34, 20, 21, 25, 25, 27, 23, 35, 24, 19, 27, 37, 13, 38, 36, 19

Dragonborn10

the key being they eventually did.... and EJ needs to start doing it too, but its not like wilson or ben were world beaters right out of the gate. im sure seattle fans have some pretty embarrassing posts on boards about wilson calling for him to be benched in favor of flynn, because he was the vet backup

The time frame for their "eventually" was within the first 8 games of their careers. They showed enough poise early on to merit patience, and by their 10th game or so, there was little question that they were going to be good.

Why doesn't anybody compare EJ to Jay Clocker, who's the more appropriate comparison from the Pacific Northwest?

In my opinion EJ's struggles with accuracy come from simply being rattled. The kid is all nerves. Hes a freakin rookie practically so don't tell me this isn't adding to the problem. OP is correct with his inference that his throws need to be limited.

When he does throw the ball we should be seeing high percentage routes over the middle. This backs the defensive secondary off to make room for running lanes.

Play calling has been mystifying at times. I don't pretend to be an expert so maybe the coaching has grand design I just don't see yet.

The time frame for their "eventually" was within the first 8 games of their careers. They showed enough poise early on to merit patience, and by their 10th game or so, there was little question that they were going to be good.

Why doesn't anybody compare EJ to Jay Clocker, who's the more appropriate comparison from the Pacific Northwest?

wilson only cracked 50 QBR 3 of his first 7 games with game 7 being a 9 for 23 for 122 yards and a pick showing. he didnt crack 300 yards until his 18th consecutive start.

im not arguing that EJ is great, or even has a good shot and getting there -- simply pointing out how terribly non-linear things can be in this. wilson pretty deep into his first year was getting called out, and then they reworked some of the offensive concepts and the light came on for him and things started functioning well.

EJ has had more starts but a lot less continuity due to the injuries. its not likely he turns things around the same way but i think most are overselling what wilson out of the gate.

wilson only cracked 50 QBR 3 of his first 7 games with game 7 being a 9 for 23 for 122 yards and a pick showing. he didnt crack 300 yards until his 18th consecutive start.

im not arguing that EJ is great, or even has a good shot and getting there -- simply pointing out how terribly non-linear things can be in this. wilson pretty deep into his first year was getting called out, and then they reworked some of the offensive concepts and the light came on for him and things started functioning well.

EJ has had more starts but a lot less continuity due to the injuries. its not likely he turns things around the same way but i think most are overselling what wilson out of the gate.

Wilson won the job fair and square out of the gate, was brought up slowly and then started tearing it up by the end of the season. He didn't need to put up 300 yards in the air, because he is also a smart & effective runner (are you reading this, Wannstedt?). There were more than minor hints that Wilson could be a good NFL QB despite his height.

But EJ has shown little but an erratic consistency and huge signs of regression after his second training camp. The Bills don't run an overly complex offense, yet he's still making basic mistakes.