RIP Dean Smith

Reed83HOF

A pioneer in college basketball, and an even better human being. His health had been rapidly deteriorating in recent years and while I'm saddened by his passing, it doesn't come as a huge surprise. Still, it's shocking to come to the realization he's gone. I'm very fortunate to have had an opportunity to attend Carolina while he was still coaching and witness a legend first hand.

RIP Dean

rip.

but i'm still a duke fan

A pioneer in college basketball, and an even better human being. His health had been rapidly deteriorating in recent years and while I'm saddened by his passing, it doesn't come as a huge surprise. Still, it's shocking to come to the realization he's gone. I'm very fortunate to have had an opportunity to attend Carolina while he was still coaching and witness a legend first hand.

RIP Dean

just curious if you know many of the stories - the not so spoken of things - about the guy? being there in the area i'm sure you know alum from the school and probably have heard some of the reality of what this guy did as a coach.

rip.

but i'm still a duke fan

just curious if you know many of the stories - the not so spoken of things - about the guy? being there in the area i'm sure you know alum from the school and probably have heard some of the reality of what this guy did as a coach.

It's really too much to mention briefly. He began the whole concept of the Carolina "family" -- I've honestly never heard anyone say a negative thing about him (outside of idiot fans criticizing a game situation). How many people can you say that about? Little things you see in games -- players pointing at the player who made the assist after a basket, for example -- are things he started at Carolina to promote playing "together." You've heard the old joke that the only man who could hold Michael Jordan under 20 pts a game was Dean Smith. That exemplified what he was all about. Look at all of his former players -- they love the man unconditionally, without exception.

He "should" have won more national championships, but some of his best teams suffered some very bad luck at the worst moments.

And I'm not even talking about his role in improving race relations...he was truly a pioneer.

Rich Eisen ‏@richeisen 2m2 minutes ago

Stuart Scott now has his all-time best with him to talk Tar Heels hoops. RIP, Dean Smith.

Helluva coach

Don't forget Jimmy V is there too.

Prayers for his family and friends.

Feel blessed I got to see him coach in a NCAA tournament game in Denton Texas vs Texas A&M .