Fred ain't Dead

I think everyone on TSW is speculating on which RBs will make it on the final roster, and so am I. There are way too many mouths to feed in the backfield, and if Greg Roman's playcalling history is any indication of how the opportunities will be distributed, it looks like Shady will get the vast majority of touches (see Frank Gore). That being said, I don't get how so many of you guys are counting out Fredex. The age is clearly the biggest issue and without watching the game, doubting the 34-year-old guy playing the position that causes the most wear and tear is very sensible conclusion to come to. But Jackson is not your typical back. If he relied and top end speed and agility, or running guys over with brute force, he would've burned out a long time ago (the demise of most backs in the league). But Jackson doesn't rely on being athletically superior to anyone on the field; as you've all witnessed, he uses patience, vision and balance to optimize the space he is given, often just out of would-be tacklers reach and always falling forward.

The criticism I read here is that he's lost a step, but I don't see it. He is the guy that saved us in the opener last year against the Bears, despite critics saying the same thing. What has to be acknowledged is the complete lack of creativity and competence of the offensive playcalling last year, which I blame for the stagnant running game even more than the poor line play. Jackson's skill as a back (let's not forget his blocking) far outweighs the athleticism of most other backs, because a lot of them are more athletic and literally all of them are younger. Until he truly shows a drop off in performance, I'm not counting him out.

Ultimately its Whaley's decision to make, and by judging his moves to get Brown and drafting Williams I don't think he shares my opinion.

It's an interesting question.

Yes, I love Fred, but he has lost a step as far as speed. He pretty much acknowledged as much last preseason and said he had become stronger to compensate somewhat, which could also be seen.

Plays where he once got 3.5-4 yds are now 3 - 3.5 yds. Plays where he once might have made a guy miss and picked up 10-15 are now tackles for 5. I do put a lot of blame on the playcalling and line for the hideous run game last year.

The thing that sets Fred apart is his ability to consistently turn nothing into 3 yds behind "meh" run blocking. So I think it really all depends on the line, and on the blocking and ball security development shown by Brown and Williams, as well as what they contribute on ST. Boobie Dixon probably stays for special teams. IMHO McCoy is one of the premier RBs in the league, and one of the most complete, a guy who can catch and block as well. But, he is a skill player, a guy who needs a line.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why he's either gotta be the extreme of "best on the team" or "worthless and should be let go"... why can't he just be a change of pace back that gets like 25% of the carries? I'm sure the lesser load will help keep him fresh as well.

this!