Kiko provides inside look on trade, via NFL.com

The Kiko Alonso trade makes sense.

The Bills 2014 defense was a top 5 defense in total yards. Adding Kiko back into the equation would have picked up what? at best 1 or maybe 2 slots? which might have had an impact of opposing teams gaining 10 fewer yards per game? Not a massive impact.

Whereas adding McCoy could, potentially, increase our running back performance by anywhere from 10-100%. Excluding McCoy's rookie year, his worst production equaled the Bills RB tandems 2014 #s and his best year, 2013, he doubled it. Even if you look at last year's product (1300 yds) he would have increased the Bills' running production by approximately 50%.

Dispassionately, bringing in McCoy has more potential upside than keeping Alonso.

the article doesn't really live up to its headline.

Kiko was a risk. Not only weak knees, but off-field. I always thought the circumstances he provided regarding his most recent ACL injury were sketchy.

This.

Also, I always had the nagging feeling that the FO, and especially Whaley, felt the same way. It felt like the FO made a dry, obligatory statement when it happened, and then they TOTALLY moved on from Kiko. Imagine if Dareus or Mario popped an ACL. You'd be getting weekly updates from the FO. Kiko, notsomuch.

When I heard Kiko was traded, I thought maybe Whaley had been looking forward to getting value for Kiko.

Either that, or the Bills sensed that the rehab wasnt going well, or wasnt going to end well, and nobody but Chip Kelly would pay for Kiko anyway.

Edited by maddenboy

Ok, been biting my tongue but this is the kind of trade that one day we will look back upon and be surprised. Not like Lynch, no. This will likely be, at least what I feel, to be a trade where in 10 years we have long forgotten McCoy - 5 years or something beforehand, and Kiko Alonso is still one of the best LB's in the game.

The perception will remind people of Seau.

Guy has had two ACL injuries and he's only been in the NFL a year. What makes you think his knees will hold up and what makes you think those injuries won't negate his greatest attribute - his sideline to sideline speed.

I agree with you that he could end up being an all time great but with his injury history I'm skeptical. And the Bills don't have to "win" this trade anyway, they just needed to make a move that would improve their overall team, and I think they did.

kiko's wheels are problematic.. his agility makes him valuable.. another severe knee injury could make him just another LB with great football sense who can't catch up to the play.. hoping that doesn't happen to the kid, but it's a reality

I think he has a skill set that is uniquely suited to the modern game. A LB that is disruptive against the run, has the coverage skills of a strong safety and a penchant for violence is a perfect match for the way the game is played. McCoy is special and if we can get a good line in front of him, he will get the job done and the trade will end up being a win-win situation.

I have been watching the tape on all of McCoy's carries on game-rewind and he is amazing to watch. He also has had some really nice holes to run through and one of the few mediocre seasons he has had was when there were injuries to the offensive line. In 2012, they lost four out of five starters on the line and McCoy ran for only 840 yard on the season. Not bad given that he missed 4 games due to a concussion but still, for him, it was a bad year. I realize its not exactly breaking news to suggest that no matter how good he is, not even a runner as talented as McCoy can make plays behind a weak OL. I gotta believe that as active as the Bills have been this offseason that they are going to address the OL situation beyond the addition of Incognito.