The dangers of our new normal...

When a wise man hears of the Tao,

he immediately begins to live it.

When an average man hears of the Tao,

he believes some of it and doubts the rest.

When a foolish man hears of the Tao,

he laughs out loud at the very idea.

If it were not for that laugh,

it would not be the Tao.

On the other hand, you have to question the wisdom of a book that gives such sage advice as "Ruling the universe is like cooking a small fish." :huh:

On the other hand, you have to question the wisdom of a book that gives such sage advice as "Ruling the universe is like cooking a small fish." :huh:

True, though I always took that passage to mean good governance takes time. But I remember first reading that section and coming away confused and believing I was being punk'd from the beyond by Lao-Tzu.

True, though I always took that passage to mean good governance takes time. But I remember first reading that section and coming away confused and believing I was being punk'd from the beyond by Lao-Tzu.

I have a few different translations. The best (i.e. least confusing) one I have for that passage is "Ruling the universe is like cooking a small fish. Don't poke at it!"

This is the prevailing opinion IMHO. Especially all of the tech nitwits and kids. A very smart person I know who loves facebook/t

I find it creepy.

I think you are just caught up in the group think of all this. I can't even keep up all the nonsense posts in this this thread yet you actually think some out there is reading everything posted or tweeted? That's silly

I think you are just caught up in the group think of all this. I can't even keep up all the nonsense posts in this this thread yet you actually think some out there is reading everything posted or tweeted? That's silly

Tweets and posts are public, you idiot.

You don't actually know what "groupthink" is, do you? It's consensus achieved by a shared desire to avoid conflict or disharmony.

Let me repeat: It's consensus achieved by a shared desire to avoid conflict or disharmony.

What part of "desire to avoid conflict or disharmony" sounds at all like PPP to you? :wallbash:

You don't actually know what "groupthink" is, do you? It's consensus achieved by a shared desire to avoid conflict or disharmony.

Let me repeat: It's consensus achieved by a shared desire to avoid conflict or disharmony.

What part of "desire to avoid conflict or disharmony" sounds at all like PPP to you? :wallbash:

Sorry to bother your circle jerk! Carry on! :thumbsup:

Hope the government/Exxon doesn't save this, lol :lol:

Tweets and posts are public, you idiot.

Which doesn't contradict anything I said bottom feeder

Even when said communication and information is being tracked, stored, and swayed more than ever by big government and big corporate interests? Again, this isn't the point of this topic but it's still a point you're woefully ignorant about.

The issue is privacy and the government's complete invasion of it. So, I'll ask you again. You stated this kind of power has always been possible, explain that to me. How has it always been possible for government to infringe on the privacy of its people when the technology to do so has only recently (in terms of the totality of history) been developed?

You are saying people had a right to privacy in Nazi Germany? That's stupid! I thought you said you were smart?

You are saying people had a right to privacy in Nazi Germany? That's stupid! I thought you said you were smart?

:huh:

Where did I ever say that? No wonder you're so lost in this thread, you have to do more than read the words on the page. You have to understand them before responding.

Where did I ever say that? No wonder you're so lost in this thread, you have to do more than read the words on the page. You have to understand them before responding.

I said that governments didn't need the powers they had now to invade privacy and you said they did too and asked for when it was possible in the past, I showed you and you are now shocked? I thought you said you were really smart? Oh, you did say that!

2) Nazi Germany and the Gestapo NEVER had the kind of power to restrict privacy that exists today. Learn your history before you use it to bolster your argument. You're very bad at this.

You mean they couldn't just walk into someones house whenever they wanted to? To search bank accounts, to torture people for information? Heck, to simply arrest without cause, that kind of violates a persons privacy I d say. You mean they couldn't do stuff like that? You mean things like that?

Gosh you are smart

Oh, and what the heck, I'd also just like to throw out there that is the government is reading everything, streamlining it and categorizing it and all that to try and stop a terrorist attack, I'm pretty cool with that. Terrorists attacks pretty much suck and I hope they do what they have to to stop them.

Not until he passes the TOEFL.

You can do it, gatorman. You know what they say...fifty-seventh time's the charm.

You mean they couldn't just walk into someones house whenever they wanted to? To search bank accounts, to torture people for information? Heck, to simply arrest without cause, that kind of violates a persons privacy I d say. You mean they couldn't do stuff like that? You mean things like that?

You're right, the Nazis absolutely did do that. I'm going out on a limb with this, but I'm assuming you view such acts perpetrated by the Nazis to be a bad thing. If that's the case, then why is it okay for our government to do essentially the same thing without having to arrest people or enter their homes?

If you truly believe what you said about the Nazis, then you understand exactly what the rest if us are angry about with regard to private/personal data collection by our own government.

Which means that you are either too stupid to understand what's going on in your own head, or that you are a liar who just enjoys arguing with people.

You're right, the Nazis absolutely did do that. I'm going out on a limb with this, but I'm assuming you view such acts perpetrated by the Nazis to be a bad thing. If that's the case, then why is it okay for our government to do essentially the same thing without having to arrest people or enter their homes?

If you truly believe what you said about the Nazis, then you understand exactly what the rest if us are angry about with regard to private/personal data collection by our own government.

Which means that you are either too stupid to understand what's going on in your own head, or that you are a liar who just enjoys arguing with people.

Thanks! Yup, data collect is really just like the Gestapo breaking into peoples house and taking them away for torture! And here I thought your group wasn't thinking totally that way. Thank you again.

Thanks! Yup, data collect is really just like the Gestapo breaking into peoples house and taking them away for torture! And here I thought your group wasn't thinking totally that way. Thank you again.

You really have to make an effort to be so freaking stupid. If your ignorance wasn't so entertaining, nobody would pay you any attention at all.

But you're the (*^*&%^$^#that compared invasion of privacy in the US to Gestapo tactics to begin with. Greg asked when in history was it possible to abridge freedoms as can be done now, and you specifically said "The Gestapo did it physically."

You actually dismissed concerns about the abridgement of rights with a "No big deal, Nazi's did it too" argument (which any sane person would consider an argument FOR concern, not against). Then you dismiss your own backwards reducto ad absurdum fallacious argument with a straw man fallacy that invasion of privacy is not the same as Nacht und Nebel.

You've managed to create an entirely new kind of logical fallacy. Literally. What you have done - contradicting one's own ridiculous logic with an equally ridiculous straw man, both based on a complete confusion of two distinct topics - has never before been formally identified in the two and a half millenia of the existence of logic itself.

The Gatorman Fallacy. Something entirely new and different in the field of logic. I could publish a paper on this.