OK so when it boils right down to it...it is

Losman has the power right here right now to get us back to the playoffs...

The first thing he must show is committment......get a room next to the Ralph JP...and live in the filmroom and weightroom

218355[/snapback]

Rusty Jones & Sam Wyche should be JP's best friends from this day forward.

Not that it has anything to do with JP and his future, but I can't help but laugh as I recall this statement from last off-season...."He was outstanding in the film room and weight room" or something like that. You know who they were talking about.....

Mike Pucillo...and look where it got him. :P

The first thing he must show is committment......get a room next to the Ralph JP...and live in the filmroom and weightroom

Yeah... that worked real well with RJ.

What he needs to do is start working with not only the coaches and the weight room... what he needs to do is show some brass balls, step up and be a leader... start calling his receivers and schedule workouts with them... and bond with them... get a synergy going... shoot hoops together (that's one way Flutie & Moulds were a good combo...because Flutie understood Eric's ability and athleticism.

What he needs to do is start working with not only the coaches and the weight room... what he needs to do is show some brass balls, step up and be a leader... start calling his receivers and schedule workouts with them... and bond with them... get a synergy going... shoot hoops together (that's one way Flutie & Moulds were a good combo...because Flutie understood Eric's ability and athleticism.

218367[/snapback]

Not to mention buying beers and wings for the OLine. Gotta have the love of the fat guys.

218367[/snapback]

Just so that you know my opinion....I feel that Rob Johnson had ALL the ability in order to be a great QB...he was only missing:

- toughness

- leadership ability

Those are traits that you really cannot teach.....and appear to possibly be strong assets of JP Losmans....

What I want is to see him ready for a training camp battle and know the playbook just as well as Drew Bledsoe......

Just so that you know my opinion....I feel that Rob Johnson had ALL the ability in order to be a great QB...he was only missing:

- toughness

- leadership ability

Those are traits that you really cannot teach.....and appear to possibly be strong assets of JP Losmans....

What I want is to see him ready for a training camp battle and know the playbook just as well as Drew Bledsoe......

218396[/snapback]

Uh, you forgot brains. Rob Johnson was the BF of NFL QBs.

You're kidding, right??? If Bledose had the play book memorized so well, he would know all of the options, the progression, and when to throw. JP has to know it better than Bledsoe... and he sure as hell has to execute better than Bledsoe.

JP needs to relax and clear his mind, and that is exactly what he is doing........he's in cali recharging the batteries........come march, he'll be in buffalo and chomping at the bit........that is the time to work with coaches, bond with teammates, learn the playbook, etc........now is the time to rest so that he doesn't burn out next season and is ready for the long haul (if that is what it comes down to)........

- toughness

- leadership ability

218396[/snapback]

Rob was plenty tough. That shdn't be in question considering the battering he took. Remember how he sold out against KC.

Rob's biggest problem was that his iq only slightly hovered above Mr.Ed's.

- toughness

- leadership ability

218396[/snapback]

Aside from the things you correctly mentioned, John, RJ was also missing the unbelievably critical "ability to read the defense" trait. This is why he was so often sacked. Sacks are more often a fault of the quarterback's inability to quickly read a defense than the fault is the offensive line's, but since the quarterback is generally the hero, the o-line usually takes the heap of the blame.

So, that's the big thing about Losman. Can he read a defense? Is he smart? Is he quick minded? Those are the things that will generally lead to success more so than things (which are also important, but not as quite as much) like commitment, leadership ability, toughness and having "the physical tools."

You're kidding, right???  If Bledose had the play book memorized so well, he would know all of the options, the progression, and when to throw.  JP has to know it better than Bledsoe... and he sure as hell has to execute better than Bledsoe.

218403[/snapback]

THis is what I think would happen.....

Drew would be able to make all the throws....BUT Losman is going to counter that by being able to make MOST of the throws AND scrambling out of trouble.....

It will be enough to get him over the hump.....and Bledsoe to the sideline

Aside from the things you correctly mentioned, John, RJ was also missing the unbelievably critical "ability to read the defense" trait. This is why he was so often sacked. Sacks are more often a fault of the quarterback's inability to quickly read a defense than the fault is the offensive line's, but since the quarterback is generally the hero, the o-line usually takes the heap of the blame.

So, that's the big thing about Losman. Can he read a defense? Is he smart? Is he quick minded?  Those are the things that will generally lead to success more so than things (which are also important, but not as quite as much) like commitment, leadership ability, toughness and having "the physical tools."

218409[/snapback]

The NFL is still waiting for Johnson to make his first correct pre-snap read.

Losman has alot of physical talent. His mental awareness is an unknown quality, but what he HAS shown is the willingness to pull the ball down and run. RJ didn't really do that, he would lock on somewhere and eat the ball even though we COULD run. Losman DOES run. To that end, the BIlls need to contact the Bisons and get somebody in to teach him how to hook slide properly so he doesn't get himself killed. He was quoted regarding not feeling comfortable sliding so he doesn't do it. Thats a valid point because if you slide wrong you can break your leg or rip up your ankle. So teach him how to do it NOW.

I'm feeling like Losman will look like Brett Favre of 92ish, big arm running around, sometimes making great plays sometimes making incredibly bonehead throws into coverage. Of course thats what we have now only minus the running.

Losman has the power right here right now to get us back to the playoffs...

218355[/snapback]

ABSO-frikkin-LUTELY!

He has a very very very good chance of having the starting job, the WRONG thing to do is blow it by not showing the team he is SERIOUS about the job.

In a way, this is the first chance to see what JP is made of. Many made the comment that he was cocky, and has a overbloated image of himself.

If thats true, he would probably show it by not taking this opportunity to be the "sponge" and stick with the team this offseason, learning every single thing he can to be as prepared as possible.

I bet, he gets it done in his first test, so to speak, and stays and studies hard!

To me that will start to cement down that he has the right attitude and approach to the game, that he doesnt think his god given talent will carry him through, and that he has MUCH to learn.

Losman has  alot of physical talent.  His mental awareness is an unknown quality, but what he HAS shown is the willingness to pull the ball down and run.  RJ didn't really do that, he would lock on somewhere and eat the ball even though we COULD run.  Losman DOES run.  To that end, the BIlls need to contact the Bisons and get somebody in to teach him how to hook slide properly so he doesn't get himself killed.  He was quoted regarding not feeling comfortable sliding so he doesn't do it.  Thats a valid point because if you slide wrong you can break your leg or rip up your ankle.  So teach him how to do it NOW.

I'm feeling like Losman will look like Brett Favre of 92ish, big arm running around, sometimes making great plays sometimes making incredibly bonehead throws into coverage.  Of course thats what we have now only minus the running.

218425[/snapback]

SO TRUE< I just re-watched the SF game. Drew made some HORRIBLE throws in the 1st half that would have been picked and run back for TD's if it were NE!

THis is what I think would happen.....

Drew would be able to make all the throws....BUT Losman is going to counter that by being able to make MOST of the throws AND scrambling out of trouble.....

It will be enough to get him over the hump.....and Bledsoe to the sideline

218411[/snapback]

I saw alot of throws that Drew didn't Make.

I saw alot of throws that Drew didn't Make.

218446[/snapback]

I was going to say. The screen pass, the quick out, the slant. Anything with touch. He struggled badly. Always bouncing them low or throwing behind the receiver. He threw the nice rope 30-40 yards down the field. That's about it.

Actually...I meant in training camp.

218449[/snapback]

I agree. In a camp situation with no real pass rush, Drew will make the throws. But we all saw that happened when he's under pressure. JP, learning pains and all, will give us a better chance to win the games that count.

When we drafted J.P., wasn't one of the traits that most of the Bills loved about him was that he had a swagger not seen since Jim Kelly?

Once J.P. gets the understanding of the offense to just manage the game, the Bills offense will take off. He's smart enough to realize that he has Willis behind him. Let Willis do the "dirty work" if you will. If it comes down to J.P. to win a game, sure. It will not be that pretty at first, but J.P. will be able to get the job done, sooner than later.