Mark Brunell: Marrone bringing Saints O to Bills

I heard it. He was answering a callers questions and went on to say plenty of good things about Marrone. He said he had a lot of input into the Payton's Offense. A lot. But on gameday Payton was the ruler. He then went on to say that Marrone is a good coach with a good staff and will be successful.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard it. He was answering a callers questions and went on to say plenty of good things about Marrone. He said he had a lot of input into the Payton's Offense. A lot. But on gameday Payton was the ruler. He then went on to say that Marrone is a good coach with a good staff and will be successful.

Awesome - thanks for the recap! Really good to hear that from Brunell.

You mean the same Mark Brunell that was back up QB to Brees for a couple years in N.O.? Nah I mean the fact he was actually there wouldn't have anything to do with his comments....surely not.... He is just talking out his ass like you suggest I am sure.

Absolutely nobody can look at the Bills offense and conclude that it has anything to do with nor does it currently resemble NO's O.

This is more reasonable. Brunell likes Marrone. But saying he's "brought NO's offense to the Bills" is silly at this point.

Edited by Mr. WEO

I was talking about bush in New Orleans. If we are looking south to see pros and cons of what we may see - a guy like cj might not see proper use based on the trouble that bush had in New Orleans. You'd see the freak athletic ability but at times it was frustrating seeing it not work consistently - some being a young back adjusting but also some scheme/playcalling. There's be weeks he'd get 2-3 slow misdirection carries, 1-2 stretches in obvious running situations, and everything else would be in the slot with an occasional reverse or fake (plus of course punt returns).

It'll be interesting to see if marrone can figure out that type of back. As a cj fan, and having been to my share of saints games here in New Orleans, I'm curious to see it. I've often compared Fred/cj to Thomas/bush - even before marrone was here.

you must have really good beads

I have made the point previously about Marrone's input at New Orleans. Whilst I completely accept that Payton calls the plays on gameday (and let's be honest why wouldn't you? He is one of the best play callers in the business) it is illogical to suggest, as some have, that Marrone "only did protections". A lot of the weekly game planning that OCs do would still have been on Marrone, even if it was within Payton's parameters. The idea that Payton had the time to do all of that himself is, I would suggest, underestimating the time it takes.

Will Marrone be a successful coach of the Bills? A lot will of course depend on EJ Manuel, but also Marrone himself with a year under his belt needs to avoid repeating some of his mistakes of last year.