OT: has anyone ever had the Flu?

zevo

So because something else we do is worse, we should just compound on top of that?  <_<

Hell, why not just throw old batteries in the garbage too then?  (you do recycle those, don't you?)

CW

234923[/snapback]

Sure I do. And for a couple of years I managed a TSDF (Treatment, Storage and Disposal Facility), and have had plenty of involvement with RCRA, Superfund, Clean Air and Clean Water act , etc.

And worrying about expired pharmaceuticals in a landfill, all of which are monitored, borders on the anal-retentive IMO.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why can't you take old antibiotics? Does the antibiotics break down over time into something toxic to the liver??

234962[/snapback]

You shouldn't take any medication that has expired. But there really is no good reason to even have old antibiotics around. You should take them when they are prescribed until they are gone unless the doc tells you different.

That's how many people DIED from influenza in 1918, or thereabouts. It was a global disaster.

234404[/snapback]

This outbreak killed my great grandmother and four children under the age of six in the family. And they lived in a relatively isolated farm in Eastern Colorado.

This is something to reflect on for any of you that might breeze over the danger of antibiotic-resistant strains evolving, which is greatly accelerated by irresponsible use / discontinuation, if any of you that didn't know that.

I hope you feel better, zevo.  At least the flu runs its course much faster than a cold.  I hope your ears are okay.  Remember to drink as much water as you can.

234985[/snapback]

thanks alot Nittam. It really means alot. I'm really struggling with this because its making me miss my classes and have to reschedule labs and such. Not to mention i have 2 exams on monday.

This is something to reflect on for any of you that might breeze over the danger of antibiotic-resistant strains evolving, which is greatly accelerated by irresponsible use / discontinuation, if any of you that didn't know that.

234984[/snapback]

To repeat, Antibiotics DO NOT work on viruses (Colds and Flu). They only work on bacteria (pneumonia, sfood poisioning, flesh eating bacteria, etc). To take antibiotics for a cold or flu does nothing and could lead to bacteria that are normally in and on your body to become resistant.

Everyone around my office has been sick for weeks. Even my boss who hasn't taken a minute of sick time for two years was off for two days.

Whatever it is, it's nasty and seems to travel all over the body.  Good rule of thumb is your temperature.  High temp normally means a virus which can only be handled with rest, fluids and probably increased Vitamin C. A low temp for more than 24 hours is usually an indicator that it's bacterial and you'd need antibiotics. Caution - taking those leftover antibiotics from your medicine cabinet is a very bad idea.

Yes, I did work in health care for 5 years in another life.

234386[/snapback]

Sorry hon,,,the exact opposite is true regarding temps,,,low usually correlates with viral infections, high with bacterial and more serious infections. I do agree about the old antibiotics though. <_<

I have never been so sick in all my life. It all started on superbowl sunday with chills aches and a cough. Then it progressed to a 103 fever. I then went  to the doctor and he said i had the flu and that i should almost be over it. That was on tuesday. It is now thursaday and i wake up in the middle of the night and my ears feel like they are going to explode from all of the pressure. The good thing is is that the fever broke but i still have a bad sore throat, two ear aches and still congested. does anyone think i should go back to the doctor to get my ears checked for an infection or is this normal? This is the first time i hav eever had the FLU!

Thoughts?

234279[/snapback]

Your doc should have given you amantidine or tamiflu which would have significantly shortened the duration of your symptoms. I do believe you should have the ears rechecked, could be a superimposed bacterial infection requiring anitbitics. Best wishes.