Watching the super bowl once again confirms my

The other teams in the league just dont seem to get it.....including ours....

New England LOVES when a team they are going to face puts the emphasis of winning and losing onto the QB's shoulders.....yeah they defend everyone else to....but they REALLY focus in on what the QB is doing....that is why they make every QB regardless of talent level they face look like CRAP

The team that figures out the way to take their own QB completely out of their winning game plan will be the one to send the pats home.....

Namely.....

- You must be able to run the ball...NO MATTER WHAT....even if you are just grinding out a small clip at a time....and BE PATIENT

- You must have a defense that is solid AND opportunistic

- You must understand the moment in those 2 to 3 times a game when you have a chance to make a big time play

Congrats to the Patriots.....I dont care what the point spread was when you win 3 super bowls in that close of proximity that is a great accomplishment.....

Namely.....

- You must be able to run the ball...NO MATTER WHAT....even if you are just grinding out a small clip at a time....and BE PATIENT

- You must understand the moment in those 2 to 3 times a game when you have a chance to make a big time play

Congrats to the Patriots.....I dont care what the point spread was when you win 3 super bowls in that close of proximity that is a great accomplishment.....

230538[/snapback]

I agree with these points, but

1. Check out the teams ne plays twice in the same season. The second time they meet the running game seems to be non existant, and most teams don't seem to be able to compensate for that lack of a run game. Ne just shuts the run down the second time they play you, and well it's never pretty after that.

2. True but theres another dilema. People can talk about Peyton Manning all they want. I don't see a better qb in the nfl at reading a defense and recognizing where the blitz is coming better than Tom Brady. You can send the house but if you don't get there you're screwed. That and Ne's oline for being underpaid picks up their assignments well. Matt Light absolutly handled the freak tonight, and it forced philly to come with zone blitzes, and the pats started picking them apart in 2nd half.

I'd like to add my own 2 cents for what it's worth and it's not much lol

1. I think in order to beat ne you gotta utilize a te. To me it seems when I watch the pats play the teams that have the most success offensivly are the teams that have some type of weapon at the te position. Does it have to be an all star te- no, but an above average threat at that position is needed.

2. This is probably the hardest, but you got to get pressure with your front 4. Ne Loves those quick short passes. If you're forced to have to blitz backers and db's, Brady will just hit those quick slants right where your lb's would've been.

3. Deep passing game. This seems to be the biggest of the pats weaknesses even with ty law and tyrone poole. Hit them deep and do it often. They want you to throw short. It lets their lb's make plays. Remember the basis of running a 3-4 defense is telling you their strength is their lb'ing core. Make their safeties cover deep.

To Me it seems the team that is patient and not over oportunistic but takes their chances and doesn't try to get cute is the team that has the best chance to dethrone ne. I know easier said than done, but it's gotta happen eventually right? :doh:

I agree with these points, but

1.  Check out the teams ne plays twice in the same season. The second time they meet the running game seems to be non existant, and most teams don't seem to be able to compensate for that lack of a run game.  Ne just shuts the run down the second time they play you, and well it's never pretty after that.

2.  True but theres another dilema. People can talk about Peyton Manning all they want.  I don't see a better qb in the nfl at reading a defense and recognizing where the blitz is coming better than Tom Brady.  You can send the house but if you don't get there you're screwed.  That and Ne's oline for being underpaid picks up their assignments well. Matt Light absolutly handled the freak tonight, and it forced philly to come with zone blitzes, and the pats started picking them apart in 2nd half.

I'd like to add my own 2 cents for what it's worth and it's not much lol

1.  I think in order to beat ne you gotta utilize a te.  To me it seems when I watch the pats play the teams that have the most success offensivly are the teams that have some type of weapon at the te position.  Does it have to be an all star te- no, but an above average threat at that position is needed.

2.  This is probably the hardest, but you got to get pressure with your front 4.  Ne Loves those quick short passes.  If you're forced to have to blitz backers and db's, Brady will just hit those quick slants right where your lb's would've been.

3. Deep passing game. This seems to be the biggest of the pats weaknesses even with ty law and tyrone poole.  Hit them deep and do it often. They want you to throw short. It lets their lb's make plays. Remember the basis of running a 3-4 defense is telling you their strength is their lb'ing core.  Make their safeties cover deep.

To Me it seems the team that is patient and not over oportunistic but takes their chances and doesn't try to get cute is the team that has the best chance to dethrone ne.  I know easier said than done, but it's gotta happen eventually right? :doh:

230547[/snapback]

The one thing I noticed about the game was the Pats made an overpursing eagles D pay by utilizing the screen pass..

Once again a "statue" at QB wins the SB! AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, John, I agree about the running game. You also need a stout Defense like the Pats had even when their best corner is not even playing.

This is all about team and some proclaiming that only 1 player on the roster is holding us back is utter rot. Tom Brady had a very bad day compared to other playoff games. More proof that you don't need a Manning at QB to win championships.

Excellent post!

Tom Brady had a very bad day compared to other playoff games.  More proof that you don't need a Manning at QB to win championships. 

230550[/snapback]

Brady had a bad first half, but look at his overall game. He turned it up in the second half and the Eagles D could not stop the Patriots at all.

I agree John. It was also a huge mistake to abandon the one clear mismatch the Eagles had, which was Westbrook against ANY defender. There were numerous times when DM looked off Westbrook and he was WIDE open and could have made a big play.

When Westbrook dropped that pass late with about 25 yards of open field in front of him, I knew it was over.

New England LOVES when a team they are going to face puts the emphasis of winning and losing onto the QB's shoulders.....yeah they defend everyone else to....but they REALLY focus in on what the QB is doing....that is why they make every QB regardless of talent level they face look like CRAP

The team that figures out the way to take their own QB completely out of their winning game plan will be the one to send the pats home.....

Namely.....

230538[/snapback]

You forgot one...

You MUST get pressure on Tom Brady. The only time he loses is when he's forced into mistakes. This is Jerry Gray's numero uno mission.

Who in their right mind would call Brady a statue? He's the most mobile QB in the league (Bill Walsh says this and I agree). He slides in the pocket so well. Mobility is more than just being black and being able to run. It's the instincts to set up your blocks and move subtlely to avoid getting sacked and buy more time.

Who in their right mind would call Brady a statue?  He's the most mobile QB in the league (Bill Walsh says this and I agree).  He slides in the pocket so well.  Mobility is more than just being black and being able to run.  It's the instincts to set up your blocks and move subtlely to avoid getting sacked and buy more time.

231193[/snapback]

I don't think the term "most mobile" is appropriate. He certainly has the best "game/situational awareness."

Steve Young wasn't black and he's probably the most mobile QB in NFL history.

Miami didn't run the ball real well against them. Neither did we last year. I'm not saying you should throw every down against them, but I don't think there's a particular formula for beating their defense. You just have to hit a deep pass or 2 and don't make any mistakes.

Defensively, you have to be better than solid; because Brady will pick apart a "solid" defense all day long.

You're right about the opportunistic part though. If you only have one chance all game to intercept a ball, you have to make the play.

4 keys to beating the Pats

1- Minimal or no turnovers

2- You must run to create balance (as mentioned, even if it is not "working")

3- Test their coverage deep (easier said than done)

4- Get middle pressure (not outside) on Brady.

Seems like alot to ask but I have seen no other way to beat them. :lol:

Miami didn't run the ball real well against them.  Neither did we last year.  I'm not saying you should throw every down against them, but I don't think there's a particular formula for beating their defense.  You just have to hit a deep pass or 2 and don't make any mistakes.   

Defensively, you have to be better than solid; because Brady will pick apart a "solid" defense all day long. 

You're right about the opportunistic part though.  If you only have one chance all game to intercept a ball, you have to make the play.

231243[/snapback]

Commitment to the run is more important than success.