Fish in process of extending Tannehill

YoloinOhio

Do a comparison of their first year stats. They were about the same if you extrapolate a 16 game season for manual, with tannehills td/int rate significantly worse. If you don't extrapolate they are at least comparable.

was manuel given the same opportunity as tannehill? Absolutely not. Neither would have tannehill

I know, I know....the eye test

Who cares about their first year stats? The only reason EJ didn't play 16 games his first year was his injuries. He was handed the job in 2014, put up Tim Tebow numbers, and got yanked. Tanny won his first 3 games in his second season by playing well and putting up good numbers.

Manuel was given the same opportunity and was bad. Had Tanny played as bad as EJ, he would've been yanked.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about their first year stats? The only reason EJ didn't play 16 games his first year was his injuries. He was handed the job in 2014, put up Tim Tebow numbers, and got yanked. Tanny won his first 3 games in his second season by playing well and putting up good numbers.

Manuel was given the same opportunity and was bad. Had Tanny played as bad as EJ, he would've been yanked.

I see you conveniently attribute the first 3 tannehill wins to keeping him in but the 4 straight losses afterwards certainly wouldn't have been tolerated with manuel.

Kind of like how 2 straight losses got manuel benched after 2 straight wins.

passer rating tannehill

game

1 82

2 107

3 94

4 57

5 86

6 71

7 60

passer rating manuel

1 91

2 98

3 85

4 59

Manuel did not have the same opportunity to grow as tannehill.

Edited by What a Tuel

I see you conveniently attribute the first 3 tannehill wins to keeping him in but the 4 straight losses afterwards certainly wouldn't have been tolerated with manuel.

Kind of like how 2 straight losses got manuel benched after 2 straight wins.

passer rating tannehill

game

1 82

2 107

3 94

4 57

5 86

6 71

7 60

passer rating manuel

1 91

2 98

3 85

4 59

Manuel did not have the same opportunity to grow as tannehill.

Because he was worse. It's okay to admit it. Manuel has always been worse. More importantly, Manuel's best games don't hold a candle to Tanny's. And Manuel's worst games were worse than Tanny's.

I hate when someone tries to argue I'm conveniently misconstruing things, then posts just passe ratings. A 16/24 for 194 yards game is not as impressive as 23/34 for 319.

Here's a fun stat. In games where Manuel had to throw +30 times, he was 1-6. You know what that tells me? He couldn't win games without a strong run game and defense. Look at Tanny, in 2013, he was 7-7 in games he had to throw +30 times. Do you have confidence that EJ could go 7-7 in 2014 having to throw 30-40 times a game?

EJ was afforded time to develop. His play and injuries cut that time short. IMO, he needed to come out in the second year and play well enough to inspire some of his teammates and he didn't. It was sink or swim.

Edited by FireChan

Because he was worse. It's okay to admit it. Manuel has always been worse. More importantly, Manuel's best games don't hold a candle to Tanny's. And Manuel's worst games were worse than Tanny's.

I hate when someone tries to argue I'm conveniently misconstruing things, then posts just passe ratings. A 16/24 for 194 yards game is not as impressive as 23/34 for 319.

Here's a fun stat. In games where Manuel had to throw +30 times, he was 1-6. You know what that tells me? He couldn't win games without a strong run game and defense. Look at Tanny, in 2013, he was 7-7 in games he had to throw +30 times. Do you have confidence that EJ could go 7-7 in 2014 having to throw 30-40 times a game?

EJ was afforded time to develop. His play and injuries cut that time short. IMO, he needed to come out in the second year and play well enough to inspire some of his teammates and he didn't. It was sink or swim.

I actually dont think that EJ was afforded time to develop

But

We simply dont have the time.....we have a defense that is good enough to win a championship right now and cannot afford to wait around let EJ figure it out.....

He either wins the job from a established vet this next year or he doesnt

I still hold to the impression that Tannehill loses 4 in a row for us, and the fans and the former regime, would have been tearing their hair out that he isn't the answer and a bust. He would have been benched for whatever veteran we had at the time.

In those first 3 wins Tannehill went:

24/38 for 272 yds 1 td 1 int

23/34 for 319 yds 1 td

24/35 for 236 yds 2 tds 1 int

In those 4 losses Tannehill went:

22/35 for 249 yds 1 td 3 ints

21/40 for 307 yds 1 td

19/37 for 194 yds 3 tds 2 ints

22/42 for 192 yds 2 tds 2 ints

for clarity in his 4 2014 games Manuel went:

16/22 for 173 yds 1 td 1 int

16/26 for 202 yds 1 td

23/39 for 238 yds 1 td

21/44 for 225 yds 2 tds 2 ints

We do not know the answer to your question about Manuel in 2014 because he was not given the time to afford it. Maybe he isn't a 40 pass a game QB, but we were a running team in the first place aren't we? And John may be right, we may not have time to actually develop a QB, but then we shouldn't be drafting QB's with the expectation that they get it right within the first 14 games they play.

Edited by What a Tuel