CJ Spiller Activated

My original point was just that CJ brings a unique aspect to the offense thats another layer to gameplan around. Picking and choosing specific stats to argue against that is insulting. Hes a dynamic runner and if you and Mr Weo dont see that then thats how you chose to look at his game.

I aint gonna change your mind and im not gonna try.

I dont quite know why youre getting into it when he took the first jab at my original comment, but if youre sticking up for your guy then woohoo for you

And he absolutly cherry picked by posting the stats under the conservative game plan since Marrone/Hackett been running things. Which i stated in my original response to him.

Now one last thing, stats are for geeks. If youre not jumping up on your couch and yelling at the screen when CJ's got the ball past 4 yrds with daylight you aint got no heart, that guy's electric when he breaks 'em!

I used every carry Spiller has had in the past 2 years. You don't seem to know what "cherry picking" means. I picked those 2 seasons...because Marrone and Hackett are still "running things".

You are the one who is predicting that, despite "Hackett and Marrone still running things" and despite Spiller's performance the past 2 years, he's going to come in and be electric, or something.

You contradict your own point--you can't say he's been held back by the current staff and then claim that, now that he is back with the current staff, something new and exciting will happen.

Hey, maybe he will put up a few big runs in the 2 remaining games--and then you can do a "I told you so!" thing. But I'm guessing opposing defenses aren't spending a lot of time preparing for his 3rd or 4th run over 25 yards this year.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no sense to keep fighting this fight WEO. People will never actually see him for what he is.

With that said, I hope CJ makes a fool of me for the remainder of the season against Oakland and New England because we need help on offense and I don't care how it comes.

With that said... I still don't want him back in this team after this season.

I used every carry Spiller has had in the past 2 years. You don't seem to know what "cherry picking" means. I picked those 2 seasons...because Marrone and Hackett are still "running things".

You are the one who is predicting that, despite "Hackett and Marrone still running things" and despite Spiller's performance the past 2 years, he's going to come in and be electric, or something.

You contradict your own point--you can't say he's been held back by the current staff and then claim that, now that he is back with the current staff, something new and exciting will happen.

Hey, maybe he will put up a few big runs in the 2 remaining games--and then you can do a "I told you so!" thing. But I'm guessing opposing defenses aren't spending a lot of time preparing for his 3rd or 4th run over 25 yards this year.

Im not much of an i told you so type, im just excited about the win at GB, and excited about getting one of our better offensive weapons back for the last two games.

And yeah, your original CJ mythology comment i just took as a bit of negativity towards a good player.

Stats can be manipulated to show a one sided arguement so theres that. So its senseless to go around in circles. I like CJ, you do not. I get it.

Edited by mastershake

It didn't seem to me that the run game has been at its best...not a lot of yards, though a few tough yards when they've needed them. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. If CJ is healthy enough to be activated, them something tells Marrone & Hackett that he can contribute something.

Besides, it's not like CJ would be featured over Freddy, Boobie, or Bryce, anyway. Probably just a handful of snaps - 2nd/3rd & long plays.

That'd be my feeling as well. Just his presence (forget stats for a moment) should help the passing game via play fake.

Im not much of an i told you so type, im just excited about the win at GB, and excited about getting one of our better offensive weapons back for the last two games.

And yeah, your original CJ mythology comment i just took as a bit of negativity towards a good player.

Stats can be manipulated to show a one sided arguement so theres that. So its senseless to go around in circles. I like CJ, you do not. I get it.

This isn't high school--it's not about "liking" a certain fella.

The stats I gave are not manipulated. Look for yourself.

I hope he does well on Sunday as well. But his reputation as a guy who "is a home run threat every time he touches the ball" isn't true. Not by a longshot. So I don't think Oak and NE are really going to have to practice much differently than they otherwise would have. That's all I'm saying.

I hope he does well on Sunday as well. But his reputation as a guy who "is a home run threat every time he touches the ball" isn't true. Not by a longshot. So I don't think Oak and NE are really going to have to practice much differently than they otherwise would have. That's all I'm saying.

His reputation as a home run threat wasnt built on running up the middle out of i- formation.

If the coaches use him with creativity hes a threat. If the opposing D coordinators dont account for him theyre fools. Every time #28 gets the ball i get ready to jump up and start cheering.

He will be highly motivated tomorrow, against a weaker opponent, hopefully get in a groove, then on to NE. thats all i was getting at in my original comment.

Edited by mastershake

Nice to have him back in Oakland, but his real value will be in Foxborough, assuming that game is still important by the time we get to it.

We'll need everything we can muster to win there, and CJ's home run capability could help turn the tide.

Fact.

His last run when he broke his collar bone and the KO return against Miami should remove any doubt that he is a threat.

Boobie Dixon has had a couple 40+ yard runs this season. Yet nobody talks about him being a threat every time he touches the ball

Stats are not then end all be all, Weo. Look at the last play Spiller made. People here love to emphasize stats and that's cool if that's your thing. However, plays like that really spark a team. When a team believes, things happen. Maybe you could find some stats on a guy like Rambo coming in and getting 2 interceptions. My guess is that you would struggle to find much positive on the young player, but the thing that stood out was his quote after the game. He said, "we just believed in each other". Things like this don't show up in stats, yet when you watch the game, it is quite evident when a team transforms after a big play.

With Spiller, all it takes is one big play to elevate the play of his team. Like his return for a TD earlier this season or the punt return of Marcus Thigpen last week. You can see the excitement after the play, but you can also see the edge in the team's play afterwards. Stats are a cool, but the really exciting thing is seeing a team that Billieves in themselves.

Edited by Rockinon

Boobie Dixon has had a couple 40+ yard runs this season. Yet nobody talks about him being a threat every time he touches the ball

Dixons a different kind of runner though. A bigger powerback id say. Spillers a faster shifty more elusive type. Both are weapons. Both are assets.

I just wanna see us beat NE

Dixons a different kind of runner though. A bigger powerback id say. Spillers a faster shifty more elusive type. Both are weapons. Both are assets.

I just wanna see us beat NE

i wanna see is best NE as well. I really hope he makes me eat raw crow the rest of the way.

But hes not what you think he is.

"Faster, shifty, elusive" is not proven to be true based in the facts that he is often caught from behind or he would have like 50 TDs by now. He dances around behind the line and has horrible vision and NFL LBs are faster than college LBs and take much better angles.

And a different kind of runner is nitpicking stats IMO. Your looking at potential and YPC and I'm looking at actual yards and results.

5 yards a carry sounds great when you've got 100 carries. But when you get 200 it drops into average category.

Edited by mrags

i wanna see is best NE as well. I really hope he makes me eat raw crow the rest of the way.

But yes not what you think he is.

"Faster, shifty, elusive" is not proven to be true based in the facts that he is often caught from behind or he would have like 50 TDs by now. He dances around behind the line and has horrible vision and NFL LBs are faster than college LBs and take much better angles.

Well Spiller has the speed to leave a Defense in the dust on longer runs, where i could see Dixon being able to be caught from behind by the faster DB's and safetys.

Dixon probably fits the mould of what the coaches are trying to do though.

And sweet turnstyle btw (:

Well Spiller has the speed to leave a Defense in the dust on longer runs, where i could see Dixon being able to be caught from behind by the faster DB's and safetys.

Dixon probably fits the mould of what the coaches are trying to do though.

And sweet turnstyle btw (:

lol. Ty on the turnstile

He doesn't have the speed to break it though unfortunately. Fact proven by his last 53 yard run.

And the fact that he doesn't have 50+ TDs in his career.

lol. Ty on the turnstile

He doesn't have the speed to break it though unfortunately. Fact proven by his last 53 yard run.

And the fact that he doesn't have 50+ TDs in his career.

I dont normally do this, but im gonna come back to this thread and call all you guys out when Spiller breaks one tomorrow. So have your "its just Oakland" arguements ready

Edited by mastershake

I dont normally do this, but im gonna come back to this thread and call all you guys out when Spiller breaks one tomorrow. So have your "its just Oakland" arguements ready

i won't use "it's just Oakland"

I'll use "even Boobie Dixon has a couple 40+ yard runs this season"

Look. I hope your right. I really do. When CJ gets hot he can really be impressive. I just don't think it's very often, and sure as chit doesn't last very long. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often.

Fwiw I want you to rub it in my face. Then I want you to eat it after 6 quarters when he gets injured again and everyone makes more excuses for him.

i won't use "it's just Oakland"

I'll use "even Boobie Dixon has a couple 40+ yard runs this season"

Look. I hope your right. I really do. When CJ gets hot he can really be impressive. I just don't think it's very often, and sure as chit doesn't last very long. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every so often.

Fwiw I want you to rub it in my face. Then I want you to eat it after 6 quarters when he gets injured again and everyone makes more excuses for him.

Just hope im not jinxing myself by talkin so much smack!

Look. I hope your right. I really do. When CJ gets hot he can really be impressive. I just don't think it's very often, and sure as chit doesn't last very long.

I admittedly dont know squat about football but I have an opinion. My opinion is CJ isn't the right kind of back to run it into the teeth of the defense for a yard and a cloud of dust. We got Boobie for that.

CJ's threat comes from getting the ball in space. I dont see our play calling getting CJ the ball in space enough. I believe this is where his value lies, and where he can cause fits for a DC.

I respectfully hope you do eat crow tomorrow as well !!

GO BILLS.

Just hope im not jinxing myself by talkin so much smack!

i hope so too. When players play well, we win. No doubt our defense will do enough. It's the offense that needs to prove itself.

I admittedly dont know squat about football but I have an opinion. My opinion is CJ isn't the right kind of back to run it into the teeth of the defense for a yard and a cloud of dust. We got Boobie for that.

CJ's threat comes from getting the ball in space. I dont see our play calling getting CJ the ball in space enough. I believe this is where his value lies, and where he can cause fits for a DC.

I respectfully hope you do eat crow tomorrow as well !!

GO BILLS.

"get him the ball in space" is a myth. Good players don't need excuses. They just get it done. And fwiw, he constantly makes the wrong cuts and choses the wrong holes or he would be more effective. How much space do you want to give him? Let's just ask the Raiders defense to play 15 yards off the LOS on all plays so that CJ can get a chance.