(OT) Mini-vans. Any advice on buying one?

PIZ

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mini-van?!?!?!

Why not cut off your balls?

232602[/snapback]

This thread wouldn't be complete without a shout out to all the mustang, camaro, and honda owners who probably felt like cutting their nuts off after getting smoked by the sleeper of all sleepers, a minivan. Check out www.turbominivan.com for a good laugh.

We bought a used Dodge Mini Caravan last summer. So far so good with it. It's a 2002 with 40,000 miles on it. The price and condition of the van was excellent. We should have picked up a minivan a long time ago.

This thread wouldn't be complete without a shout out to all the mustang, camaro, and honda owners who probably felt like cutting their nuts off after getting smoked by the sleeper of all sleepers, a minivan. Check out www.turbominivan.com for a good laugh.

232718[/snapback]

Why bother? Buy new...the Saturn Vue with Honda's 250 hp V-6.

"Saturn says 4-cyl Vue does 0-60 mph in 11.1 sec with manual transmission. We have not yet tested 4-speed automatic 4-cyl. Smooth, refined V6 and 5-speed automatic yield outstanding power and response. Saturn says 0-60 in 6.6 sec with 2WD, 6.9 with AWD. V6s tow up to 3500 lb--only on par with 4-cyl rivals. Test AWD V6 suffered some front wheelspin on wet pavement before system engaged rear wheels."

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/rev...ex.cfm/id/38229

"Saturn says 4-cyl Vue does 0-60 mph in 11.1 sec with manual transmission. We have not yet tested 4-speed automatic 4-cyl. Smooth, refined V6 and 5-speed automatic yield outstanding power and response. Saturn says 0-60 in 6.6 sec with 2WD, 6.9 with AWD. V6s tow up to 3500 lb--only on par with 4-cyl rivals. Test AWD V6 suffered some front wheelspin on wet pavement before system engaged rear wheels."

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/rev...ex.cfm/id/38229

232725[/snapback]

Putting a Honda engine in a Saturn is the equivalent of putting frosting on a piece of crap.

The Saturn of today is NOT the Saturn of the first 3 years of the company. Shoddy craftsmanship, cheesy interiors, and poor service rule the day. We had our Vue in SIX times to get the steering problems fixed. When we wanted to trade it in the wouldn't give us even 50% of it's value after only 2 years. My wife now drives an XTerra.

232725[/snapback]

No good, a sharp looking suv would attract attention. Good article here by Patrick Bedard for Car and Driver magazine, to quote:

If I could have any costume I wanted, for everyday getting-there wear, I'd choose a minivan. Those fearing they'll be seen in a minivan have it all wrong. Nobody will see you. Nobody will even look. Minivans are invisible. Nobody wants to see them. They shed witnesses like DuPont's SilverStone sheds bacon fat. Give me a light gray one, a little dusty, and I'll get down the road beneath all notice. Ever see a minivan pulled over by the speed squad? Of course not. Enforcers click on interesting cars, not appliances.

Putting a Honda engine in a Saturn is the equivalent of putting frosting on a piece of crap.

The Saturn of today is NOT the Saturn of the first 3 years of the company. Shoddy craftsmanship, cheesy interiors, and poor service rule the day.  We had our Vue in SIX times to get the steering problems fixed.  When we wanted to trade it in the wouldn't give us even 50% of it's value after only 2 years.  My wife now drives an XTerra.

232732[/snapback]

Maybe they detected something about you and gave you special treatment.

No good, a sharp looking suv would attract attention. Good article  here by Patrick Bedard for Car and Driver magazine, to quote:

If I could have any costume I wanted, for everyday getting-there wear, I'd choose a minivan. Those fearing they'll be seen in a minivan have it all wrong. Nobody will see you. Nobody will even look. Minivans are invisible. Nobody wants to see them. They shed witnesses like DuPont's SilverStone sheds bacon fat. Give me a light gray one, a little dusty, and I'll get down the road beneath all notice. Ever see a minivan pulled over by the speed squad? Of course not. Enforcers click on interesting cars, not appliances.

232734[/snapback]

Are you a career criminal? :w00t:

I wouldn't buy an American Mini-Van to save my life. Look at consumer reports and there rating aren't good. My wife and I like the Mazda MVP and since it isn't one of the top sellers you have a lot of play room when buying. However, consumer reports doesn't recomend the 05 MVP because reliability has dropped.

But if you have to do it, buy a Grand Caravan or a mid-level Town and Country.

They are both recomended by consumer reports but they still rank lover the best:

Top Minivans according to this months Consumer Reports.

1. Honda Odyssey - rated excellent

2. Toyota Siena - rated excellent

--------------------

3. Nissan Quest

4. Mazda MVP

5. Dodge Grand Caravan

6. Ford Freestar

7. Saturn Relay

8. Kia Sedona

These are the only ones they have reviewed recently.

Top Minivans according to this months Consumer Reports.

1. Honda Odyssey - rated excellent

2. Toyota Siena - rated excellent

--------------------

3. Nissan Quest

4. Mazda MVP

5. Dodge Grand Caravan

6. Ford Freestar

7. Saturn Relay

8. Kia Sedona

These are the only ones they have reviewed recently.

232802[/snapback]

I have a 2004 Honda Odyssey and absolutly love it. It is so comforatable to drive and they really put a lot of thought into the design. You have to pay a bit more, but the reliability and resale value is unmatched. Go test drive several makes, read the Consumer Report, and then decide. You will be happy you did the research...

you have to cut off your balls and stuff your "member" inside yourself...poor bastard....at least my other vehicle is a Ford F-150...

232693[/snapback]

Hey, it's not my fault!! Let me tell a true story. 2 months ago I go to a dealership where my son works as a technician. There's a car I want to buy, 02 Gran Prix. I drove it for 2 days. Price tag ON THE CAR is "$13,000, now reduced to $9,900". General Sales Mgr says "With your son working here, we've got a extra special price for you................$10,500" :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Don't kill me for this, but as a last ditch effort to salvage your manhood....

Saab 92x

Surprisingly affordable (for a Saab).

PS - If you decide you can swing this then I have an Audi to show you.  :doh:

232900[/snapback]

Hmmm, a re-badged Japanese-manufactured Subaru with the 165 hp boxer standard and the turbo version for extra cost. I'd save the 5 grand premium and buy the Subaru.

Maybe they detected something about you and gave you special treatment.

232738[/snapback]

That'd have been alot funnier if I'd actually been involved. The car was solely my wife's decision so I let her handle the entire fiasco - until I got rid of it. We can't all have your sunshiny disposition. :doh:

As a recent new dad and even more recent nerd mobile owner, I can say I love my nerd mobile. We have a 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan. If you purchase one, get one with rear air. One's without are referred to as baby cookers!!!!!!!! We paid 14,900 from Carmax with 17k miles. If you wish to own this vehicle long term, buy this van. It does not hold it's value, but if holding long term, who cares???? You don't have alot of money and need safe newer transportation for very important cargo. Honda and Toyota are the better choices by far. If you had more dough, it would be a different story. My van was 24k new. In one year, it went down 10k or so. In my opinion, by a newer used car and let someone else pay for that initial loss in value. I now have a $267.00 per month payment for 5 years on a great family vehicle. My wife and I are really really happy to have safe and affordable transportation for our new Bills fan Dylan Reeves Grandits - age 3 months as of yesterday. God Bless Our Bills!!!!!!!!!! Doug and Dylan Grandits in Clearwater

That'd have been alot funnier if I'd actually been involved.  The car was solely my wife's decision so I let her handle the entire fiasco - until I got rid of it.  We can't all have your sunshiny disposition.  :doh:

232922[/snapback]

For shame. You let wifey alone to deal with the descendants of the sons and daughters of Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves?

You're not understanding part of the job description... :lol::doh:

I'm the above poster's wife (bills/sabrefan) and felt the need to throw in my .02. I have done extensive research on minivans and couldn't wait to own one. In order to have the cargo room that I needed I would have had to get an Expedition or Suburban sized SUV and between the gas and the price of the car, there was just no way to justify the $$. I needed cargo room for the baby and all of his gear along with some extra room for all of my work stuff. The Grand Caravan fulfills our needs within our budget. There is no doubt that the Odyssey/Sienna/Quest or even the MPV are great vans but the first 3 are extremely expensive adn the MPV is small. They hold their value but if you don't have the bucks to spend initially then you are out of the running. Case in point: My mother's 2001 Honda Odyssey EX without leather retailed at MSRP in 2001 which is what she paid for it. 4 years and 100,000 miles later it is still worth over $12K.

If you can afford a car payment then use the $9K as a down payment on an Odyssey or the Quest. The Sienna, redesigned in '04, will come down in price soon due to the new 2005 Odyssey competition. Currently the Sienna is overpriced IMO, but the 2005 Hondas are going for MSRP since they are the new design. Honda re-designs each car every 5 years like clockwork and the Ody was due in 2005. If you can find a new leftover 2004 Odyssey, which is the previous design, you could get a great deal. However, the 2005 Odyssey will probably have a few kinks since it's new. Frankly I'm a little disappointed in Honda right now because they essentially thunked the front end of the CRV onto the new Odyssey. So much for creativity. The 2005 Quest should be in great shape since it's about 2 years old or so.

If you don't have the money you could get a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan for about $9K. The transmission issue with Chrysler/Dodge T & C/Grand Caravans were more of a mid-90's issue than anything that is happening currently. The biggest problem you will probably have is the a/c if anything. Don't get the Caravan. It's way too small. Definitely bump up to the Grand Caravan. If you want Flip and fold seats, etc. it will definitely cost you big bucks if you get an American van. On another note I wouldn't personally touch the Ford Aerostar/Windstar/Freestar/Deathstar POS with a 100' pole. They are notorious for build quality problems and for crapping out at about 100K.

I frequently use www.edmunds.com for car research. The discussion forums and pricing guide are my favorites. Best of luck to you.