Whaley wants Mario and Kyle to retire as Bills

If this is true, that's awesome.

Found it, this was from 3/8. Not sure if legit but this guy had a bunch of info on the hughes dealings

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 Serious suggestion made by a teammate to restructure his contract to re-sign Hughes. Not sure who but only Mario makes sense.

Found it, this was from 3/8. Not sure if legit but this guy had a bunch of info on the hughes dealings

@jchenelly: @nickellion79 Serious suggestion made by a teammate to restructure his contract to re-sign Hughes. Not sure who but only Mario makes sense.

Thinking out loud - kyles deal was actually reworked so that could be it

this being an exhibit of what i was saying with the confusion on the term. Mario should volunteer 100 times out of 100 for a basic restructure, as it would get him this years salary quicker and nearly 100% guarantees his salary/bonuses the next few years by creating large dead money if hes cut. in that sense, its not particularly awesome, its him making the right financial choice for himself.

Even if there's potential dead money, that's the risk you take in re-signing/extending a vet. How much longer do you think Mario stays productive as a starting DE? I'd give it about 5 years barring injury, myself. If he restructures to ease some cap room, in exchange for some more guaranteed money, I think it's a win for all sides assuming health and performance.

Even if there's potential dead money, that's the risk you take in re-signing/extending a vet. How much longer do you think Mario stays productive as a starting DE? I'd give it about 5 years barring injury, myself. If he restructures to ease some cap room, in exchange for some more guaranteed money, I think it's a win for all sides assuming health and performance.

extending, and restructuring are not necessarily the same thing. in fact, on a base level for conversation about NFL cap, many will separate the two terms to help define the meaning better - but not everyone does, which is a problem (and was entirely my point with calling out the declaration that its awesome a teammate would offer).

generally, a basic restructure adds no length, and does not reduce overall cap hit for the contract, it just shifts the hit around -- acquiring short term cap relief in exchange for giving up long term flexibility under what amounts to the same deal outside of accounting and timing of payments in the current year. you would have 52 bills that would offer to do that for hughes

I want to take the time, again, to thank the Pegulas, to thank Doug Marrone for being an arrogant prick, and to thank Bill Polian for being a selfish coward (in this instance, normally I love the guy) so that we could be so fortunate as to have the El Petulante/Rex Roman/Doug Whaley leadership of our beloved team. It could be a long great trip.

I'm glad Polian didn't return. The guy lives in the "old" NFL. I know our roster is kind of setup like that right now, but I feel we have a lot of talent that might push us over the top into the playoffs. I guess it's just wait and see now.

As usual, thanks for the write-up NS. :thumbsup:

no prob -- its also entirely possible that it was meant as a player volunteering for something more noteworthy but its sometimes hard to tell. reporters tend to be pretty good with using the terms with explicit meaning implied, but random twitter folks, you really never know.

it could be awesome.... or it could simply be a guy saying hes willing to accept something in his best interest (still could benefit the team, but i wouldnt praise him)

I want to take the time, again, to thank the Pegulas, to thank Doug Marrone for being an arrogant prick, and to thank Bill Polian for being a selfish coward (in this instance, normally I love the guy) so that we could be so fortunate as to have the El Petulante/Rex Roman/Doug Whaley leadership of our beloved team. It could be a long great trip.

:thumbsup: