It's not that the Bills suck, it's that they don't matter

We're like Flounder and Pinto at the beginning of Animal House.....we get shuffled into the corner with Jugdish the other guys, because we just don't matter. People hear "The Bills" and the next thing they think, if anything at all, is "loser" or "they suck." They don't even have to think about it. They don't know what we know.

It takes energy to know all about football. There are 32 teams, and even the most ardent fan doesn't give a tinker's damn about the Bills. We're so far down the list, we're actually below the Mendoza line. Nobody cares to take the time to observe anything about our team.

Remember the year we started 4-0? Suddenly we were important. Then Adrian Wilson put Trent Edwards into another dimension, and the season was over. We haven't really been heard from since then.

Although the year we signed Mario and brought in Wanny, we became a popular pre-season pick to make the playoffs. When we sucked that year, I think the media turned their backs on us once and for all.

It will take a blistering start to get the focus back on this team.

We have tons of talent. We're easy picking for the pundits right now. Wait a few weeks and see what happens.

We will be relevant.

We're like Flounder and Pinto at the beginning of Animal House.....we get shuffled into the corner with Jugdish the other guys, because we just don't matter. People hear "The Bills" and the next thing they think, if anything at all, is "loser" or "they suck." They don't even have to think about it. They don't know what we know.

It takes energy to know all about football. There are 32 teams, and even the most ardent fan doesn't give a tinker's damn about the Bills. We're so far down the list, we're actually below the Mendoza line. Nobody cares to take the time to observe anything about our team.

Remember the year we started 4-0? Suddenly we were important. Then Adrian Wilson put Trent Edwards into another dimension, and the season was over. We haven't really been heard from since then.

Although the year we signed Mario and brought in Wanny, we became a popular pre-season pick to make the playoffs. When we sucked that year, I think the media turned their backs on us once and for all.

It will take a blistering start to get the focus back on this team.

We have tons of talent. We're easy picking for the pundits right now. Wait a few weeks and see what happens.

We will be relevant.

We have SOME talented players. But every NFL team has some talented players. The problem is we have Doug Marrone as head coach and EJ Manuel as our starting QB. Neither of which has done anything in the NFL to warrant any positive attention. If we start out the season playing winning competitive football, we will get noticed. The NFL season is long. You have to win over a period of time, before your team gets noticed. Talk to me half way thru the season. If we are playing competitive football w at least a 5-3 record, we will be discussed.

And besides, do you really care what others say about your team? I just want to feel good every Sunday about the team. That has not happened w regularity since the 1999 season. 15 FRIKIN YEARS. When the Bills play well, I love the entire NFL, and can watch any game on TV. Because I know my team is part of the mix. When they are bad---which is most of the time. The season is pure drudgery. Lets hope for competent coaching, and competitive play. We get that (no given, by any stretch) it will be a fun season.

I live in Tennessee now and just had a conversation with someone who noticed my non-southern accent. He said, "Are you from New York?". I said "Yes, Buffalo." He said, "Oh? Big Yankees fan?" I said, "No, not really into baseball. I'm from Buffalo and we don't have an MLB team. I like football." He said, "Oh, Giants or Jets?"

I live in Tennessee now and just had a conversation with someone who noticed my non-southern accent. He said, "Are you from New York?". I said "Yes, Buffalo." He said, "Oh? Big Yankees fan?" I said, "No, not really into baseball. I'm from Buffalo and we don't have an MLB team. I like football." He said, "Oh, Giants or Jets?"

did they ask you if there were trees and cows where you lived?

I like the optimism.

If we beat Chicago, the media will all be about how the Bears are overrated. If we beat Miami, we'll be thought of as the second-best team in the division. If we beat San Diego, we'll be thought of as a legitimate wild card contender. If we beat New England...then they'll be on the bandwagon.

It just takes wins.

+1

I don't know the kind of people you know but when I tell people I am a die hard Bills fan people say it's guys like me that make the NFL awesome. They say how awesome it must have been to see a team go to 4 straight Super Bowls. Who cares we lost them all? It defines us as Bills fans, it is our history, we own it & are proud. We are about survival, billieving, & fighting till the end, it is our DNA. What other team comes back down 3-35?

You want a fan to emulate think of Tim Russert & how much love he had for the "bumbiling bills".

I mean could any city endure 14 straight seasons of no playoffs without losing a significant chunk of their fanbase? It isn't Russ Brandon's "genius" marketing or the fact that our ticket prices are "cheap". Bills fans have a connection with players & the region that is unique.

We are a truly unique fanbase. I went Canton and we outnumbered Giants fans 3 to 1, no small feat considering while they are 1-1/2 hours farther than Buffalo but have 10x the population. We travel extremely well considering our relative stagnat economy and lack of income. Call this our investment we've made to our team. The greatest thing you can give to something is your time. Bills fans constantly pack seats in Cleveland, Cincy, Miami, Jacksonville & other outposts hundreds of miles away.

Jim Kelly is a shining beckon of what it means to be a Bills fan. Here's a guy who is a survivor. Battled crushing Super Bowl defeats - survived, battled countless surgeries - survived, battled alcoholism - survived, nearly lost his marriage - survived, crashed in a plane upside in Alaska while hunting - survived. Cancer of the jaw - survived. Cancer of the head - survived. Endured loss of his only son & 7 years of debilitating disease - survived & fought to eliminate the very disease that claimed his son. What a warrior.

It's time to circle the wagons, Go Bills!

I like the optimism.

If we beat Chicago, the media will all be about how the Bears are overrated. If we beat Miami, we'll be thought of as the second-best team in the division. If we beat San Diego, we'll be thought of as a legitimate wild card contender. If we beat New England...then they'll be on the bandwagon.

It just takes wins.

Yep. No truer words about NFL football have ever been spoken than those that came from Al Davis' lips......"Just win, Baby!"

I know this roster can be special. Whether it will translate to W's or not, I don't know. No one does, yet.

If this roster is special it would translate to W's. It's far from being there at this point. If the Bills can be an 8-8 team I would consider it a success. If we come out of this season, regardless of its record, learning that EJ is a legitimate franchise qb than I would consider this a successful season and something to build on.

Does anyone really care how we are perceived?

No kidding, this isn't college football. They don't have a selection committee determining who makes the playoffs. Win enough games and they're in. That's all the matters.