"Giving him the business..."

Dan III

I wish we had the video.  The sight of Ben Dreith punching his hand as he's talking really makes the call.

And BTW, it was Gastineau who sacked Kelly, not Lyons.

Mike

229618[/snapback]

It may have been Gastineau who sacked Kelly, but Lyons got the penalty for "the business".

I've told this story a few times to my 10yr old son and the other day he was wrestling with his little brother and said to me "Dad remember this one.....(he pretends to start pounding on his brother).......He's giving him the business!".....

Oh how proud I was at that moment......this is great, I'll play it for him......I would love to get the video of that if its possible.....

Thanks for the link

Kelly's inaugral. He came up just a little short, but it was a good game.

Mark Gas-in-Toe was #99

Marty Lyons was #93

Even though Dreith called Gas' number, I remember it as Lyons who was doing the dirty work. The piss of it was that none of the Bills OL jumped in on the juiced up Jests to protect Kelly.

By the way, it was Lyons playing Nose Tackle who first started lining up at an angle to the Center.

Our very own Freddie Smerlas copied that stance from him.

I miss the 3-4. Without that we never would have gone to 4 straight SBs.

I remember it as Lyons who was doing the dirty work. The piss of it was that none of the Bills OL jumped in on the juiced up Jests to protect Kelly.

Jimbo didn't need any help with that tool.

I'm pretty sure that at the end of that brief scrum, Kelly was on top and Lyons was on his back with blood dripping off his grill.

Cya

Jimbo didn't need any help with that tool.

I'm pretty sure that at the end of that brief scrum, Kelly was on top and Lyons was on his back with blood dripping off his grill.

Cya

229686[/snapback]

You're right, but I remember Jimbo's brothers making an issue out of the fact that his OLine didn't come to his "defense."

Pity we lost that game, but we knew by the end of the first quarter that we had a real quarterback!

The giving him the biz game was not Jimbo's inaugural. It was later that year at the Meadowlands (or possibly the next year, but definitely down there). What you may be thinking of is in that first game, it was either Klecko or Lyons jumped offsides and then was unimpeded to Kelly and leveled him.

The giving him the biz game was not Jimbo's inaugural.  It was later that year at the Meadowlands (or possibly the next year, but definitely down there).  What you may be thinking of is in that first game, it was either Klecko or Lyons jumped offsides and then was unimpeded to Kelly and leveled him.

229738[/snapback]

This kind of makes me think back to Drew's inagaural;

2nd play from scrimmage on Drew's first dropback as a Bill, Reuben forgets the snapcount and Bledsoe just gets crushed. This was his first start after Mo Lewis put him in the hospital and for a second I actually feared for the guy's health.

Then two more times in that first drive he gets hammered again when Jet defenders pick him up and turf him, both of which should have been 15yrdrs as the league had made it illegal to pick up a QB a year or two previously. Drew was chewing on the officials in both cases but didn't get the deserved call either time. (Although they did finally call them for it on a not much later drive when it finally became obvious to those all-seeing officials that the Jets had game-planned it from the get-go)

Meanwhile while all this is going on the Bills are just running blast plays over and over again, and TRavis, Reuben and even Riemersma ( :blink: ) are just pounding the begeesus out of the Jets' backers, particularly the recently defected Cowart.

Finally the crowning moment of that opening drive when the Bills call up the reverse and Bledsoe gets his payback when he catches Jet DT Ferguson sleeping and buries him feet up!

By the time that Pier 6'er of a drive was over, I was going crazy and my living room was already a complete shambles about 5:00 into the first game of the season. 0:)

The giving him the biz game was not Jimbo's inaugural.  It was later that year at the Meadowlands (or possibly the next year, but definitely down there).  What you may be thinking of is in that first game, it was either Klecko or Lyons jumped offsides and then was unimpeded to Kelly and leveled him.

229738[/snapback]

The game was October 5, 1986. It was a 4:00 game at the Meadowlands (I remember it was the late game that day) and the Jets squeaked by the Bills, 14-13. I think Kelly's first game was the week before against the Chiefs (Buffalo lost that game as well, 20-17).

Remember the Bills were 4-12 that year, but with six losses of less than 7 points.

Thank God for the Bills Media Guide. 0:):blink::lol:

Mike

The game was October 5, 1986.  It was a 4:00 game at the Meadowlands (I remember it was the late game that day) and the Jets squeaked by the Bills, 14-13.  I think Kelly's first game was the week before against the Chiefs (Buffalo lost that game as well, 20-17).

Remember the Bills were 4-12 that year, but with six losses of less than 7 points.

Thank God for the Bills Media Guide.  0:)  :blink:  :lol:

Mike

229776[/snapback]

Kelly's 1st game we lost to the at home Jets 28-24 I believe. Kelly had a superb game as I recall. They called him the "new Namath with Knees" in SI I remember.

The 28-24 loss to the Jets was the home opener.

Did Jim Kelly start the 1986 season as Bills QB?  If so, that was his first game.  I didn't think he started the season that year.

Mike

229784[/snapback]

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/bills.htm

1986: With the folding of the USFL the Bills are able to sign QB Jim Kelly, 3 years after initially drafting him. On his very first play Jim Kelly found life in the NFL was going to be rough as he was close lined by an offside Joe Klecko in a 28-24 loss to the New York Jets at Rich Stadium. However, Kelly would dust himself off and would have impressive season passing for 3,593 yards. However, the Bills struggles continued as they lost 7 of their first 9 games, before Coach Hank Bullough is fired, and replaced by Marv Levy. Under Levy the Bills on win 2 out of 7 games to finish with another poor 4-12 record.