About J.P.

DreamOnDan

Does anybody actually think that he needs to be "ready"? First off what the heck is ready anyway? To me, ready is...... Does he have 2 feet?, Can he throw the ball? Is there anything going on under that Cali-surfer haircut of his? Other than that what matters? There is no doubt that he is going to make rookie mistakes. Sitting on the sidelines isn't going to change that. The fact of the matter is that J.P. cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and 5th rd pick. THat is a lot! That is the kind of price you pay for Jim Kelly. The only way that J.P. doesn't start is if Bledsoe had a season better than ever, ever, that is right ever. Even Drew Bledsoe in his prime wasn't worth a 1st, 2nd, and 5th. I don't really know what is going on but I was just thinking about the business aspects of football. Bledsoe is GONE!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nahhh... matter of fact, no need to have him memorize the playbook - give him a little chalkboard and some chalk, let him draw up plays in the huddle.

224547[/snapback]

Playbook? Playbook? Oh, that is what "ready" means. Oh I feel so much better. I was really racking the brain on what this ready talk is. Playbook, ha you have got to be kidding. He memorized the playbook before his first practice. Just like every single other NFL player. :)

See Peyton Manning, see Donovan McNabb, See Dan Marino, see Ben Roethlisberger, See Dante Culpepper, see Steve McNair, see, see, see that it doesn't matter

224555[/snapback]

Culpepper and McNair both sat for a year (Culpepper sat for longer).

But I hear what you are saying.

See: Tom Brady, Chad Pennington, and Eli Manning.

Manning is a perfect example of what happens when you rush a rookie. BRady and Pennington are when you don't.

224551[/snapback]

I'm just saying that history tells us that rushing a rookie quarterback can be the wrong move. Yes, there are certain cases where it has worked, but moreso the latter case.

However, with the position we are in, I'd say that we should start Losman next year because Bledsoe isnt taking us anywhere and we have no other option. I'm sick of Bledsoe as our quarterback.

Culpepper started all games in his 2nd year...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133263

224560[/snapback]

This is one of those rare times when I think that those who work with the team might have better insight into whether Losman is "ready" to move to the deep end of the pool, than anyone here. Anyone would expect there to be beginner mistakes. What is more important, is do the coaches feel that he has a clear grasp of the offense.

RUMOUR:

There were some "whispers" this past season (I do have a team source, but I won't claim that their info has always panned out, but often it has) that Losman was not really grasping the offense, or working hard enough on the mental part of the offense. Once he was dressing after his injury, Sam Wyche was a little taken aback by his lacidaisical attitude.

You remember when Losman got his first playing time in the last few minutes of that Sunday night New England debacle? Lots of us were pissed about Mularkey sticking Losman in at that point? Well, rumour has it, (and again take it for what it is worth, only repeating what I was told), Mularkey and Wyche went through the motions as if Shane Matthews would go in to replace Bledsoe. So, at the last second, Mularkey turned to Losman, and stuck him in there cold. He wanted him to learn a hard lesson about not being prepared.

At that point, the Bills were about to fall to 3-6, and that had been lots of grumbling about benching Bledsoe. The coaches were a little disappointed in JP's preperation (it took a slide when he got injured) and they were not certain he was "ready" to play full time just yet. They also felt that Shane Matthews gave them no better a chance to win than Bledsoe.

The following week, after Losman looked horrid against New England, the Bills went on their 6-1 run. Had the Bills not beaten St Louis the following week, there is a very good chance that Losman would have started the rest of the season.

This is one of those rare times when I think that those who work with the team might have better insight into whether Losman is "ready" to move to the deep end of the pool, than anyone here.  Anyone would expect there to be beginner mistakes.  What is more important, is do the coaches feel that he has a clear grasp of the offense. 

RUMOUR:

There were some "whispers" this past season (I do have a team source, but I won't claim that their info has always panned out, but often it has) that Losman was not really grasping the offense, or working hard enough on the mental part of the offense.  Once he was dressing after his injury, Sam Wyche was a little taken aback by his lacidaisical attitude.

You remember when Losman got his first playing time in the last few minutes of that Sunday night New England debacle?  Lots of us were pissed about Mularkey sticking Losman in at that point?  Well, rumour has it, (and again take it for what it is worth, only repeating what I was told), Mularkey and Wyche went through the motions as if Shane Matthews would go in to replace Bledsoe.  So, at the last second, Mularkey turned to Losman, and stuck him in there cold.  He wanted him to learn a hard lesson about not being prepared.

At that point, the Bills were about to fall to 3-6, and that had been lots of grumbling about benching Bledsoe.  The coaches were a little disappointed in JP's preperation (it took a slide when he got injured) and they were not certain he was "ready" to play full time just yet.  They also felt that Shane Matthews gave them no better a chance to win than Bledsoe. 

The following week, after Losman looked horrid against New England, the Bills went on their 6-1 run.  Had the Bills not beaten St Louis the following week, there is a very good chance that Losman would have started the rest of the season.

LIAR!

Just had to be the first to say it! :) Sounds about right.

Does anybody actually think that he needs to be "ready"?  First off what the heck is ready anyway?  To me, ready is...... Does he have 2 feet?, Can he throw the ball?  Is there anything going on under that Cali-surfer haircut of his?  Other than that what matters?  There is no doubt that he is going to make rookie mistakes.  Sitting on the sidelines isn't going to change that.  The fact of the matter is that J.P. cost the Bills a 1st, 2nd, and 5th rd pick.  THat is a lot!  That is the kind of price you pay for Jim Kelly.  The only way that J.P. doesn't start is if Bledsoe had a season better than ever, ever, that is right ever.  Even Drew Bledsoe in his prime wasn't worth a 1st, 2nd, and 5th.  I don't really know what is going on but I was just thinking about the business aspects of football.  Bledsoe is GONE!

224544[/snapback]

Nobody is questioning his physical potential. This league (esp. at QB) is rough on rookies who don't have a grasp of things mentally. History tells us that it takes these guys longer than other key skill positions to learn. There are exceptions to this rule but those are the lucky few who have been truly blessed.

It's going to take JP time to "get it". A sound running game and great pass blocking will take him far but he needs those other intangibles to become truly special (read: Big Ben).

I don't expect him to lead us to the playoffs for another couple of years if he's thrown into the fire next season. By then, Moulds and the rest of our superb defense will have aged to a point where they are no longer the best or at the top of their games anymore. Let's hope Evans continues on his path and lessen our worries in this department.

I love my Bills and will continue to be an optimist even if at times I sh-- on the team for their blunders and insepid idiocies.

What you wrote sounds very logical and probable.  It is also what worries me a bit about  JP--I just hope it was a function of his injury and not his work ethic overall.

224630[/snapback]

Getting back to, when is Jp Losman "ready"? I think it sounds like the Bills feel he is ready enough to be given the keys to the car. They will only be taken away if Bledsoe (assuming he returns to challange, with a paycut, which I still think he will) comes in and plays worlds better than he has before (not necessarily better than Losman, but better than he himslef has played the last 2 years), and makes it clear that he has elevated his game dramiticaly. The other scenario would be that Losman is so awful, they can't start him. I don't see that happenig at all.

I think having Bledsoe and Losman in an honest to god competition would be great for both players, and the Bills. Whover loses out, will be all the better, and all the more chomping at the bit to play. I believe that Bledsoe, despite contrary opinions expressed here, sees the writing on the wall. If he loses the competition (against Losman and his his own past performances) there is nothing about the guys history or personality that concerns me that he would be a locker room cancer. He obviously wasn't happy about his situation in New England, but never let it become a distraction to the Patriots. Don't forget, he was a very popular player in New England, amongst his teammates, and (even) some Patriot fans. He could have been a major distraction. He used the motivation of slight from the Patriots to have the best 8 game stretch of his career, in the first half of 2002. Maybe had he had a true, bonifide replacement on the bench, he might have kept it going. Say what you will about Bledsoe, but he has shown that he has pride.

From everything I have read or heard about Losman, I am fairly convinced he will succeed. The biggest knock on him from the pre-draft scouting reports I read, were questions about his maturity. I like his cockiness, a little. It can be a good thing. It worked for Kelly, and it certainly worked for Brett Favre. If Losman is half the QB either of these guys were, I think we will all be pleased. August can't get here soon enough!

Getting back to, when is Jp Losman "ready"?  I think it sounds like the Bills feel he is ready enough to be given the keys to the car.  They will only be taken away if Bledsoe (assuming he returns to challange, with a paycut, which I still think he will) comes in and plays worlds better than he has before (not necessarily better than Losman, but better than he himslef has played the last 2 years), and makes it clear that he has elevated his game dramiticaly.  The other scenario would be that Losman is so awful, they can't start him.  I don't see that happenig at all.

I think having Bledsoe and Losman in an honest to god competition would be great for both players, and the Bills.  Whover loses out, will be all the better, and all the more chomping at the bit to play. I believe that Bledsoe, despite contrary opinions expressed here, sees the writing on the wall.  If he loses the competition (against Losman and his his own past performances) there is nothing about the guys history or personality that concerns me that he would be a locker room cancer.  He obviously wasn't happy about his situation in New England, but never let it become a distraction to the Patriots.  Don't forget, he was a very popular player in New England, amongst his teammates, and (even) some Patriot fans.  He could have been a major distraction.  He used the motivation of slight from the Patriots to have the best 8 game stretch of his career, in the first half of 2002.  Maybe had he had a true, bonifide replacement on the bench, he might have kept it going.  Say what you will about Bledsoe, but he has shown that he has pride. 

From everything I have read or heard about Losman, I am fairly convinced he will succeed.  The biggest knock on him from the pre-draft scouting reports I read, were questions about his maturity.  I like his cockiness, a little. It can be a good thing.  It worked for Kelly, and it certainly worked for Brett Favre.  If Losman is half the QB either of these guys were, I think we will all be pleased.  August can't get here soon enough!

224649[/snapback]

And from someone in football that I know, this is false. They are concerned about his mental ability, physical stature, and ability to throw. Not sure if was release, but from what the insider told me was the broken leg had an impact as he could not learn to throw and step properly and it was holding him back. The inside info I have, and again it comes from a real NFL insider, there is doubts that Losman will ever make it onto the field as a starter. Whether it is Bledsoe, Warner, Kita, or someone else, the inside info I have said the Bills are looking elsewhere because they doubt Jp's ability.

But I guess we'll wait and see.

And from someone in football that I know, this is false.  They are concerned about his mental ability, physical stature, and ability to throw.  Not sure if was release, but from what the insider told me was the broken leg had an impact as he could not learn to throw and step properly and it was holding him back.  The inside info I have, and again it comes from a real NFL insider, there is doubts that Losman will ever make it onto the field as a starter.  Whether it is Bledsoe, Warner, Kita, or someone else, the inside info I have said the Bills are looking elsewhere because they doubt Jp's ability. 

224656[/snapback]

Wow, that is some news. They're already doubting that the kid will ever start a game???? If that's true, I hope they draft another QB in this draft, even if it's a late-round pick. Wow.

VA, can you elaborate on what you heard? I mean, they invested a TON of picks and a good amount of money on this kid, and they're already thinking of cutting their losses?

And from someone in football that I know, this is false.  They are concerned about his mental ability, physical stature, and ability to throw.  Not sure if was release, but from what the insider told me was the broken leg had an impact as he could not learn to throw and step properly and it was holding him back.  The inside info I have, and again it comes from a real NFL insider, there is doubts that Losman will ever make it onto the field as a starter.  Whether it is Bledsoe, Warner, Kita, or someone else, the inside info I have said the Bills are looking elsewhere because they doubt Jp's ability. 

224656[/snapback]

Well, I will take that for what it is worth as well. If this is actually true though, I would have to seriously question TD and company. They would trade a 1st, 2nd and 5th round pick for a guy they knew that little about? Losmans' physical stature did not change after the draft. I could see there being some complications caused by his injury, but he is what, 23 years old? They had a lot invested in him, why would they let him dress, and play in games if they were concerned that the injury was affecting his ability to throw the ball? It seems like they would have just put him on injured reserve, if they were having those kind of concerns about him. I am not doubting what you heard, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Nobody is questioning his physical potential.  This league (esp. at QB) is rough on rookies who don't have a grasp of things mentally.  History tells us that it takes these guys longer than other key skill positions to learn.  There are exceptions to this rule but those are the lucky few who have been truly blessed.

It's going to take JP time to "get it".  A sound running game and great pass blocking will take him far but he needs those other intangibles to become truly special (read:  Big Ben). 

I don't expect him to lead us to the playoffs for another couple of years if he's thrown into the fire next season.  By then, Moulds and the rest of our superb defense will have aged to a point where they are no longer the best or at the top of their games anymore.  Let's hope Evans continues on his path and lessen our worries in this department. 

I love my Bills and will continue to be an optimist even if at times I sh-- on the team for their blunders and insepid idiocies.

224605[/snapback]

That's enough with the sensible posting. Stuff like this will have head's exploding all over 'Tard Town. Good job.