Buffalo 66- anyone see this film?

Pete

I loved it.

Now, for anyone who likes predictable, Disneyesque, car crashes and gratuitous teen pranks and ass shots, this isn't for you.

It's very quirky. A few steps off center from your basic Tarantino or Cohn Brothers flicks.

Some very tongue in cheek humor and it uses expressions unique to Buffalo such as, 'mocking me out'.

The gist of the story is about Billy (named after his obsessed mother's football team, no doubt), and his struggle to give and receive love. His untimely 1966 birth caused his mother to miss the Buffalo Bills last championship win. She has never forgiven him for it. His mother is obsessed with the Bills and watches video taped games and has her house adorned with Bills stuff.

The family photo album has pictures of her with various Bills, including Jack Kemp, but no photos of Billy growing up.

When Billy is grown, the Bills have a chance to avenge his lifelong misery by finally winning a championship. Billy sees a bookie and places a bet on the Bills to win in the Superbowl. Scott Wood misses the potential game-winning 47 yarder wide right (surprise!). Billy's mother continues to ignore him, and to make matters worse, Billy can't cover the bet. He repays the bookie by taking the rap for someone else's crime and spends 4 years in prison.

As the movie begins, he's just getting out of prison. His mission is to get Scott Wood for all the misery he's caused by missing that field goal that would have changed everything.

Anyway - it's fairly bizzare. Some great scenes with Christina Ricci, including the photo booth (spanning time) one and the bowling alley scenes. The father's singing scene (Lip-synched to an actual recording of Gallo's real-life father) is surreal.

A lot of people would absolutely hate this movie. It's slow moving. It's more of a character study than a great story. Billy is kind of a modern day Holden Caufield. A good kid who's just gotten some crummy breaks along the way and is sensitive enough to let it get to him.

It's worth checking out. It shows up occasionally on the Bravo channel and is in most video stores.

I loved it.

Now, for anyone who likes predictable, Disneyesque, car crashes and gratuitous teen pranks and ass shots, this isn't for you.

It's very quirky. A few steps off center from your basic Tarantino or Cohn Brothers flicks.

Some very tongue in cheek humor and it uses expressions unique to Buffalo such as, 'mocking me out'.

The gist of the story is about Billy (named after his obsessed mother's football team, no doubt), and his struggle to give and receive love. His untimely 1966 birth caused his mother to miss the Buffalo Bills last championship win. She has never forgiven him for it. His mother is obsessed with the Bills and watches video taped games and has her house adorned with Bills stuff.

The family photo album has pictures of her with various Bills, including Jack Kemp, but no photos of Billy growing up.

When Billy is grown, the Bills have a chance to avenge his lifelong misery by finally winning a championship. Billy sees a bookie and places a bet on the Bills to win in the Superbowl. Scott Wood misses the potential game-winning 47 yarder wide right (surprise!). Billy's mother continues to ignore him, and to make matters worse, Billy can't cover the bet. He repays the bookie by taking the rap for someone else's crime and spends 4 years in prison.

As the movie begins, he's just getting out of prison. His mission is to get Scott Wood for all the misery he's caused by missing that field goal that would have changed everything.

Anyway - it's fairly bizzare.  Some great scenes with Christina Ricci, including the photo booth (spanning time) one and the bowling alley scenes. The father's singing scene (Lip-synched to an actual recording of Gallo's real-life father) is surreal.

A lot of people would absolutely hate this movie. It's slow moving. It's more of a character study than a great story. Billy is kind of a modern day Holden Caufield. A good kid who's just gotten some crummy breaks along the way and is sensitive enough to let it get to him.

It's worth checking out. It shows up occasionally on the Bravo channel and is in most video stores.

222145[/snapback]

No need to rent it now, you just gave it all away :lol:

Here's a true story that parallels part of that worthless movie...

I have a friend who shall remain nameless from highschool who was living in Tampa as a married father of two in 1991. We grew up together in a suburb of Buffalo. Anyway, before the Superbowl he goes and places $10k on the Bills to win with a bookie.

Well, we all know how the game turned out, with Norwood missing the 47 yard field goal wide right. Here's the strange part...

My friend goes home and tells Mama about his bet and loss. She takes the kids, leaves to her parents and divorces him, and ever since he's been a raging alcoholic.

The kicker (pardon the pun) here is that my friend was born and raised on 47 Norwood St. in the unnamed burg of Buffalo. That event precipitated the circling of the drain that my friends life has become. In fact, if I told you the name of the bar, you'd be able to find him there tonight I bet, telling anyone who'll listen his "story".

As an ugly Canadian once wailed..."Isn't it ironic...don't you think?.."

Damn......I thought I was the only one who knew that.......Didn't he go to Dennys?  Across the street.

222233[/snapback]

The Denny's is the one on the corner of Niagara Falls Blvd. and Sheridan. Personally, I think that movie is a must see for any Bills fan/Buffalonian.

The Denny's is the one on the corner of Niagara Falls Blvd. and Sheridan.  Personally, I think that movie is a must see for any Bills fan/Buffalonian.

222236[/snapback]

There's a Denny's right across the street from the gas station he runs from.....so, who knows what they did. I haven't seen that movie in a while.

I thought the movie was ok.....if you aren't from Buffalo, no real reason to watch.

What's the problem with what Gallo said?  Was I the only one who read the entire article?  In a way he is right......there happen to be plenty of retarded, vindictive assclowns who live in the Buffalo area.

222239[/snapback]

I think I can say that for most areas of the country. Now, if Gallo pointed that out then what he said is fine, however, if he just decided to pick on Buffalo...well that's something else.

great movie. i have it TIVO'd.

i return to Buffalo 2-3x/year. it is a sh-- town. there are no jobs left. the only jobs are civil service.

my sister and i work out of town in the private sector. had to move to get a good job.

my other sister and brother work for the state and county. take away the civil service jobs and no one would live there.

that being said i would move back in a second if i could find a good job there.

The Denny's is the one on the corner of Niagara Falls Blvd. and Sheridan.  Personally, I think that movie is a must see for any Bills fan/Buffalonian.

222236[/snapback]

i thought that was the one...i used to go there during college before the perkins on maple turned into dennys (perkins was better...never had problems with their food and they had the bottomless cup of hot chocolate)...had many an assplosion from eating at dennys

there's a mobil directly across the street from that dennys on sheridan and niagara falls blvd

I think his mother still has season tix on the right side of the tunnell...

You are correct. She drives on the bus from eastern hills mall. she is the most annoying piece of sh-- i've ever had to deal with. I take the bus so i don't have to drive drunk, and she just does the old lady yell so everyone can hear you the entire time. I've told her to shut up many times. It's awful.