RIP Tonawanda News

Tonawanda related - sort of

In Sams Club yesterday and some guy who said he was from Tonawanda, was giving me chit for wearing my Bills cap.

You wear that here? He asked where I was from and when I said Rochester he said that Rochester was too far away for me to be a Bils fan.

I wasn't sure if he was joking or not

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

My dad was a devout reader of the Tonawanda News... it lasted a year longer than him... the last couple of years he was po'd because the TN started using more syndicated stuff, so it lost its' "local feeling"... tough times for the newspaper industry. Kinda miss the days of getting up very early on Sundays, getting the Buffalo News, NY Post, Newsday, NY Times, sitting at a diner, purusing them for any mention of the Bills....

I hope that the Buffalo News does what many papers are doing across the country and does a weekly special for Tonawanda. Toledo had The Blade. It was not a great paper, by any means, but they had neighbors sections 5 days a week. Neighbors East, West, South, North, and Downtown. In it they had their local contributors in those towns an hour or so away write for them and talk about community news.

Here we have a local paper that still is very much dedicated to the local news. The first two pages are usually 60/40 on National news and there are national news stories scattered about but it is much more area sensitive. Instead of putting the Giants big on the cover for their sports section they put up a local volleyball team that is doing good as their major feature picture.