Marcell Dareus

Whilst I like Mario for the player he is, he doesn't strike me as the guy who would ever be willing to take a pay cut irrespective of how well the team could be or is playing.

I would like to remain optimistic, like I do with most Bills related thoughts, but with that? Nope.

No player in the history of the NFL has ever taken a pay cut when they restructure their deal. In fact, they usually get paid more (up front and in guarantees)... so there's no real concern there. It's all about massaging the cap.

He's a beast. I am not worried about Terry being able to pay him. I am a little more worried about how much salary cap we can invest in the DL. The two aforementioned FAs will be due raises. Hughes will get paid. Dareus will get paid. Mario will still be getting paid. I expect Kyle to play until he can't, and that man definitely deserves some playoffs. I wonder if Mario would restructure for cap purposes, to ensure the other guys can stay...

anyone else have a fear that he'll be a warren sap, haynesworth, or alan branch - play hard for contract then cruise? always a fear, and something in my gut says be careful, especially given his off-field issues last several years. there are some people that you know that you can throw a lot of money at and they'll still play hard, like kyle williams and jj watt, because they either love the game or love to compete. i'm not sure if dareus is built the same, although he has been a good soldier since the season started.

anyone else have a fear that he'll be a warren sap, haynesworth, or alan branch - play hard for contract then cruise? always a fear, and something in my gut says be careful, especially given his off-field issues last several years. there are some people that you know that you can throw a lot of money at and they'll still play hard, like kyle williams and jj watt, because they either love the game or love to compete. i'm not sure if dareus is built the same, although he has been a good soldier since the season started.

What are you talking about? As much as I cannot stand the guy, Sapp was an all time great DT and one of the key cogs in the Bucs SB team. Dareus is coming into his own as a dominant player. You keep those types of players around. End of Story.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's not like they haven't thrown life-changing money at him already. He got paid like the #3 pick (20+ million guaranteed), lumping him in with Haynesworth is unfair. Albert was a known headcase, Marcell has had his moments of idiocy, but those were mainly products of a young man's poor decisions rather than symptoms of larger issues.

I don't see this as a realistic fear with paying Dareus what he's worth.

The salary caps goes up exponentially every year. That deal we gave to Mario is nothing now compared to the deals watt McCoy suh and Dareus are going to get.

The sooner we pay him the cheaper he will be.

Remember Byrd!? He wanted 8 mil a year we said no and tagged him. The next year he wanted ten mil and got it. His value went up 25% in one year.

Pay Dareus now or pay more later or lose him. That's your options

marcel is not going anywhere for another 3 years.

bills already excercised his option for 2015 at about $8 mil

they can tag him in 2016 for about $10 mil

they can tag him again in 2017 for about $12 mil

I agree that is a likely scenario if they don't extend him next season, but I hope they extend him rather than dangle him like that. It would go a long ways towards sending a message in the locker room that the new Bills pay to keep their own.

I agree that is a likely scenario if they don't extend him next season, but I hope they extend him rather than dangle him like that. It would go a long ways towards sending a message in the locker room that the new Bills pay to keep their own.

just as long as Eugene parker is not his agent.