To all the EJ nuthuggers

billsgpr88

He's not an NFL qb. Deal with it.

I wanted him to be one as much as anyone else, believe me. I was lying to myself saying he could be. He has so many things you would want in a starting QB and a face of a franchise: a big guy with a big arm, athleticism to run if he needs to, a good looking guy who never gets in trouble off the field and works his butt off all year. But the simple truth is, he doesn't have the talent.

He never hits a receiver in stride. He can't read a defense. He won't throw it downfield until they're behind and need a comeback. He has never shown the ability to be consistently accurate. And he doesn't show the qualities of being a leader during the game (when was the last time we saw a Bills QB riling up the team, or get in guys' faces on the sidelines? I want someone who wants to win more than anyone else on the team).

Everyone talks about development. I see posts of misleading statistics of other QBs that became elite, or QBs that sat on the bench for a few years (Brees, Eli, Rogers, etc.). But all of those guys showed potential. You could see them thread the needle in tight coverage, or make multiple reads until they found the wide open guy. You could see them playing to win and not playing not to lose. EJ's stats may be comparable to some of those guys in his young career, but he absolutely DOES NOT PASS THE EYEBALL TEST. You can see his lack of skills, and his fear of making a mistake (how many audibles for running plays have we seen?). It seems as though Marrone has realized this, and the sooner the better.

Hackett is also to blame, but that is a whole other thread

I wanted him to be one as much as anyone else, believe me. I was lying to myself saying he could be. He has so many things you would want in a starting QB and a face of a franchise: a big guy with a big arm, athleticism to run if he needs to, a good looking guy who never gets in trouble off the field and works his butt off all year. But the simple truth is, he doesn't have the talent.

He never hits a receiver in stride. He can't read a defense. He won't throw it downfield until they're behind and need a comeback. He has never shown the ability to be consistently accurate. And he doesn't show the qualities of being a leader during the game (when was the last time we saw a Bills QB riling up the team, or get in guys' faces on the sidelines? I want someone who wants to win more than anyone else on the team).

Everyone talks about development. I see posts of misleading statistics of other QBs that became elite, or QBs that sat on the bench for a few years (Brees, Eli, Rogers, etc.). But all of those guys showed potential. You could see them thread the needle in tight coverage, or make multiple reads until they found the wide open guy. You could see them playing to win and not playing not to lose. EJ's stats may be comparable to some of those guys in his young career, but he absolutely DOES NOT PASS THE EYEBALL TEST. You can see his lack of skills, and his fear of making a mistake (how many audibles for running plays have we seen?). It seems as though Marrone has realized this, and the sooner the better.

I have a hard time blaming hackett, simply because there are all sorts of changes a good QB can make at the line, or audible into a completely different formation all together, EJ does not have the experience to do that, and the OC can't possibly see that from the sideline in the moment. I was neither on, nor was I off the EJ bandwagon, but his accuracy looks a lot like Tebow's accuracy, and that guy is no longer even near a practice squad. I'm not seeing anything different from what's available online from EJs college days, so I'm not sure there is much to be done about his game... he just doesn't look like a pro level QB.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

Bolded part sums it up. But understand we had to go through this same BS (Mainly with the same posters..) with Trent, RJ, JP etc... They cling to a crap QB and make every excuse in the world for him. I really don't get it. Maybe the fanbase wants feel good stories and choir boys who try real hard vs, a winner. Not saying a winner can't be a great guy, but honestly I would take an AHOLE who didn't cheerlead in the locker room but won games and got us to a superbowl vs. another feel good story