The Bills running back situation

Mike1975

Another football fan and myself were talking about this yesterday. It appears to be a given that the Bills will trade Travis Henry during the offseason. If so, what do they do with the number two slot? Who will backup Willis MaGahee? Keep Shaud Williams? Sign a free agent? Draft a running back? I think drafting a running back in the 4th or 5th round might be a decent idea. What does everyone else think?

Another football fan and myself were talking about this yesterday.  It appears to be a given that the Bills will trade Travis Henry during the offseason.  If so, what do they do with the number two slot? Who will backup Willis MaGahee? Keep Shaud Williams? Sign a free agent? Draft a running back? I think drafting a running back in the 4th or 5th round might be a decent idea.  What does everyone else think?

222750[/snapback]

Amos Zereoue, Oakland, UFA.

Another football fan and myself were talking about this yesterday.  It appears to be a given that the Bills will trade Travis Henry during the offseason.  If so, what do they do with the number two slot? Who will backup Willis MaGahee? Keep Shaud Williams? Sign a free agent? Draft a running back? I think drafting a running back in the 4th or 5th round might be a decent idea.  What does everyone else think?

222750[/snapback]

Williams didn't impress me. Through draft or free agency I'd rather see us get a power back. Williams just doesn't fit the "smash mouth" philosophy.

Bring back Tim Tindale and Carwell Gardner. I wonder what Darrick Holmes is doing these days?

222752[/snapback]

Darrick Holmes used to buy blunts at my friends' store in Buffalo. He's probably chillin' out with Wicky somewhere <_<

Unless somebody offers a high second round pick, I say there's no way the Bills should trade Henry until preseason at the earliest. They should wait and see what happens. If some team loses a top back in training camp, I say Henry's trade value will soar. And then there's always that dreaded possibility that MaGahee gets hurtt. Henry is still a proven back, and let's hope the Bills don't get desparate and settle for a weak offer. I say his trade value goes up the longer the Bills keep him even if they keep into the start of next season.

>>>> I say his trade value goes up the longer the Bills keep him even if they keep into the start of next season.<<<<

But it will start shrinking as soon as GMs around the league factor in the won/loss record of the Bills with TH as the starter, as well as the number of games that he played a huge role in the Bills losing.

Keep Shaud Williams for a change of tempo/3rd down back. Trade Travis to the Colts for their 2nd rder and be done with this Johnson/Flutie type hazard.

On a lighter note, give Robb Riddick a jingle and see if he can overcome his arthritis. If not, let's get a doctor-like Sean Doctor. He would run with reckless abandonment.

Buffalo will be fine, just fine. The one thing that does concern me though is the way Pittsburgh handled us at home with non-starters. Here's the conclusion that makes me wanna puke. The better teams in this league (like Buffalo) still pale in comparison to New England's thorough demeanor. Drats! I forgot to lift the lid.

>>>> I say his trade value goes up the longer the Bills keep him even if they keep into the start of next season.<<<<

But it will start shrinking as soon as GMs around the league factor in the won/loss record of the Bills with TH as the starter, as well as the number of games that he played a huge role in the Bills losing.

222835[/snapback]

I thnink you're over thinking this from a Bills fans perspective. A competing GM will view this mostly in terms of what having a former Pro Bowl RB running for them will do for their team. The main factor here will be visions of what Corey Dillon did for NE in their minds (they likely will ignore the fact that they are not NE and Henry isn't Dillon.

The key to this is not our over-assessment of Henry but assesing what potential trade partners will see for them in a deal. Regardless of what you or I think about Henry this is my sense of his rep:

1. Former Pro Bowl player who produced about 1400 yards as a rusher in 2002 and 2003.

2. Certainly not the brightest bulb in the locker room, but this actually came in handy for the Bills as they got a year's extension on his contract for chump change because he managed his money poorly. He's no one you would depend on to learn and run complex routes but football isn't brain surgey and he will play the game.

3. Developed a rep as an athlete who can play and produce through pain producing yardage in 2003 with a fracture which was painful but did not keep him out of games.

4. There are some injury questions about him given the fracture and an injury that ended his work this year, he must pass the docs review.

5. Has not shown great receiving skills but did catch over 40 tosses in 2002 indicating he can produce when used this way. Some complaints about a few bad drops in 2003 as the entire Bills O fell apart, but is not noted as having the droppsies as other Bills such as Reed ere.

5. Has never excelled at the blitz pick-up but this has never been noted as the biggest problem causing the Bills to have major sack issues behind an OL with non-coaching under Vinky and Ruel and operating with a QB who was less than mobile,

My sense is that this is what the NFL generally thinks of Henry and though you may disagree with the assessment, it is one that the pundits and league seems comfortable with as TD declaring he wants a 2nd rounder has not been met with guffaws around the league.

In the end, I think the biggest driver may be the desire of Miami to want a former Pro Bowk RB that they can market to move beyond the Rickey Williams days. They may end up disappointed with Henry but he is a product which they can sell.

trade TH, thats a given. get what we can for him, even if its a 7th rounder (imo we'll get either a 2005 2nd or a 2006 2nd with conditions to become a 1st). sure he'd be a great backup RB, but he'll also be a malcontent in the lockerroom

definitely draft someone to challange shaud williams for backup RB. SW showed alot for an undrafted RB, but there are reasons nobody drafted him. give SW some competition and let him show his worth. if he fails he's an excellent #3 RB, if he succeeds even better