Toronto getting an NFL team... thought!

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Say the NFL opens their market into Toronto, and they become the Toronto Thunder or something to that effect...

I say put the Toronto team in our division, and boot Miami into the division with Jacksonville. THEN, we have a division with Toronto, Buffalo, NY Jets, and New England, a TRUE regional division.

Would fans NOT be stoked to go across the border, for a border war like we have with the Sabres??? THEN the Miami rivalry would bite the dust, considering how volatile the Sabres-Leafs talk is... it would go over to NFL football EASY.

If we do go to Toronto for a home game, it gives us true GOOD national exposure that we haven't had in a LONG time!!! I'm all for it if we can get a scenario like I mentioned above in place. It's great for our league and our area, and our fan base would only get BIGGER, not smaller as Ralph worries about. Who do you think would GO to a Toronto/Buffalo game TWICE a season?? Go for it!!

I think you're crazy. While I think a Toronto / Buffalo rivalry would be fun, I do think it would eat into the Buffalo market more than it would generate additional interest from the Canadians for the Bils games. In other words, this would create more interest in the NFL overall, but the Bills would have a harder time selling out their games.

I also would not like to see the Dolphins leave the division. I love to hate them.

A home game in Toronto sounds horrible too, though a road game would be great, and preseason would be fine. Why would we want to have a home game with a dilluted 12th man crowd, eh?

The players would hate it because of the high Taxes

229711[/snapback]

All teams pay their players 16 times during the season.

(Alright, maybe now it's 17 - but it's once a week and only during the season.)

All of the NFL players would hate it, because whoever plays a game in Canada would have that game's salary taxed at Canadian rates.

I just don't see this working with the hard cap that the NFL has.

Teams would not be able to gross-up salaries to compensate for the greater amount of tax taken out by the RC Guvmnt.

Ralph should only agree to a team in Toronto if the League guarantees a blackout of all Toronto games within a 75 mile radius of the Ralph - EVERY week. It's just that stoopid.

All of the NFL players would hate it, because whoever plays a game in Canada would have that game's salary taxed at Canadian rates.

Huh? Why would the place where the work was performed affect the taxes? Do players currently pay income tax in every state they have an away game? Is there a weird Canadian law about this? And why do you think the canadian tax would be higher?

I see you're type-o's (stoopid), so hopefully your just puling somones chain....

Huh?  Why would the place where the work was performed affect the taxes? Do players currently pay income tax in every state they have an away game?  Is there a weird Canadian law about this?  And why do you think the canadian tax would be higher?

I see you're type-o's (stoopid), so hopefully your just puling somones chain....

229734[/snapback]

The Montreal Canadiens franchise (when playing) pays more in taxes than every US NHL team combined.

Income tax laws very by state but yes, players do pay taxes in at least 15 states on income earned when playing there.

With a team in Toronto, they would surely have to build a new stadium. The Rogers Center (nee. Skydome), is horrible for football, and only sits about 55,000. They just redesigned the old University Stadium for the Argo's, and it cost more to do that, than what Skydome was sold for to Rogers Cable. Skydome is a severe money loosing proposition, and I don't think Toronto, or the Ontario and Canadian Governments, would want to foot any portion of funding needed to build a new N.F.L. quality facility.