The dangers of our new normal...

SSi5asFd3Yo.jpg

Wait a minute … what is wrong with this picture?

Feds apparently have never heard of a mirror

After two years, the WH finally responded to the online petition to exonerate Snowden:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/pardon-edward-snowden

Thanks for signing a petition about Edward Snowden. This is an issue that many Americans feel strongly about. Because his actions have had serious consequences for our national security, we took this matter to Lisa Monaco, the President's Advisor on Homeland Security and Counterterrorism. Here's what she had to say:

"Since taking office, President Obama has worked with Congress to secure appropriate reforms that balance the protection of civil liberties with the ability of national security professionals to secure information vital to keep Americans safe.

As the President said in announcing recent intelligence reforms, "We have to make some important decisions about how to protect ourselves and sustain our leadership in the world, while upholding the civil liberties and privacy protections that our ideals and our Constitution require."

Instead of constructively addressing these issues, Mr. Snowden's dangerous decision to steal and disclose classified information had severe consequences for the security of our country and the people who work day in and day out to protect it.

If he felt his actions were consistent with civil disobedience, then he should do what those who have taken issue with their own government do: Challenge it, speak out, engage in a constructive act of protest, and -- importantly -- accept the consequences of his actions. He should come home to the United States, and be judged by a jury of his peers -- not hide behind the cover of an authoritarian regime. Right now, he's running away from the consequences of his actions.

We live in a dangerous world. We continue to face grave security threats like terrorism, cyber-attacks, and nuclear proliferation that our intelligence community must have all the lawful tools it needs to address. The balance between our security and the civil liberties that our ideals and our Constitution require deserves robust debate and those who are willing to engage in it here at home."

WikiLeaks is "Drowning in material" according to Spiegel ( http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/spiegel-interview-with-wikileaks-head-julian-assange-a-1044399.html#ref=rss ) and just released this NSA related batch:

NSA Outmanuevered Europe on Torture:

I'm still looking at the source documents, but thought I'd stick this in this thread.

https://wikileaks.org/nsa-germany/

Ever since the Boston attack, good old Julian has mattered less and less. With each new attack by radical Islam, his relevance disappears. I wonder what he's doing now to impress the ladies? :rolleyes: I also wonder what else this "hacker" has actually hacked. Seems like all he has done is be the guy willing to post what our traitors have stolen. Yeah, a "hacker" whose cred stems from running a wiki. :lol:

If we continue to have attacks, and lets hope we don't, Snowden and Assange and Bradley "I did it because I'm gay" :rolleyes: Manning(hey don't cry to me, that was his defense at his trial) aren't going to end up being bad guys, they are going to end up being nobodys. They are already teetering on that status now.

subscription fee.

can we get the cliffs notes version

Snippets - FYI, if you copy the WSJ headline into the Googlebot, you can access the full story through the search:

Its (Chinese) government is pushing to rewrite the rules of the global Internet, aiming to draw the world’s largest group of Internet users away from an interconnected global commons and to increasingly run parts of the Internet on China’s terms.

President Xi Jinping—with the help of conservatives in government, academia, military and the technology industry—is moving to exert influence over virtually every part of the digital world in China, from semiconductors to social media. In doing so, Mr. Xi is trying to fracture the international system that makes the Internet basically the same everywhere, and is pressuring foreign companies to help

Under Mr. Lu, Beijing intensified pressure on Western media and on local activists and social-media users. He invited a number of the country’s most prominent users of a microblogging service called Weibo to dinner at a posh Western-style restaurant and warned them against spreading rumors, one attendee recalls.

That was followed by a series of detentions of popular Weibo users. Others became more timid about using the service. In February, the government announced new rules that require users to register real names and refrain from posting information that violates national interests.

This April, after complaining that Weibo users were spreading rumors harmful to the state, Mr. Lu’s office threatened to shut down services operated by Weibo parent Sina if it didn’t work harder to police content online. Sina executives quoted by Xinhua pledged to intensify censorship. Its service remains operational.

Spain fines citizen for calling cops slackers on his Facebook:

A young man in Spain has been fined for calling the police lazy in a Facebook post – becoming the first citizenicon1.png to fall foul of a series of controversial new “gag” laws.

The 27-year-old man, identified only as Eduardo D in national media reports, described the localicon1.png police force as a “class of slackers” in a series of online posts which he described as humorous.

The Spanish senate approved the Citizen Security Law in March, and its effects came into force at the start of July. It has been widely criticised with UN human rights experts stating it would “unnecessarily and disproportionately restrict basic freedoms”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/spanish-man-fined-up-to-600-under-new-gag-laws-for-calling-police-slackers-in-facebook-post-10424251.html

Bernie voted against the Patriot Act because he doesn't think its necessary to violate citizens privacy and freedom to protect us from terrorism. Something to think about ...

Does he care that 90%+ of the provisions of PATRIOT were available to various law enforcement officials before the passage of the act, but were just dispersed across various jurisdictions?

Does he care that 90%+ of the provisions of PATRIOT were available to various law enforcement officials before the passage of the act, but were just dispersed across various jurisdictions?

It's always the fine print that gets ya'. As it was with the Patriot Act.

I don't know. I just know that he didn't vote for the Patriot Act and his reasons as he tells it unlike Clinton, McCain, Santorum, and Lieberman among many others.

And, I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment. Do you have any proof of this?

I don't know. I just know that he didn't vote for the Patriot Act and his reasons as he tells it unlike Clinton, McCain, Santorum, and Lieberman among many others.

And, I'm not so sure I agree with your assessment. Do you have any proof of this?

So you're thrilled that he voted against the law on ideological grounds, rather than for its content. Good for you.

For the second part, do your own homework Sue.

So you're thrilled that he voted against the law on ideological grounds, rather than for its content. Good for you.

For the second part, do your own homework Sue.

I'm not going to do homework to prove your point. If it's such a great point you're making, prove it.

Until I see otherwise I'll take it as hogwash.

I'm not going to do homework to prove your point. If it's such a great point you're making, prove it.

Until I see otherwise I'll take it as hogwash.

Google is your friend, not hard to find the text of the Act. Think of it as an educational experience, as opposed to listening to your caremasters.

Google is your friend, not hard to find the text of the Act. Think of it as an educational experience, as opposed to listening to your caremasters.

You made the point. It's up to you to produce the backup info. I'm not your research assistant.

Don't make comments if you can't back 'em up.

Besides, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, Google is not my friend. They record everything you do and sell the info to others and turn it over to the Fed when they're subpenaed for it.

Edited by reddogblitz

You made the point. It's up to you to produce the backup info. I'm not your research assistant.

Don't make comments if you can't back 'em up.

Besides, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, Google is not my friend. They record everything you do and sell the info to others and turn it over to the Fed when they're subpenaed for it.

So do the cookies of this site.