoping for perfection, however, is a pipe dream. Another year of Bledsoe could be a nightmare.

See, it's quotes like this that make the Drew-bashers/JP-lovers lose all credibility.  We can do no worse than 9-7?!?!?!!  WTF is that?  If we were 4-12 this year, fine, maybe I'd agree with you.  But we had a freak'n winning record this year!  In case you havn't noticed, I think our record put us in the top-third of the league.  Last I checked, we beat three playoff teams last year.

Believe what you want, but we COULD fall a long way.  If JP starts, I'll be rooting him on as I would for any player, but to blindly say we can be no worse with any other QB in there is just plain stupid when we've had one losing record in the past three seasons.

CW

236570[/snapback]

We could do no worse at the qb position. The rest of our team carried us to that lofty 9-7 record. Drew was one of the lowest ranked qbs dude. Wake up. I put to you that if we had even a decent qb we make the playoffs last season. My point is that as green as jp is, it will be no worse than that schmuck DB last season. At worst he gets a developement year under his belt and we could be mediocre again. But that will happen next season if we start that (*^*&%^$^#statue next season anyway.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!. Talk about seeing the glass as half empty. Only a delusional Drew fanboy(or girl) would haste to such a conclusion. First off, JP can do little worse the the statue did this year. And thats AT WORST. But his potential is a great positive. IF and its a fairly large if, JP can be a modest sucess next year we are in great shape. How could a team with a top ranked defence and an emerging running game be projected as finishing last place?  Even with a rookie qb. Sure there are going to be some bumps along the way but we already know we are going to get them with Bledsoe. Let it go. Drew is mediocre at the best of times. Are you family or something?

236551[/snapback]

Emerging running game :doh: OH PLEASE look at the offensive line.

We could do no worse at the qb position. The rest of our team carried us to that lofty 9-7 record. Drew was one of the lowest ranked qbs dude. Wake up. I put to you that if we had even a decent qb we make the playoffs last season.  My point is that as green as jp is, it will be no worse than that schmuck DB last season. At worst he gets a developement year under his belt and we could be mediocre again. But that will happen next season if we start that (*^*&%^$^#statue next season anyway.

So Bledsoe had nothing to do with the 9-7 record, right? :doh: Whatever.

Bottom line is JP has proven NOTHING. Actually what he HAS proven is really scary, and NOT in a good way. To give him the starting job and not making him earn it is a frightening proposition. Ideally the Bills get Drew to take a paycut and compete for the job with JP, and may the best man win. But contrary to some opinions (and we all know what THEY are like...), the Bills could do a LOT worse with JP.