Could Donahoe consider Tim Couch?

Tipster19

Unfortunately, he's injured. IIRC, he's suing the Packers for cutting him without offering an injury settlement.

221679[/snapback]

Yeah I knew he was hurt, but is it a career ender or what? Look I'm no proponent of Tim Couch I just think that stranger things have happened. It wouldn't be so proposterous that he would come into a better situation than what he had in Cleveland and have some success. But who the hell knows?

Yeah I knew he was hurt, but is it a career ender or what?  Look I'm no proponent of Tim Couch I just think that stranger things have happened.  It wouldn't be so proposterous that he would come into a better situation than what he had in Cleveland and have some success.  But who the hell knows?

221683[/snapback]

It might be - he gets into the n'paper here now and again, being from a div. rival, and a former Univ of KY college player.

He had some pretty good seasons with WR's Kevin Johnson and Quincy Morgan and Dennis Northcutt.

Or Drew Brees........see sometimes people can suck and then a real coach gets in there or they get to a team that understands how to utilize them and they can turn it around.

I'm not saying Tim Couch is one of those people, but keeping him on the roster for league minimum in a 2nd or 3rd string capacity might be worth a thought.

221664[/snapback]

I agree that somtimes a change of scenery works out well for a guy. But just keep in mind, Couch couldn't even beat out David Nall (who?) on the Packers roster this past summer. He didn't even make their squad! Trying to make a team, with 4 years experience as an NFL starter, to back up Brett Favre (who never misses a snap!) is about as low pressure a situation as Couch could have asked for. Something tells me the guy has some deficiencies, be they mental or physical.

You see, I think the Bills will be kind of ham-strung by their QB situation, unless TD just decides to let Bledsoe go, and wants to concede this year as another rebuilding year. Nobody is going to trade for Bledsoe, because his current salary is quite a bit more than he is worth. Someone like Couch (but not Couch!) would be the ideal solution (younger, with some starting experience, realizes he may not be a starter), but there are not many of those guys around. Most would opt to go somewhere that gives them a chance to compete for the starting job, Buffalo would not. All of the older guys names being mentioned (Garcia, Warner, Gannon) view themselves as starters, and would not be willing to come to Buffalo to back-up Losman. Other guys, like Fiedler, etc. etc. are just not very good, and would be inferior to Bledsoe.

I am of the opinion that the Bills are on the cusp of being a very good team, mabe even one of the upper-echelon teams. I don't think they (or we) should be willing to take a step backwards next year, to try out a new QB. I am all for giving JP a shot at winning the job, but I want some insurance behind him, that is a known commodity. Bledsoe may have his problems, at his best this past season, he was solid not spectacular. I would take a solid Bledsoe over Fiedler or Couch any day.

i wouldn't want couch, based on what i've seen of him and what i've heard from browns fans.  listening to them talk about couch is like listening to us talk about one of our former QBs

so i say this both in jest and in seriousness

couch = rj

221680[/snapback]

Browns fans have been unfair to all their QBs and seem to have lost their minds during the hiatus. They have a terrible offense and the decision not to build the offensive line or other skill positions ruined Couch's career before it started.

I agree that somtimes a change of scenery works out well for a guy.  But just keep in mind, Couch couldn't even beat out David Nall (who?) on the Packers roster this past summer.  He didn't even make their squad!  Trying to make a team, with 4 years experience as an NFL starter, to back up Brett Favre (who never misses a snap!) is about as low pressure a situation as Couch could have asked for.  Something tells me the guy has some deficiencies, be they mental or physical. 

221710[/snapback]

For the umpteenth time - his shoulder was SHOT when he signed with the Pack. Go enter a polka contest with your left leg amputated at the knee and tell us how you did.... :w00t:

For the umpteenth time - his shoulder was SHOT when he signed with the Pack. Go enter a polka contest with your left leg amputated at the knee and tell us how you did.... :w00t:

221745[/snapback]

Yeah, I know he had shoulder problems. But there also seemed to be plenty of speculation out of Clevland and Green Bay that he was sort of "basket case"...we have been there and done that!

In response to buftex thought on a younger, experienced QB. Your qualifications desciption leads me to believe that Griese would be a good fit. That may not be too shabby. It looks like Tampa may have to release him due to cap issues. How would the Buffalo faithful feel about this x Bronco/Dolphin and possibly x Buc? Opinions welcomed but keep it civil.

In response to buftex thought on a younger, experienced QB. Your qualifications desciption leads me to believe that Griese would be a good fit. That may not be too shabby. It looks like Tampa may have to release him due to cap issues. How would the Buffalo faithful feel about this x Bronco/Dolphin and possibly x Buc? Opinions welcomed but keep it civil.

222056[/snapback]

Not bad. But with bars open 7 days a week in NY... :lol:

222056[/snapback]

You know, Griese strikes me as one of those guys who could do decently in the right atmosphere. I think signing him, and cutting him in favor of Jay Fiedler was one of Dave Wannestadts' major mistakes in Miami.

As a casual Broncos fan over the years, I kind of think Griese got screwed in Denver, and really had a hard time living in Elways' shadow. That being said, again, I think the Bucs will figure out a way to resign him, and if they can't, it is an indication that money is as big an issue to him as playing time is. That would make him less likely to want to come to Buffalo. I don't see TD getting in a bidding war for a back-up qb/insurance policy. Bledsoe, assuming he takes a pay cut, still makes more sense to me....

In Buffalo, Griese would compete with JP Losman, for less money than the Bucs would likely pay him. In TB, he only has to beat out Chris Simms, who after watching him down here in Austin during his college career, looks a lot like a south-paw Rob Johnson. Gruden was very high on Simms at one time, but from what I have read, has cooled some on him, after seeing him play in real games. He is not a good decision maker...now, that brings up one possibility that I have not seen anybody mention, BRAD JOHNSON! Maybe we could trade Travis to the Bucs for one of their early picks, and Brad Johnson. Whaddya think?

Although I think Brad Johnson would be more than a serviceable insurance policy, I don't think Buffalo would take a risk with him. His knees are shot and speak of being injury prone! At least with Bledsoe he's healthy and pretty tough if I say so myself. Durability has to be a part of the equation. Johnson is long in tooth also. I don't see this as a valid solution. I would add him to the roster though if Matthews retire. Bledsoe, Losman and Johnson- that would some great QB depth while the younster gets his experience. I'm not a fan of his but Quincy Carter would be a better alternative. Rather young with experience and probably come at a reasonable cost.

Although I think Brad Johnson would be more than a serviceable insurance policy, I don't think Buffalo would take a risk with him. His knees are shot and speak of being injury prone! At least with Bledsoe he's healthy and pretty tough if I say so myself. Durability has to be a part of the equation. Johnson is long in tooth also. I don't see this as a valid solution. I would add him to the roster though if Matthews retire. Bledsoe, Losman and Johnson- that would some great QB depth while the younster gets his experience. I'm not a fan of his but Quincy Carter would be a better alternative. Rather young with experience and probably come at a reasonable cost.

222255[/snapback]

I was only sort of joking about Brad Johnson. No way would I want him if we still had Bledsoe. I am just trying to convince everyone here (I guess it is sort of crusading) that instead of blasting Bledsoe, and assuming anyone else that other teams don't want is better, we should as a collective come to the conclusion that we are destined, and would be lucky, to have Bledsoe back in 2005 (I stress with a paycut!) as a challenger for the starting spot. He, Losman and the Bills would all benefit. It just seems like a lynch mob mentality has set in concerning Bledsoe...

Well, I'm not joking. I'm not going to be a hater and say nasty things about Bledsoe. That's not what this is about. I'm sure he's a heck of a nice guy and he doesn't seem like a sissy. as a matter of fact , he tries his best. Can't fault him for effort. But you know we all just speculate on these messageboards, but does anyone really knows what goes on in the franchise? Whose the real experts on evaluating talent? Donahoe and company, that's who. And guess what, he spent a 1ST rdn pick on this guy and vehemently defended him at the end of the '03 season. Doesn't look like Donahoe has alot of confidence in Bledsoe right now does it? Well, rightly so. When you have the #2 defense combined with an electrifying special team, I think people SHOULD expect a post season appearance from their team. So what happen? Willis was an animal. He didn't do it on his own. That offensive line helped more than they been credited with. Oh and that rookie Evans, what a great addition he is! Well, Moulds may have been a little quiet but he was still a threat while he was on the field. No, I'm sorry when you get paid that much money(what- 5+ million?) and are given a reasonable amount of responsibility, then it's only fair to expect that you come thru AND even make a difference. Bledsoe didn't. I don't know who would or could be a better choice but I don't feel confident or even have hope anymore that Bledsoe is the answer. Furthermore I don't think I'm the only one.