The View From Broncos Land - Uneven Performance, But an Easy Win

I agree our defense played well, and that that was a big factor in Manning's "off game." But if you saw our D line dominating (or even regularly beating) their O line, you must have been watching a different game.

there were many times that the D line beat the broncos o line but they were on run plays or Peyton got rid of the ball very quick. Of Peyton 20 attempts at least 5 were one step screens there may have been 5 plays where he had the ball more than 2 seconds

The game was never close.

The Broncos were up 24-3 in the 4th quarter, and the Bills rattled up some garbage time stats.

The Bills defense played great today, but the offense did nothing when it still counted.

So...your team is down three touchdowns in the fourth quarter and trying to come back and you consider that garbage time?

You know, you're right, because NO team has ever come back from a three-touchdown deficit to win a game. How silly of me to think that it is even possible. (And don't give me the "the Bills were playing like crap so..." BS. I saw that the game was a hot mess, but they were still in it.)

Did you declare it garbage time at the beginning of the 4th and stop watching the game, or were you sitting there hoping like most of the rest of us that they would somehow put up the points? If it's the former, then you're right. If it's the latter, then you're an analyst with razor-sharp 20-20 hindsight. Those seem to be in abundance on TSW.

I don't know. I am just tired of guys like Manning & Brady getting calls on these ticky tack plays. The first call was ridiculous against Roby. The second against Gilmore I don't know it looked like he got there right when the ball arrived. CBS didn't even have the courtesy of showing the phantom holding penalty on the int return. I mean it is tough enough to beat Denver at Mile High, but when the refs continue to throw flags on possibly game turning plays it almost makes it impossible to beat them. The NFL has an agenda, don't kid yourself, they want guys like Manning & Brady playing deep into January & it just seems like they get favorable call after favorable call & it gets tiresome watching this if your not a fan of those teams. Part of the reason why I could take or leave the NFL nowadays. College football is way better.

I agree. Speaking of the view from Denver, I Googled "Kyle Orton slide" and guess what comes up first on the results: Today's column by the inimitable Mr. Jerry Sullivan. I know that he's not a Bills fan, and I know that he's not paid to be a "homer," but Hell--now he's writing stuff that even the opposing team's media can rerun.

Link to Sully's article.

So...your team is down three touchdowns in the fourth quarter and trying to come back and you consider that garbage time?

You know, you're right, because NO team has ever come back from a three-touchdown deficit to win a game. How silly of me to think that it is even possible. (And don't give me the "the Bills were playing like crap so..." BS. I saw that the game was a hot mess, but they were still in it.)

Did you declare it garbage time at the beginning of the 4th and stop watching the game, or were you sitting there hoping like most of the rest of us that they would somehow put up the points? If it's the former, then you're right. If it's the latter, then you're an analyst with razor-sharp 20-20 hindsight. Those seem to be in abundance on TSW.

As much as it might hurt to admit it, at 24-3 in the 4th, Denver was happy to give up the underneath stuff to burn clock. They also almost exclusively ran the ball, again to burn clock. I think they underestimated the Bills O a little and expected their D to keep the Bills out of the endzone which made the score a bit closer than they would have liked at the end. But the 4th quarter was all garbage time.

Not sure why people are debating the OP. He reported the view from Denver. I would expect all non-bills fans to see the game this same way. Denver's already forgotten about the Bills.

Correct. I added some of my comments, but basically I'm repeating what all the media and fans are saying here. Uneven and uninspired Broncos performance, but the result was really never in doubt.

Ask yourself this question: if the Broncos had pulled Manning after they scored a another rushing TD with 12:01 left in the 3rd quarter, would they have won the game with Brock Osweiler playing QB for the final 27 minutes? With this Bills offense (not Frank Reich's offense vs. the Oilers), the game was effectively over at that point, and the Broncos simply played to run out the clock. People are also forgetting that the Broncos had Julius Thomas active for this game, and Fox said he was ready to use him if the situation called for it. But when you're able to run the ball into the endzone 3 times, they were able to save him for next week. And DT was kind of a nonfactor too (2 catches/11 yards) playing on a bad ankle. Even CJ Anderson got dinged up some, but then Juwan Thompson -- 4th on the depth chart to start the season -- ripped off a big run. The final score looked close, but I'm just finding it hard to find a silver lining in this defeat, which is why all the comments about how we contained Peyton Manning, we could beat the Broncos in Buffalo, etc, just ring hollow this morning. I'm not saying these things because I'm happy about them. I'm saying them because yesterday's game was a big reality check, just like the New England game was earlier this year. We are not competitive against the best teams, and minor fixes like "we need a new guard" aren't going to be enough. If the same thing happens against the Packers next week, it's really time to stop talking about adding a piece here and there to an otherwise strong core, because we should be doubting how strong that core is to begin with.

The D played well. A decent offensive performance would have kept us in this game to the end. But when I hear about our "great" defense or "dominant" defensive line, or "the best front 7 in the AFC" I have to think people have just let their hopes get ahead of the reality. The Rams stopped the Broncos cold. The Seahawks did too, in the Super Bowl and then for 3 quarters this year. This is a good, solid, Top 10 type defense, but it's far from being a dominant defense. And really, zero touches on Manning is pretty piss poor for a team that was the subject of talk about breaking the all-time DL sacks record just last week.

You need to wake up and realize it's 2014. Your expectations for a defense in the modern game are ridiculous. The Rams are good. They also got trucked by KC & Minnesota offenses that did very little against us, and blew a 21-0 lead to Dallas at home. We're not quite Seattle - the most recent defense that is, probably the '02 Bucs. Neither of those Hawk/Ram games were in Denver either.