No reason to think the Bills..

Yeah I said it, there's no reason to think we won't be. It's an extremely bold statement, but I'm not only declaring the Bills a play-off team, but a SuperBowl team...

What has led me to this madness? The number 2 defense, and the number 1 special teams, plus emerging stars on offense. Lee Evans, Moulds, WM are great offensive players....The only thing we need is a leader at QB who is mobile enough to take pressure off our o-line. I believe we have a leader in Losman, and he is mobile. Couple that with the fact he can be molded into a great QB with teachers like Wyche, Clements, and Mularkey

time will tell, but it's not that far fetched, is it?

The only thing we need is a leader at QB who is mobile enough to take pressure off our o-line. I believe we have a leader in Losman, and he is mobile. Couple that with the fact he can be molded into a great QB with teachers like Wyche, Clements, and Mularkey

Once Willis was inserted into the starting lineup, the Bills gave up an average of 1.6 sacks per game. That works out to about 26 sacks for the season, which is what Tom Brady took with the Pats (since everyone likes to talk about the two together). So mobility isn't the main issue obviously. What the Bills NEED is an O-line that can open holes and keep Willis from being in the top-3 in runs for losses, so as to take pressure off the QB, be it Drew or JP (and if Drew DOES come back, hopefully it is truly an open competition and the best man wins). They also need a dependable 3rd WR, a TE or 2 (with Campbell and Euhus being shelved with ACL injuries), and a kicker who can hit FG's in the 40+-yard range, again whether the QB be Drew or JP.

Yeah I said it, there's no reason to think we won't be. It's an extremely bold statement, but I'm not only declaring the Bills a play-off team, but a SuperBowl team...

What has led me to this madness? The number 2 defense, and the number 1 special teams, plus emerging stars on offense. Lee Evans, Moulds, WM are great offensive players....The only thing we need is a leader at QB who is mobile enough to take pressure off our o-line. I believe we have a leader in Losman, and he is mobile. Couple that with the fact he can be molded into a great QB with teachers like Wyche, Clements, and Mularkey

224828[/snapback]

Probably not that far-fetched. I thought they were a legitimate playoff team after week 16, so a Superbowl team - while pretty bold - isn't out of reach. I probably wouldn't make that statement if JP started the season, only based on his experience. It's hard to throw in a (sorta) rookie at QB and expect this team to make the promised land.

I'd say right now there's no reason to think they won't be in the playoffs and probably win a game. Those Patriots will still be in the way, though.

Probably not that far-fetched. I thought they were a legitimate playoff team after week 16, so a Superbowl team - while pretty bold - isn't out of reach. I probably wouldn't make that statement if JP started the season, only based on his experience. It's hard to throw in a (sorta) rookie at QB and expect this team to make the promised land.

I'd say right now there's no reason to think they won't be in the playoffs and probably win a game. Those Patriots will still be in the way, though.

224868[/snapback]

Two problems. First, they weren't a playoff team after week 17, which is the only time that it counts. Second, there is a HUGE difference between squeaking into the playoffs and going to the Super Bowl. The Pats aren't going anywhere next year, the Steelers will be back and there are several other very tough teams in the conference.

I can't see either Bledsoe or a rookie leading this team to a SB.

224828[/snapback]

Not 1 reason..... Just 2.

A washed up veteran QB, and a rookie (until he starts he's a rookie in my book) QB.

If JP starts, and I want him to, we will be lucky to finish with as good a record as this season. I hope I'm wrong!

Two problems.  First, they weren't a playoff team after week 17, which is the only time that it counts.  Second, there is a HUGE difference between squeaking into the playoffs and going to the Super Bowl.  The Pats aren't going anywhere next year, the Steelers will be back and there are several other very tough teams in the conference.

I can't see either Bledsoe or a rookie leading this team to a SB.

224869[/snapback]

I hate to say it, but I agree with your thought process. Cna the Bills be a SB contender? Sure, but the QB position NEEDS to be strong....I agree NE and Pitt will be there in the end next yr, probably the Colts (depending on Edge) and maybe the Chargers, if they werent a 1 year wonder, and maybe the Jets.

But there are also other AFC teams who can make that claim of being "on the cusp":

1. Baltimore Ravens- they are way under the cap, I bet their get an impact WR, and their schedule this past season was BRUTAL

2. Jacksonville Jags- Another team that can improve this offseason and are on the cusp, much like the Bills

3. Cincinnati Bengals- Palmer will b eeven better in 05, if they keep Rudi and fill a few holes defensively, they can make a big leap forward.

Its not going to be easy in this conference.

I hate to say it, but I agree with your thought process.  Cna the Bills be a SB contender?  Sure, but the QB position NEEDS to be strong....I agree NE and Pitt will be there in the end next yr, probably the Colts (depending on Edge) and maybe the Chargers, if they werent a 1 year wonder, and maybe the Jets.

But there are also other AFC teams who can make that claim of being "on the cusp":

1.  Baltimore Ravens- they are way under the cap, I bet their get an impact WR, and their schedule this past season was BRUTAL

2.  Jacksonville Jags- Another team that can improve this offseason and are on the cusp, much like the Bills

3.  Cincinnati Bengals- Palmer will b eeven better in 05, if they keep Rudi and fill a few holes defensively, they can make a big leap forward.

Its not going to be easy in this conference.

224880[/snapback]

right now there is no reason to think the arizona cardinals, miami dolphins, or san fransisco 49ers won't be super bowl contenders either

a decent FA or 2

a good draft

injured opponents

the bounce of the ball

bad calls

alot can happen before january 2006

I think we are at the doorstep of the playoffs and potential SB team.

Should we expect Losman to get us to the SB in year 1 of him being a starter? Kinda unrealistic, we should be pointing to 2006 for SB.

But to get ready for that:

1) Need to Trade Bledsoe/Henry and get picks.

2) Get new Kicker (Nugent to FA), Lindell sucks.

3) Sign Phat Pat (Key to D).

4) Plan for Clements resign.

5) Let JJ go or franchise/trade him. He is not worth the money.

6) Draft K, 2 OL, RB, CBs. Bring in FA DTs, DLs, and OL.

7) Stay cheap in FA. Don't need superstars just value based players. The whole team needs to be good, not just a few positions. Get a WR (Rice?), cheap OL, K(if don't get Nugent).

Well the Patriots would have to suddenly forget how to play football, but it could happen. Super Bowl might be a bit optimistic. There is a steep learning curve ahead for JP, assuming he is even the starter. (I don't think that's carved in stone...there could be a new FA QB in the picture too.)

PTR

Our biggest problem is the schedule -- and the division in which we play. The bridge between the Bills and Pats is vast and wide. I think we are pretty much on pace with the Jets (depending on off-season moves). I also think that the Dolphins, while still likely to be odious next year, will be improved in 2005. Note that we didn't have a particularly easy time of it in either victory that we had over them last year.

Until we can win at least 4 games in our division, it is going to make it hard convincing me that we are Super Bowl bound.

let's not go off the deep end here. who exactly did the Bills defeat this year? Answer: except the Jets, the Bills beat either mediocre or horrible teams. And, when they had their chance to fish or cut chum, they bombed against the Steelers at home.

My plan was to go ahead and throw JPL after the deabacle in New England and "come what may" Fans would have counted this season as a 'mulligan' for Mularkey. Now he has no choice but to go with Losman and live with the results... which will be another 9-7 season at best, and another early tee time for the players.

There are very few leaders on this team. Fletcher is proabably as close as you come. If you want to benchmark that, remember the days of Kelly, Thomas, Talley. You had guys like that who spoke up and the team would follow. that ain't there now... and until it does, the Bills are just spinning their wheels.