Talking Heads

It seems we as Bills fans, really as sports fans in general, tend to rag on someone giving us a low grade, but love the high ones. Will anybody here be honest and disagree if someone were to rank us too high. If someone from ESPN or NFL Network were to come out and say the Bills are a top 3 team, would anybody call them out and say that's too high?

I tend to look more at the reasoning than the result. If you come with a fair assessment (ie it's an unproven offensive line in flux that will need to be relied upon heavily in order to have an effective ground & pound attack, the defense has their third coordinator and scheme in 3 years so there may be an adjustment period, etc) then I don't have a problem where you rank the team.

Too often the analysis is simply lazy and misinformed (the old "it's the Bills, who is their QB, they'll be bad"). Kiper is especially bad in this regard, in his draft grade he ripped us because he said we could have drafted Mike Evans without trading last year, then ripped us for not taking Bryce Petty (who went 1.5 rounds after he thought he should) and ripped Darby, saying he's a 4th rounder when other analyst have him as a fringe 1st.

There's some good analysts out there who form solid opinions, then there are talking heads who deal in extremes and often have a clueless take. Most of the later type work for a network with 4 letters as its name.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

It seems we as Bills fans, really as sports fans in general, tend to rag on someone giving us a low grade, but love the high ones. Will anybody here be honest and disagree if someone were to rank us too high. If someone from ESPN or NFL Network were to come out and say the Bills are a top 3 team, would anybody call them out and say that's too high?

To be perfectly honest I cover the grade as I read the explanation of the grade...then look at the grade

Some of these guys really give themselves away in their narrative that they know absolutely NOTHING about the team itself when making their evalutation.....

for instance

"Should have taken a quarterback so they get a lower grade.....but hey John Miller is a beast......O'Leary won the Mackey award.....and the 7th round WR might be a steal"

ok so

We are getting marked down for not taking a QB in a weak QB draft when we didnt have a 1st round pick after we brought in 2 veteran Quarterbacks and the 3rd best QB available is probably no better the EJ Manuel

This is why we are receiving a C minus grade despite the postiive comments over only 6 picks?

I cant take an evaluation like that seriously

I've seen it here. Someone the other day said our defense was not as good as advertised.

To be perfectly honest I cover the grade as I read the explanation of the grade...then look at the grade

Some of these guys really give themselves away in their narrative that they know absolutely NOTHING about the team itself when making their evalutation.....

for instance

"Should have taken a quarterback so they get a lower grade.....but hey John Miller is a beast......O'Leary won the Mackey award.....and the 7th round WR might be a steal"

ok so

We are getting marked down for not taking a QB in a weak QB draft when we didnt have a 1st round pick after we brought in 2 veteran Quarterbacks and the 3rd best QB available is probably no better the EJ Manuel

This is why we are receiving a C minus grade despite the postiive comments over only 6 picks?

I cant take an evaluation like that seriously

The number of evaluations like this are puzzling to me also. "They didn't take a crappy QB, so I'm downgrading them. But if they passed on Miller or O'Leary to take a crappy QB, I'd give them a higher grade." :wallbash: