I am no Offensive Master Mind but.....

Nasty

As I watched the game yesterday I got so angry so some reason then it dawned on me....our Offensive coordinator doesn't know what he is doing. And then I thought, there are a lot of coordinators in the league that suck if you think about it. They call plays on the field like they are playing a video game and they all get greedy and don't call plays to win football games. Now like I said I am no Offensive master mind but, when you have the ball first down and 10 from like the 14 yard line and you just ran the ball two times in a row for good gains with a bruising back (Dixon) why not keep running it til they stop you, instead we pull all of our running backs spread it out with a struggling offensive line and try to throw the ball in which Kyle then fumbles it and we take more points off the board. Blows my mind. That game shouldn't have been that close at all. I also think and hope the Bills pound the rock next week with Dixon ala Pittsburgh Steelers with the bus.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion around here, but I thought the offensive game plan was absolutely fine. TWO fumbles in the redzone that would have been at least 6 points but might have been 14. The first one was on the first drive of the game, the Bills drove 50 yards on 6 plays. If the Bills score on those 2 trips the game could've played out very differently.

Also, CJ and FJ were both injured before the 1st half, leaving the offensive game play pretty limited in terms of a running game. I know it's just as easy to say Hackett sucks, but the players and the OL need to execute as well.

The OC is confused. He doesn't know what he wants the identity of this team to be. I was so angry after the game I wanted him gone. Those plays on the last drive, the TD pass excepted generally looked to me like Orton finding the open guy rather than the right play being called all the time.

Marrone said afterwards "I know where I want to get this team and I've got to do what it takes to get it there." I still believe Marrone has an idea of the kind of offense he wants - he cannot possibly believe he is getting it at the moment. He either needs to fire Hackett (however personally difficult) or he needs to take control of the situation, sit down with Hackett and map out very clearly exactly what is expected.

I know this is a very unpopular opinion around here, but I thought the offensive game plan was absolutely fine. TWO fumbles in the redzone that would have been at least 6 points but might have been 14. The first one was on the first drive of the game, the Bills drove 50 yards on 6 plays. If the Bills score on those 2 trips the game could've played out very differently.

Also, CJ and FJ were both injured before the 1st half, leaving the offensive game play pretty limited in terms of a running game. I know it's just as easy to say Hackett sucks, but the players and the OL need to execute as well.

Exactly, don't get me wrong, there are some plays or routes ran that don't make sense at times (like when the almost int in 4th QTR where Hogan and Woods ran to the same place) but the players got in that mess yesterday. We lost the ball 4 times at home and that just can't happen if we want to make the playoffs.

Exactly, don't get me wrong, there are some plays or routes ran that don't make sense at times (like when the almost int in 4th QTR where Hogan and Woods ran to the same place) but the players got in that mess yesterday. We lost the ball 4 times at home and that just can't happen if we want to make the playoffs.

I'll also add, this is a Mike Zimmer defense, ranked 7th in the league. Yea, George Edwards is calling the plays but surely Mike Zimmer has a lot of influence on the scheme.

We've got a head coach who sure seems to value a lot of the old Dick Jauron-ish priorities, things that generally worked well in the 80s: punt, play field position, focus on stingy defense, protect against turnovers at all costs ... unless the turnover is a punt, a "voluntary turnover" that is somehow viewed as conservative and acceptable.

He's trying to fit that kind of mentality into a modern NFL where the majority of consistently great teams are those that rely heavily upon great QB play, high-scoring offenses, special teams that are designed to produce big plays that yield big chunks of yardage (as opposed to kneeling on it every time in the endzone), etc. Simply put, in today's NFL, it's more important to have a high-powered scoring offense - the league itself has designed all sorts of rules to promote that.

Without inside info, it seems tough say whether Hackett is being confined by his head coach's philosophy, or if he too is caught in a different era despite his age.

"Execute" is often thrown around as an all-purpose excuse, but I think you're right in this case. The Orton fumble was just brutal--the type of crazy "what were you thinking?" Play we've seen often over the years. Add to that the hogan and woods fumble(s), and the orton pick---those are execution issues at critical times. Any one individually is understandable, but collectively not on the OC.

Considering we came back to win 3 games I would say Marrone has been correct in keeping things conservative instead of going chuck-n-duck. Our O-line is holding us back right now.

Agreed about the OL, it's about as bad as I've seen in recent memory. However, at some point you'd expect the coaches to somehow, you know, coach those players to understand the proper protections. Half the time the OL looks confused out there, like they haven't a clue who is their responsibility. Nobody seems to be able to recognize a stunt and pick up their responsibility. It's tough to know if this is solely on the players or the coaches aren't doing their job of getting their blocking schemes across. I don't absolve the coaching staff from the OL's struggles.

The Orton fumble was just brutal--the type of crazy "what were you thinking?"

Yeah, the one thing I demand out of a game manager type QB (which Orton is) is to play within themselves. Don't try to do too much, you're not Brett Favre. Make the plays that you're capable of and if you have to eat a sack or throw the ball away then do it. That play was simply idiotic.