Seahawks offer Marshawn Lynch huge extension

YoloinOhio

exactly...RBs are a dime a dozen...they could have signed 4 RBs who could replace Lynches numbers.

Actually, if Claytons number is correct and Lynch signed for 11m... With RBs being a dime a dozen, the Seahawks could have signed well over a BILLION running backs for what they signed Marshawn for. Surely out of a billion of them, they probably could have upgraded.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if Claytons number is correct and Lynch signed for 11m... With RBs being a dime a dozen, the Seahawks could have signed well over a BILLION running backs for what they signed Marshawn for. Surely out of a billion of them, they probably could have upgraded.

Justin Forsett had a better year than McCoy last year, and Laveon Bell, a mid-second rounder, is probably a top 3 back right now (and played better than McCoy, who is good, last season). Alfred Morris had over 1600 yard three seasons ago and has never rushed for under 1000 yards. That's the logic behind the argument for not overpaying or overvaluing RBs. If you want to look at a team that paid the price for overvaluing 1st round RBs, just look at the Bills: their seven first round rb picks since the late 1970s have been Terry Miller, Booker Moore, Ronnie Harmon, Antowain Smith, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, and CJ Spiller. Every one of those situations ended badly.

Justin Forsett had a better year than McCoy last year, and Laveon Bell, a mid-second rounder, is probably a top 3 back right now (and played better than McCoy, who is good, last season). Alfred Morris had over 1600 yard three seasons ago and has never rushed for under 1000 yards. That's the logic behind the argument for not overpaying or overvaluing RBs. If you want to look at a team that paid the price for overvaluing 1st round RBs, just look at the Bills: their seven first round rb picks since the late 1970s have been Terry Miller, Booker Moore, Ronnie Harmon, Antowain Smith, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch, and CJ Spiller. Every one of those situations ended badly.

The Bills essentially traded a 2nd round pick from 2 years ago for McCoy. Why are you referencing former first rounders? The Bills lack of effective investment in the O-line for 15 years is a far bigger fault of previous regimes. The Bills always had the runners, but used other teams' cast offs to block for them. I would say that has been the bigger problem. The Bills 1 - 2 punch will not include a former first rounder for 2015. If Whaley can seriously improve the O-line, the running game might become a reason that they win some games for a change. If the day ever comes that run blocking becomes a strength, then sure, spending big on RBs becomes less of a priority.

The Bills essentially traded a 2nd round pick from 2 years ago for McCoy. Why are you referencing former first rounders? The Bills lack of effective investment in the O-line for 15 years is a far bigger fault of previous regimes. The Bills always had the runners, but used other teams' cast offs to block for them. I would say that has been the bigger problem. The Bills 1 - 2 punch will not include a former first rounder for 2015. If Whaley can seriously improve the O-line, the running game might become a reason that they win some games for a change. If the day ever comes that run blocking becomes a strength, then sure, spending big on RBs becomes less of a priority.

I'm making a general point about ovevaluing RBs. I agree that the Bills didn't spend a first on McCoy, but he is being paid like a franchise player. Whether that's money well spent I don't know. Most teams don't think it's wise to spend all that much on a back entering his late 20s, although Seattle clearly does. And they're a good organization. That said, Lynch is truly unique. I hope the Bills are right about McCoy. We'll find out soon enough.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm making a general point about ovevaluing RBs. I agree that the Bills didn't spend a first on McCoy, but he is being paid like a franchise player. Whether that's money well spent I don't know. Most teams don't think it's wise to spend all that much on a back entering his late 20s, although Seattle clearly does. And they're a good organization. That said, Lynch is truly unique. I hope the Bills are right about McCoy. We'll find out soon enough.

I think that the issue is that teams never refer at players in that fashion in such general terms. No player is just any player to an organization, but it is the language that we as fans speak. You can't look at McCoy as just a back entering his late twenties. There are specific reasons why McCoy is who he is. Years of quality tape. Have you watched much of his games? Don't be afraid to Billieve. :)

Oh, he's earned a ton. Was just speculating how many years he would continue to live up to the pay. Long term averages, and looking career production vs pay they will look good pretty much no matter what- but 3rd contracts for RBs are tough for teams often. Even if well structured there ends up a year where you pay a lot more than you get

I agree, which I why I find it comical that people here have advocated for giving the same type of major contract to Peterson, who is one year older than Lynch and also has >2,000 carries on his body.

I see 1-2 more high value years for each of those guys before it starts to head south.

Still, it makes sense for Seattle given how key Lynch is to the offense and the very realistic odds of getting back to a Super Bowl this year.

Lynch was a douche while he was in Buffalo. I was glad to see him go, regardless of what it ultimately cost us.

Coulda won with that douche..Lynch was a bad pick cause he was never going to be comfortable in Buffalo..I thought Marv knew talent and character but...

There are number one picks and there are bona fide elite star players. Of your list only Lynch comes close to McCoy in talent combined with production.

Things come together for players at all positions during some years. Like Justin Forsett and Alfred Morris. He's not the real McCoy.

There are number one picks and there are bona fide elite star players. Of your list only Lynch comes close to McCoy in talent combined with production.

Things come together for players at all positions during some years. Like Justin Forsett and Alfred Morris. He's not the real McCoy.

Leveon Bell in my opinion is better than McCoy right now. He had more production and was better in every category. Great receiver too. He's only 23. I'd put McCoy among the top 6 or so backs: Lynch, Bell, Jamaal Charles, McCoy, Arian Foster, and Murray. That said, I love Jeremy Hill's game, and Eddie Lacy brings something to the table that only Lynch and Chris Ivory (a very good player) are capable of. Among less experienced players, I love Latavius Murray. Edited by dave mcbride