Drywall patches bleeding through paint

TSNBDSC

Contractor used Sherwin Williams Super Paint (paint with primer) and I have the drywall repair patches bleeding through. Ive read two coats of straight primer will fix this. Any thoughts on fixing this issue are appreciated !

Stayin :thumbsup:

Contractor used Sherwin Williams Super Paint (paint with primer) and I have the drywall repair patches bleeding through. Ive read two coats of straight primer will fix this. Any thoughts on fixing this issue are appreciated !

My first thought is: don't use paint with primer. There's a reason they're separate. Second thought is: next time, skim coat the wall (assuming you painted the whole wall). Easy to do (if you can do a drywall patch and paint), and in my experience gives better results than just mudding the seams.

Depends on what you mean by "bleeding through," but two coats of primer, then a coat of paint should fix it.

If your problems are like that, id skim coat it then use a name brand primer..zinser bullseye 123 is good,

then see how it looks.. and paint with a quality paint.

I own a hardware store and am not too fond of paint plus primer unless you are covering lightly

covered walls..

Thank you sir. Read that somewhere too. Heres a link that shows what I've got but not as bad. http://www.doityours...ough-paint.html And no it's not the peter pan guy ! BTW, should I use straight or tinted primer ? Tom

Only thing to add to what others have already said is use tinted primer if you're covering light colored walls with dark pigmented paint. You might be able to finish the job with a single coat of paint.

One other thing: if you use any sort of a textured finish, it'll hide most small imperfections in the wall. Our living room had a lot of imperfections when I drywalled it (unavoidable even after skim-coating, it's such an old, uneven damned house). We painted it with a coral base and darker, ragged-on glaze. It turned out very well, and you have to look closely to see the imperfections. Of course, if you want one solid color you probably won't want to do that...

We'll have to do the same with the master bath - took down the wall-paper, but that left the surface of the wall a mess that skim coating won't even cover.

Thank you sir. Read that somewhere too. Heres a link that shows what I've got but not as bad. http://www.doityours...ough-paint.html And no it's not the peter pan guy ! BTW, should I use straight or tinted primer ? Tom

That's a wall crying for skim coating. That's the difference between the mud and the other surface (drywall paper, old paint, whatever) showing through.

And it depends on the color paint...but never use straight white primer. Have the store tint it off-white (add a little gray pigment).

If your problems are like that, id skim coat it then use a name brand primer..zinser bullseye 123 is good,

then see how it looks.. and paint with a quality paint.

I own a hardware store and am not too fond of paint plus primer unless you are covering lightly

covered walls..

This ^^

Cool ! Thought that stuff only worked on stains !

I know some stuff about this:

If you don't mind the smell and have patience with a sticky roller (esply on a humid day). I obviously prefer bullseye 123. Skim coating is always the way to go (you only need do one wall if it is just one patch, unless it is a big wall takes little time) I always used to "prime" with True Value's ceiling white it used to have more pigment than any other brand and some primers. I have no idea if this is all still the way the things are in the states though as I haven't lived there in almost 9 years. BTW I used to work in art galleries and museums in Buffalo and NYC, have more experience doing this kind of stuff than I ever wanted to.

If you are ever doing a whole wall of skimming. over the years I found it is easier to use a bit of dish soap on the knife blade every 2 or 3 swipes to makes it smoother, less sanding. I also prefer wet sanding with a very light sandpaper.

Are the patches smooth with the wall, and just something visible, or are they patches that you can feel are different? If you can feel them, you didn't sand enough and should sand then do a larger skim coat (and lightly sand again)

If its just areas where the paint/finish appears darker, you should prime then paint

Theres nothing wrong with the paint with primer if your repainting an existing wall that was previously painted, but for new drywall you should always use atleast one coat of drywall primer over the fresh drywall and mud, then paint. The drywall primer will give the wall a better surface and will help the paint keep a consistent colour over the entire wall, otherwise the drywall paper, and the white mud will cause the paint colour to vary