Too many cooks in the kitchen?

Brown is not close to CJ speed wise . The difference between 4.27 and 4.47 in the NFL is light years. I expect CJ to return to the runner he was 2 years ago. I can also see where Brown would have an advantage at the point of attack. I'm looking forward to watching them both.

Light years is a measure of distance. The difference is 0.86 mph average speed.

RB's are a dime a dozen and in today's nfl they come cheap. The writing is on the wall for CJ to be leaving town and they want Bryce Brown to get a good amount of rushes this year so we can see what we have. The thing the CJ has that is hard to come by is the blazing speed. If they are looking for a workhorse to carry the rock 20-30 times a game then maybe Brown will be better served in that role. But as someone you can be creative with and run screens and sweeps, Spiller is your guy. They just aren't using him right. Chan knew how. Maybe they need to go back and study that film to see how to get better production out of CJ before they try and replace him

I wouldn't read too much into it. My reasoning for the addition of Brown was the Bills needed it mainly for depth. NFL players simply do not practice enough to avoid injuries and this really effects RBs durability IMO. They don't build up the NFL game condition body "armor" anymore. All three will get a lot of carries because it's almost expected that Spiller and Jackson will be dinged up at some point during the season.

Like Manuel, in the not so distant future, CJ will either take the reigns or the Bills will move on from him. You're right though, RB's are a dime a dozen. Basically, you're either a top 5 RB star or you're very interchangeable. There's not a lot of in-between.

Straight line 40 speed and football with pads speed are two different things... I think the gap is closer than those times indicate- but CJ is clearly faster

There's a difference in style also. CJ relies on his speed, and that's great. I'm not familiar enough with Brown to know what kind of running back he is, but many running backs rely less on speed and more on agility. FJ, for example, has the ability to power through people, and if you look at some of Emmet Smith's highlights-- even when he was getting older, but still productive-- he was like a human pinball.

I wouldn't read too much into it. My reasoning for the addition of Brown was the Bills needed it mainly for depth. NFL players simply do not practice enough to avoid injuries and this really effects RBs durability IMO. They don't build up the NFL game condition body "armor" anymore. All three will get a lot of carries because it's almost expected that Spiller and Jackson will be dinged up at some point during the season.

Like Manuel, in the not so distant future, CJ will either take the reigns or the Bills will move on from him. You're right though, RB's are a dime a dozen. Basically, you're either a top 5 RB star or you're very interchangeable. There's not a lot of in-between.

I think also that Hackett's fast-paced scheme requires depth at skill positions. If, as most suspect, we start the season with four good RBs, I believe we will see all four of them getting plenty of carries. Edited by Rocky Landing

There's a difference in style also. CJ relies on his speed, and that's great. I'm not familiar enough with Brown to know what kind of running back he is, but many running backs rely less on speed and more on agility. FJ, for example, has the ability to power through people, and if you look at some of Emmet Smith's highlights-- even when he was getting older, but still productive-- he was like a human pinball.

I think also that Hackett's fast-paced scheme requires depth at skill positions. If, as most suspect, we start the season with four good RBs, I believe we will see all four of them getting plenty of carries.

Brown has speed to burn, but also can hit it up inside if need be... From what I have seen if him he is almost like the halfway point between CJ's game and FredEx's...

Brown has speed to burn, but also can hit it up inside if need be... From what I have seen if him he is almost like the halfway point between CJ's game and FredEx's...

Someone, somewhere on this forum (I think it might have been the author of this thread), posited the idea that in this league which has become utterly pass-happy, and has diminished the value of the run game, and running backs in general, we may be contradicting that trend and building a team with a ground game that may be absolutely deadly. I've been thinking about this myself, and it's an exciting concept. Having four decidedly productive running backs that could stay fresh into the fourth quarter sounds like a lot of fun to watch.

Someone, somewhere on this forum (I think it might have been the author of this thread), posited the idea that in this league which has become utterly pass-happy, and has diminished the value of the run game, and running backs in general, we may be contradicting that trend and building a team with a ground game that may be absolutely deadly. I've been thinking about this myself, and it's an exciting concept. Having four decidedly productive running backs that could stay fresh into the fourth quarter sounds like a lot of fun to watch.

Essentially it's old school football... Except with the twist of a committee vs a single workhorse... If the league wants to devalue the RB position- I think it's great to capitalize!!! Let's get a deep stable, strong OL, capable WR's, and a young QB with upside (he needs to realize his potential) we can control the pace of the game... Strong D too.... Too much not to love going forward!!!

If CJ isn't traded during camp, Freddie will be the surprise cut.

Why cut any of the three?

One knows that contractually you likely want to make a choice after the regular season to lay out the bucks from 2 of3. Your decision is gonna be based on unknowns like who gets slowed by injuries and in CJ and Jax's case how does Brown.

There is a ton of good info you get by keeping them, and there is no contractual reason to panic and cut one right now.

Why cut any of the three?

One knows that contractually you likely want to make a choice after the regular season to lay out the bucks from 2 of3. Your decision is gonna be based on unknowns like who gets slowed by injuries and in CJ and Jax's case how does Brown.

There is a ton of good info you get by keeping them, and there is no contractual reason to panic and cut one right now.

I would love to see what Fred, CJ, Brown, and Dixon could accomplish in 2-3 seasons. Obviously that would require some extensions, and Fred would have to keep producing

Ahead of the curve ?