Special Teams article in Buffalo News

Crossman goes on about the bottom of the roster changing during the season. If they are using the bottom of the roster to fill special teams it is no wonder that they suck. Special teams has a huge impact on the game. Why would you put the bottom of the roster in a position to ruin a game? Something in there about not knowing the guy next to you, and not knowing what he's going to do. What?

Why doesn't Marrone put more emphasis on Special Teams? Last year they sucked. The year before they were just fine. They blamed it on the players. It's the coach. He sucked at Detroit, and he sucks here. This is nonsense.

When Marrone insists on running a hurry up offense and drives last 14 seconds before the punter hits the field....and you load up the field with the bottom of your roster, you're not likely to win many games.

One of our prior coaches insisted that everybody on the team, with the exception of the quarterback, was going to be considered part of the special teams unit. That sounds like a plan to me.

I think the one issue with the hurry up offense and the subsequent pressure it puts on your defense is that you tend not to use starters/high snap count guys for special teams. We seem to have enough talent on special teams to excel from the non-starter pool and the onus will be on Crossman this year to have the guys making plays.

I believe the Bills have added their 6 ST guys that Marrone and Whaley said they wanted. I'll name 10.

Marcus Easley will stay on ST this year unless he's outplayed on ST by another WR. That's unlikely, but at minimum we have 2012's NFL's top solo tackler back and 2013's 18 solo tackles in kick/punt coverage, the 2nd highest total in the NFL.

Preston Brown led his Louisville team in ST tackles in college--three years in a row.

Ty Powell played 5 games last year, but was the 5th-leading tackler. He has the LB impact and the S range, and Alonso's injury made him a de facto member of the 53.

Corey Graham NFC Pro Bowler for his strong ST skillshttp://http://espn.g...rivers-signings

Keith Rivers has ST talent, but Alonso's injury may have put him off of ST. We'll see.

Anthony Dixon has wedge-busting experience, and he's likely Frank the Tank's replacement on ST.

Ross Cockrell was the jammer at Duke, and Monos mentions his ST ability here.

Nigel Bradham played 285 snaps as a special teamer in 2013. If he's not one of the starting 3 LBs, he's on the list.

Also Possibilities:

Randell Johnson is the backup WLB and backup nickel LB. With Alonso out, he has a shot at the 53 and he has ST experience.

Chris Hogan is also a possibility, as he was 3rd on ST tackles.

Edited by Astrobot

I believe the Bills have added their 6 ST guys that Marrone and Whaley said they wanted. I'll name 10.

Marcus Easley will stay on ST this year unless he's outplayed on ST by another WR. That's unlikely, but at minimum we have 2012's NFL's top solo tackler back and 2013's 18 solo tackles in kick/punt coverage, the 2nd highest total in the NFL.

Preston Brown led his Louisville team in ST tackles in college--three years in a row.

Ty Powell played 5 games last year, but was the 5th-leading tackler. He has the LB impact and the S range, and Alonso's injury made him a de facto member of the 53.

Corey Graham NFC Pro Bowler for his strong ST skillshttp://http://espn.g...rivers-signings

Keith Rivers has ST talent, but Alonso's injury may have put him off of ST. We'll see.

Anthony Dixon has wedge-busting experience, and he's likely Frank the Tank's replacement on ST.

Ross Cockrell was the jammer at Duke, and Monos mentions his ST ability here.

Nigel Bradham played 285 snaps as a special teamer in 2013. If he's not one of the starting 3 LBs, he's on the list.

Also Possibilities:

Randell Johnson is the backup WLB and backup nickel LB. With Alonso out, he has a shot at the 53 and he has ST experience.

Chris Hogan is also a possibility, as he was 3rd on ST tackles.

Yes, and for that reason this is the year to evaluate Crossman. No excuses.