[closed]Deflating footballs is a "hush-hush" common practice..

Big Turk

Even in college...read the article that came out after USC was caught deflating footballs in 2013...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/not-for-attribution/longtime-college-football-equipment-manager-everyone-cheats-deflates-184104713.html

Seems highly unlikely that these QB's who specify what needs to be done to the balls in college wouldn't continue doing the same in the NFL...

So the "deflate-gate" thing pretty much now becomes a non-story in my book...this is a very commonplace thing that is done with virtually all teams and is at the discretion of how each QB likes the ball...so the fact that Colts footballs were at the proper levels doesn't necessarily mean that Luck wouldn't do the same thing, it could just mean that he likes his balls inflated at the NFL regulation levels...

Edited by matter2003

This "everyone does it" excuse would be more persuasive if the colts' footballs were under inflated. They were not. i haven't heard anyone give a decent response to that point.

I just did...perhaps because Luck likes his footballs inflated to that level. Some QBs do apparently

This "everyone does it" excuse would be more persuasive if the colts' footballs were under inflated. They were not. i haven't heard anyone give a decent response to that point.

Not everyone preps the same but possibly very few are making the choice based on the rule and luck just prefers a number in the middle?

Colts knew the complaint was filed and didn't this week?

There could be lots of answers, if you aren't assuming the worst of the pats (as fun as that is)

Edited by NoSaint

I don't know. I find it hard to believe that all these other teams are tampering with balls and blowing off the violation of the rules as "everyone does it."

There is a process in place to check the balls. Would take a lot of chutzpah to have the refs measure the balls and then take them and deflate them. I just can't see other teams doing that.

If considered a minor violation and no one cares much... Why not? Do you speed back up after passing the officer?

You have the Hawks coaching corners to cheat every play cause the NFL won't call it- how much chutzpah does that take?

What about tampering going on right now?

Or o line coaches teaching how to get away with holding based on the refs position? I remember lots of talk of having to re-learn blocking when they moved the ref during plays a few years back

Edited by NoSaint

I don't know. I find it hard to believe that all these other teams are tampering with balls and blowing off the violation of the rules as "everyone does it."

There is a process in place to check the balls. Would take a lot of chutzpah to have the refs measure the balls and then take them and deflate them. I just can't see other teams doing that.

Because other teams don't. And even if they were, "Well everyone else is doing it!" is not a valid excuse for convicted cheaters. If the league is being harsher on them, it's their own fault.

If considered a minor violation and no one cares much... Why not? Do you speed back up after passing the officer?

You have the Hawks coaching corners to cheat every play cause the NFL won't call it- how much chutzpah does that take?

What about tampering going on right now?

Or o line coaches teaching how to get away with holding based on the refs position? I remember lots of talk of having to re-learn blocking when they moved the ref during plays a few years back

If this is such a minor violation, and it's routinely ignored by other teams, and tampering with the balls after they have been inspected by the refs is a common practice, then Brady has some seriously inflated balls to stand up at a press conference and lie about it for a solid thirty minutes.

If this is such a minor violation, and it's routinely ignored by other teams, and tampering with the balls after they have been inspected by the refs is a common practice, then Brady has some seriously inflated balls to stand up at a press conference and lie about it for a solid thirty minutes.

If it was the case, would you expect him to scream everyone does it? Is it possibly true that harbaugh is feeling like he burned nfl bridges and maybe Brady is looking good in nfl circles right now? Might that be the type of perspective that makes some of their nonsense this week make sense? Just spit balling the opposite side of the argument Edited by NoSaint