What do the Bills do for a fix at guard now?

Well, I didn't really like him coming out of college. What I gather is that scouts feel that his strength and length will allow him to compensate for the relative lack of mobility. Outside, at OT, he has more room to position himself to receive a pass rusher and deliver a proper punch.

I don't buy that--as I said I didn't like him at 'Bama. We'll see how it bears out though.

Thank you. Interesting. I always felt OT either side needed to be more athletic, not less. I love the line, but don't know much about those positions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting...

xvhxYJ0J_normal.pngJoe Buscaglia @JoeBuscaglia · 3h3 hours ago

Cyril Richardson taking first team reps at left guard despite Chris Williams being on the field.

They clearly think Richardson is LG material--which makes sense since they don't really pull their guards much and Richardson doesn't quite have the mobility at his size to pull (that may change if he loses some weight in the offseason).

I wonder if they'll spend a week of practice having Williams work on the right side and move him over there...

Dudes, I'm not sure what you're calling negative plays, but I don't think they tell the whole story here.

The problem at guard isn't limited to major-league jailbreaks - missed the assignment, missed a stunt, just plain got "sonned".

The problem is lack of positive production - opening holes and pulling effectively on run plays

I thinks it is all of the above.

Clearly Richardson isn't quite ready for Suh & Fairly, and Pears is simply downright terribad from every aspect. Everyone says this is Marrone in the move with Pears from RT to RG. This is also directly from the Buddy Nix school of thought that you can always move a tackle inside if he doesn't workout outside. Obviously this doesn't always hold true.

How often does a 5th round pick work out at becoming a starter for this team? Almost never? So Richardson is probably not the answer at LG, and either is the guy they picked up in free agency who is actually worse then the rookie.

This entire philosophy of never wasting a draft pick on a OG in the first round is about the lamest thing I've ever heard. Two of the most successful coaches in Bills history both drafted OG's early. Marv Levy & John Butler did it with Ruben Brown. Chuck Knox did it with Jim Ritcher, and both players played 10+ years in the NFL and both made the pro bowl.

This past draft the Cowboys passed on Johnny football to draft an OG in Zack Martin, and the result is the Dallas leading the NFL in rushing AND in first downs by rushing. That Cowboy team is 4-1, #6 in yards, #5 in points. Not only are they protecting Tony Romo better. They are getting back to their roots of what made them a great team, and a SB team. For those that don't remember, it was pounding the rock with Emmitt Smith. Same with those 90's SB Bills, as Thurman Thomas was 75% of that offense, and they usually ran the ball more then they passed it.

The San Diego Chargers also drafted an OG with a first round pick and its paying great dividends in both protecting Phillip Rivers, and allowing them to run better. They went from Rivers having his worst season to comeback player of the year with the help of that OG.

Back to the OP's question. I doubt this FO makes a move to bring in better quality players at OG, as they just don't value the position enough. Incognito would be about 1000% improvement over Pears, and would help kick start the Bills run game, and protections. Top players at the OG position, and this team makes the playoffs, no question in my mind!!

Well, I didn't really like him coming out of college. What I gather is that scouts feel that his strength and length will allow him to compensate for the relative lack of mobility. Outside, at OT, he has more room to position himself to receive a pass rusher and deliver a proper punch.

I don't buy that--as I said I didn't like him at 'Bama. We'll see how it bears out though.

A few weeks ago former Bill Joe DeLamielleure was on WGR and was asked about Kujo and his problems. He responded that the first thing he watched when evaluating o-linemen was how they moved their feet. He stated that Kujo had very slow footwork. In college a lineman can dominate with their size but in the pro ranks the speed of the game is so fast that if you can't react quickly you will struggle. Joe D was asked what he would do to help with his foot speed deficiency. He said that he would have him play a lot of racket ball to improve his reaction time.

The contrast between Kujo and Henderson is very stark. Henderson is very athletic while Kugo is more lumbering. I'm not sure that his limited mobility can be overcome, at least at the tackle position. So far he appears to be another high draft miscalculation. (I hate saying that!)

Edited by JohnC

A few weeks ago former Bill Joe DeLamielleure was on WGR and was asked about Kujo and his problems. He responded that the first thing he watched when evaluating o-linemen was how they moved their feet. He stated that Kujo had very slow footwork. In college a lineman can dominate with their size but in the pro ranks the speed of the game is so fast that if you can't react quickly you will struggle. Joe D was asked what he would do to help with his foot speed deficiency. He said that he would have him play a lot of racket ball to improve his reaction time.

The contrast between Kujo and Henderson is very stark. Henderson is very athletic while Kugo is more lumbering. I'm not sure that his limited mobility can be overcome, at least at the tackle position. So far he appears to be another high draft miscalculation. (I hate saying that!)

thanks for the insight. I agree, I'm not sure what they can do regarding his lumbering nature. He is strong, but not quick. That's why I'm confused at the Bills instance that he is an OT, which I thought required the most athletic ability out of all the O-lineman.

This entire philosophy of never wasting a draft pick on a OG in the first round is about the lamest thing I've ever heard. Two of the most successful coaches in Bills history both drafted OG's early. Marv Levy & John Butler did it with Ruben Brown. Chuck Knox did it with Jim Ritcher, and both players played 10+ years in the NFL and both made the pro bowl.

Jim Ritcher was the Outland Trophy winner at CENTER at NC State. He was drafted to play center, but after several botched snaps between him and Fergy, he was reluctantly moved to Guard... where he excelled.