Mariotta to the J-E-T-S??

KDIGGZ

I want Shane Ray at 6, or Cooper. But just like the 2008 draft we won one too many games, and will miss out on the two guys that can really help us. Not a fan of Mariota becuase he should NOT play day one. He needs at least a half season to sit and learn. And if the Jets take him there will be way too much pressure to start him day one. He will be a deer in the headlights by week 8. I actually like the kid, so I don't want the Jets and the NYC Media to destroy him.

I want Foles as our starter. He has just enough experince to hit the ground running an appease a pretty frustrated fan base. Jets fans aren't like Bills fans. We haven't seen the post season in 4 years and we are ready to burn down Florham Park. I have no idea how yall have accepted 15 years of futility.

I think you will see Foles and a couple of picks come your way. Which is great for the Jets to be honest. When Foles was coming out I thought that he would be a near-perfect fit for Chan Gailey's system, since it was somewhat similar to the system he ran at Arizona and was hoping we would draft him. Highly under rated coming out of college.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eli has the last name so he had a longr leash to begin with. He has been nearly run out of town numerous times. The Giants got hot twice. Given how patient folks are with QBs these days, Mariotta might not have long if he struggles.

I think Mariotta is quite good and actually thought he played well in the championship game; it's the defense that let Oregon down. He put up points and yards against OSU, which was clearly the best team in college football by the end of the season.

Anyway, I think that Mariotta's limitations are relatively easy to overcome - he's smart, a great athlete, clutch, and has both a good arm and good size. What's not to like outside of his playing in a non-pro oriented system? He played well against good competition (and the talent in the Pac 12 the last couple of years is better than you think it is - UCLA will have 3 defensive players drafted in the top 70 players). Bear in mind that Drew Brees ran a spread offense in college too.

I think Mariotta is quite good and actually thought he played well in the championship game; it's the defense that let Oregon down. He put up points and yards against OSU, which was clearly the best team in college football by the end of the season.

Anyway, I think that Mariotta's limitations are relatively easy to overcome - he's smart, a great athlete, clutch, and has both a good arm and good size. What's not to like outside of his playing in a non-pro oriented system? He played well against good competition (and the talent in the Pac 12 the last couple of years is better than you think it is - UCLA will have 3 defensive players drafted in the top 70 players). Bear in mind that Drew Brees ran a spread offense in college too.

He put up points and yards on two drives. The rest he looked terrified of OSUs speed.

He put up points and yards on two drives. The rest he looked terrified of OSUs speed.

At one point he was 20-26 for 262 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 turnovers, and his receivers made two egregious, game-changing drops on what would have been drive-saving big completions. He should have been 22-26 for about 290 yards and 2 TDs. That's an NFL passer rating of 138.8. But Oregon's defense couldn't stop OSU. Oregon gave up 300 yards rushing and 538 yards total, for chrissake.

Edited by dave mcbride

At one point he was 20-26 for 262 yards, 2 TDs, and 0 turnovers, and his receivers made two egregious, game-changing drops on what would have been drive-saving big completions. But Oregon's defense couldn't stop OSU.

The opening drive was accounted for 66 of those yards and one score. He went on to put up 134 yards after that in the first half while never completing a pass more than 25 yards (and only two or three over 20). The first play of the second half he struck for one deep ball (70 yards for a score) then proceeded to put up 47 passing yards and a pick over the next 30 minutes of football.

That game hurt his stock in a big way. It exposed his limitations as a passer. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and watched Oregon play a ton (as a west coaster we get them a lot). He's got tools but he's undoubtedly a project, he's not ready to be a plug and play starter IMO and probably needs two or three years on the bench to learn -- the only exception would be if the Eagles take him, then Kelly can put him right in to the system that was built for him in the first place.

I hope he becomes a good QB in the league because he's a great guy from all accounts, I just don't see it being a seamless transition at all.

I want Foles as our starter. He has just enough experince to hit the ground running an appease a pretty frustrated fan base. Jets fans aren't like Bills fans. We haven't seen the post season in 4 years and we are ready to burn down Florham Park. I have no idea how yall have accepted 15 years of futility.

We consoled ourselves that we were not Jest fans and changed team Allegiance along with laundry.

As long as Gailey is the OC it doesn't matter who they have... Not worried.

Gailey is a good offense schemer but needs a strong coach to keep him from getting tricky or predictable. It is compromise between two he does not do well.