Did the baby boomers fail us???

An awful lot of baby boomers got theirs working in industry and all the sudden demnd a pristine environment? Interesting article. The article was posted on another forum and the baby boomer activists were fighting with the young activists! LOL!

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/the-power-of-story/boomers-failed-us-america-s-most-creative-climate-criminal-anger-love?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=20140530

I actually think this is a good topic, but I think it goes farther than climate change. Boomers are responsible for some good too, however a lot of that good has turned into a pothole of stupidity. IMO thru a lack of guidance and accountability. Just look at something like the internet or cell phones, great contributions to humanity but the generations "raised" by the boomers were actually raised by the technology they created instead of parenting themselves. Family structure deteriorated, companies were sent overseas, we've learned to stop curing diseases and treat them instead because the profit is higher and so on. I'm not saying the boomers haven't done a lot of good(civil rights etc.) but I think it's an interesting topic at least.

I actually think this is a good topic, but I think it goes farther than climate change. Boomers are responsible for some good too, however a lot of that good has turned into a pothole of stupidity. IMO thru a lack of guidance and accountability. Just look at something like the internet or cell phones, great contributions to humanity but the generations "raised" by the boomers were actually raised by the technology they created instead of parenting themselves. Family structure deteriorated, companies were sent overseas, we've learned to stop curing diseases and treat them instead because the profit is higher and so on. I'm not saying the boomers haven't done a lot of good(civil rights etc.) but I think it's an interesting topic at least.

Yup because the children of the boomers (many in their 40's now) are doing a smash up job themselves. :thumbsup:

Yup because the children of the boomers (many in their 40's now) are doing a smash up job themselves. :thumbsup:

Not disputing that, but who raised those generations? Where does accountability end with one generation and begin with the next? Again, I just think its something interesting to discuss,.

Not disputing that, but who raised those generations? Where does accountability end with one generation and begin with the next? Again, I just think its something interesting to discuss,.

Sure the boomer may have !@#$ed up raising their kids but their kids are taking that mess and running with it. I'm the tail end of the boomers and I don't have kids but I see how the gen X'ers are trying so hard to be their kids best friends. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Actually the blame falls squarely on The Three Stooges and Bugs Bunny being replaced by Sponge Bob and Homer Simpson. :D

Sure the boomer may have !@#$ed up raising their kids but their kids are taking that mess and running with it. I'm the tail end of the boomers and I don't have kids but I see how the gen X'ers are trying so hard to be their kids best friends. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Actually the blame falls squarely on The Three Stooges and Bugs Bunny being replaced by Sponge Bob and Homer Simpson. :D

Don't forget Benny Hill

On the topic of parents "raising" their kids, my favorite is the moms and dads that yell at their children for playing video games while they have their own faces in front of a cell phone playing candy crushes.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Don't forget Benny Hill

On the topic of parents "raising" their kids, my favorite is the moms and dads that yell at their children for playing video games while they have their own faces in front of a cell phone playing candy crushes.

<Rant On>

We had our neighbors over for dinner a couple of weeks ago. They're gen X'ers and have two kids probably 6 and 8. We hear the kids screaming across the street all the time. When they were over for dinner they were buried in their iPhone (really??) and iPad (really again??) and they were very well behaved. My wife thought they were medicated.

But what's going on here is not so much the way people are being raised. Sure that's a bit thing but for me it's social media. There is absolutely nothing social about it. People have no idea how to act socially. This site is the perfect example. Look at the way we treat each other here. Hopefully we'd never do that if we were actually in the same room. And so help me god if I have to wait one more time for some asswipe to get on the elevator at work because they're so engrossed in their phone the don't even know the door opened (hey !@#$stick, did you here the ding?) I'm going postal. I now make it a point to put my phone in my back pocket not my shirt pocket and not look at it will I'm walking. Probably the only New Year's resoulution I've ever kept.

<Rant off>

as a child today:

1. Your feelings are tanatmaount to anyting else in the world

2. You should never have to lose

3. You should always win in one way or another

4. Never get a splinter at the playground

5. Never be in the backseat of 20,000lb SUV without TV and surround sound

6. Be able to inteprupt an Adult having a discussion because #1 might be violated

7. Want for nothing- even if that requires parents to be corporate zombies

8. never have to stick up for yourself- there are parents for that

9. never have to go into summer with a plan to entertain yourself- parents must provide 10K elite camps- check #7 again

10. Leave College and expect 100K plus salary

11. Probably never have to save for a downplayment on a car, better yet a house- your parents will make sure you want for nothing

12. Expect a bailout when you do stupid stuff- spent yourseld into an abyss- parents shoudl write a check, afterall, the world in mean.

today's child

<Rant On>

We had our neighbors over for dinner a couple of weeks ago. They're gen X'ers and have two kids probably 6 and 8. We hear the kids screaming across the street all the time. When they were over for dinner they were buried in their iPhone (really??) and iPad (really again??) and they were very well behaved. My wife thought they were medicated.

But what's going on here is not so much the way people are being raised. Sure that's a bit thing but for me it's social media. There is absolutely nothing social about it. People have no idea how to act socially. This site is the perfect example. Look at the way we treat each other here. Hopefully we'd never do that if we were actually in the same room. And so help me god if I have to wait one more time for some asswipe to get on the elevator at work because they're so engrossed in their phone the don't even know the door opened (hey !@#$stick, did you here the ding?) I'm going postal. I now make it a point to put my phone in my back pocket not my shirt pocket and not look at it will I'm walking. Probably the only New Year's resoulution I've ever kept.

<Rant off>

Social Media is an the ultimate irony. You see what people are doing technically, but you are actually drifting further from them interpersonally by not picking up the phone or driving to see them. The absudity of 100 "friends" on Facebook- I can barely manage 3 good friends, because if they are truly specil to you, you devote resources and energy to them and those are finite.

And yes, we'd have a spirted and cotentious conversation in real life- but little chance we'd call each other retards and ****heads.... thats why Social Media is pointless, IMHO

Holy ****- I do the same thing- I put my phone in my back pocket specifically- just about every toher person on the elevator IMMEDIATELY glues themselves to their phone. If they don't and I know them, they usually ask "so, are you guys busy" What the !@#$ kind of question is that!!! "Yes, I have literally nothing to do today, were dead, and I am just punching in for the check" What is wrong with people, if we have nothign to say, lets just nod to each other, smile and enjoy the silence.

Edited by B-Large

tanatmaount

Did you mean paramount, or are you either making up new words or terribly mangling and misusing old ones?

Edit: for fun i did a Google search for "tanatmaount", and the first hit, one of only five in total, was from Daily KOS. So, congrats on an ultra-rare misusage, and "HAHA!" at your new company.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Did you mean paramount, or are you either making up new words or terribly mangling and misusing old ones?

Mangled the spelling allright, mostly cause I don't type all that well- the intended point, kids' feeling are equivilent to the most important things in the world.

Mangled the spelling allright, mostly cause I don't type all that well- the intended point, kids' feeling are equivilent to the most important things in the world.

So you meant "tantamount", which is fine with this round of phrasing, though in your origional phrasing, "paramount" seems more accurate.

/nazioff

I don't disagree with your point, at all.

So you meant "tantamount", which is fine with this round of phrasing, though in your origional phrasing, "paramount" seems more accurate.

/nazioff

yes, was looking to describe equivilency- you are correct, I did a piss poor job of displaying that in point #1, and Paramount would have made much more sense. My wife is a writer, I get dinged up all the time... lol

as a child today:

1. Your feelings are tanatmaount to anyting else in the world

2. You should never have to lose

3. You should always win in one way or another

4. Never get a splinter at the playground

5. Never be in the backseat of 20,000lb SUV without TV and surround sound

6. Be able to inteprupt an Adult having a discussion because #1 might be violated

7. Want for nothing- even if that requires parents to be corporate zombies

8. never have to stick up for yourself- there are parents for that

9. never have to go into summer with a plan to entertain yourself- parents must provide 10K elite camps- check #7 again

10. Leave College and expect 100K plus salary

11. Probably never have to save for a downplayment on a car, better yet a house- your parents will make sure you want for nothing

12. Expect a bailout when you do stupid stuff- spent yourseld into an abyss- parents shoudl write a check, afterall, the world in mean.

today's child

Social Media is an the ultimate irony. You see what people are doing technically, but you are actually drifting further from them interpersonally by not picking up the phone or driving to see them. The absudity of 100 "friends" on Facebook- I can barely manage 3 good friends, because if they are truly specil to you, you devote resources and energy to them and those are finite.

And yes, we'd have a spirted and cotentious conversation in real life- but little chance we'd call each other retards and ****heads.... thats why Social Media is pointless, IMHO

Holy ****- I do the same thing- I put my phone in my back pocket specifically- just about every toher person on the elevator IMMEDIATELY glues themselves to their phone. If they don't and I know them, they usually ask "so, are you guys busy" What the !@#$ kind of question is that!!! "Yes, I have literally nothing to do today, were dead, and I am just punching in for the check" What is wrong with people, if we have nothign to say, lets just nod to each other, smile and enjoy the silence.

Those rules mostly apply to well-off white children. It's the reason whites grades are slipping, while Asian and Indian grades skyrocket to the top. They are raised to not be morons.

Edited by FireChan

/nazioff

Nazi? I thought you were a Maxist. Wow with diversity you'd fit in real well here in the Bay Area..

Nazi? I thought you were a Maxist. Wow with diversity you'd fit in real well here in the Bay Area..

I'd never fit in there.

First, libertarian philosophy has no real foothold in the Bay Area. Secondly, I'm not a hipster, or scenester, and have no neck tatoos. Third, my Brooks Brothers suits clash with Left Coast fashion. Lastly, I hate city life.

Haven't read the article yet, but the 30 and unders should be publically volcanic (politically speaking) about the bag of crap the baby boomers are leaving them. When you look at the average age of Presidents, Senators, House of Reps and most state-wide politicians, It's fair to say that it'll be 20 years or so before their generation is at the helm. Yes the boomers have failed them in many policy areas. 30 and unders need to wake up and start supporting more solution oriented candidates. That 60% plus voted for Obama in 2012 is substantial evidence that they don't care, are not paying attention, don't get it or all of the above.

I'd never fit in there.

First, libertarian philosophy has no real foothold in the Bay Area. Secondly, I'm not a hipster, or scenester, and have no neck tatoos. Third, my Brooks Brothers suits clash with Left Coast fashion. Lastly, I hate city life.

I said the Bay Area not SF so where we live is not city life. Though we can be in the city in 20 minutes. Ten minutes from our house is the Redwood Regional Park with second growth redwoods. The first growth was cut down to rebuild SF after the 1906 earthquake.

2207914267_e7d6d15c24.jpg

I'd never fit in there.

My neck tattoo says, "Make reasonable choices". In Sanskrit.