Are we in la la land? Nfl.com thinks we will finish 4th in AFC E

Yeah I know what you're thinking. We have sucked for so long, what do you expect them to say? Expect to be favored to win the superbowl?

No of course not. And I get that.

In their season preview; The topic title is Buffalo Bills: Going in the wrong direction

Basically I want to know if that's right? Are we going in the wrong direction?

I thougt we were progressing. But in reality, are we going to flat out bust this year?

What do you guys think? Blind faith????

Edit: Forgot to add. They better be wrong!

Go bills!

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yawn. They have no reason to say anything else. I think we will surprise everyone.

speaking of which, have any national sportswriters/broadcasters predicted them to be this year's "surprise team" yet? that article/proclamation always marks the official beginning of football season for me.

Edited by Dirtbag

If we keep going the same direction, eventually the league will change course and we will be way ahead of everyone.

Ok. So you think we are turning the corner. I get it.

Welcome to la la land. You can be the mayor.

Edited by Clippers of Nfl

I was really optimistic around draft time. I liked the offseason that we had. With that being said, the Kiko injury followed by what seems to be minimal progress from EJ has me more concerned. I was thinkin 10-6(ish) but I think that I am closer to 8-8 now. Countless games are determined by a bounce or a big play and we have guys capable of making those. If this team can figure out how to close games they will be okay.

I don't understand how we're "going in the wrong direction."

I will say that the majority of NFL Network goons are really, really down on EJ Manuel, to the extent that we, as fans, can expect him to get the same kind of respect from the national media that Alex Smith has received, and little more.

He could be perfectly solid, and we could finish at 11-5, but unless he's statistically in the top-5, I'd expect the national types to refer to our quarterback position as a "situation."

In all honesty:

What area of the team do you feel is significantly improved from last year, which will result in the Buffalo Bills winning more than 6 games?

run D, sammy, infusion of talent on o-line, EJ has a full off season under his belt, etc...

I don't understand how we're "going in the wrong direction."

I will say that the majority of NFL Network goons are really, really down on EJ Manuel, to the extent that we, as fans, can expect him to get the same kind of respect from the national media that Alex Smith has received, and little more.

He could be perfectly solid, and we could finish at 11-5, but unless he's statistically in the top-5, I'd expect the national types to refer to our quarterback position as a "situation."

Yeah that's what I thought which is why I started this topic.

I understand not finishing 1st in the Afc, but wrong direction is like a bad team getting worse...

You can be my vice president.

Yeah that's what I thought which is why I started this topic.

I understand not finishing 1st in the Afc, but wrong direction is like a bad team getting worse...

You can be my vice president.

I look forward to representing you at foreign soirees.

Seriously though, 'going in the wrong direction' would imply the moves made in the offseason have set the team further back.

How could that possibly be the case when our biggest concerns were run defense and WR and we went out and got the best run-stuffing MLB in the league and a defensive coordinator whose specialty is..stopping the run?

THEN we grabbed something we've been lacking for quite some time, a red zone receiver in Mike Williams, AND we got he consensus-best WR in the draft who's only managed to distance himself from the scrum competing for second place.

The only thing they might point to, from a personnel standpoint, is the loss of Byrd, which--until his bum hip was revealed--was a debatable loss.

Edited by The Big Cat

I look forward to representing you at foreign soirees.

Seriously though, 'going in the wrong direction' would imply the moves made in the offseason have set the team further back.

How could that possibly be the case when our biggest concerns were run defense and WR and we went out and got the best run-stuffing MLB in the league and a defensive coordinator whose specialty is..stopping the run?

THEN we grabbed something we've been lacking for quite some time, a red zone receiver in Mike Williams, AND we got he consensus-best WR in the draft who's only managed to distance himself from the scrum competing for second place.

The only thing they might point to, from a personnel standpoint, is the loss of Byrd, which--until his bum hip was revealed--was a debatable loss.

See that is where we are effing up.

Putting major league baseball players to stop the run game.

Jk.

You sound kind of high on the team Big cat. What do you think our record will look like? But really. Step outside of our la la kingdom for a bit.

In all honesty:

What area of the team do you feel is significantly improved from last year, which will result in the Buffalo Bills winning more than 6 games?

The run defense, the wide receiving corps, probably the offensive line and our QB being in his 2nd year as opposed to a rookie. I am picking the Bills to finish third, behind the Jets and ahead of the Dolphins. I think they are in the mix for that 6th playoff spot (Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, Colts and Broncos).

Edited by metzelaars_lives

run D, sammy, infusion of talent on o-line, EJ has a full off season under his belt, etc...

elaborate on the etc...

and to address your points:

how do you feel the run defense has improved? we were 28th in total run defense last year--how did we improve that? by bringing in spikes? he anchored a run defense in new england that finished (wait for it) 30th! where is the improvement? a new coordinator? ok, maybe.

infusion of talent on the oline? that may be the case, but was oline play REALLY the problem last year? we had the second most potent rushing offense in the league, leading me to believe that the problems on offense came down to our qb.

ej has a full offseason under his belt... but my friend, that is a zero sum game. so does geno smith (jets were better than us last year.) tannehil has another year under his belt as well. brady is still brady.

and all of those gains can be mitigated by the losses of:

stevie

byrd

kiko

there is absolutely no reason to think this team should/can/will be improved from their 6-10 mark last season.

i hope they are. more than anyone, i hope they are. but they wont be, i promise.

any writer that picks the bills to finish any better than 4th is crazy.