NO BUYERS REMORSE HERE

A few weeks removed from the Sammy Watkins trade and Im loving this deal even more now than when it went down. The reports from the rookie minicamp are very encouraging. I think we are looking at 80 rec for 1200 yards and 10 tds with NFL rookie of the year honors. Think your gonna see alot of four wide looks which should get CJ going again with more space available. Williams, Woods, Watkins, and Goodwin. Thats a major upgrade over last year. Cant wait till september. Yea I know many of you are gonna come at me with the 'EJ' sucks blast. If your gonna bash this thread, be more original than that.

Its eternal optimism time again for Buffalo Bills fans for sure, never lose it!

Buyers remorse? That will certainly kick in around next years draft when Cleveland get the Buffalo Bills first, and fourth round picks. About the only way that this years trade doesn't have Bills fans relentlessly complaining about what the Bills gave up for Sammy is to make the playoffs this season, and even then...

While the trade for Sammy looks to be a move made out of desperation to many outsiders. There is a logical reason in my view as to why the team wanted Watkins so badly that they traded away next years first round pick. The Bills wanted a play maker WR to make those safeties respect the passing game. So they won't ever stack the box while Sammy is on the field.

Alas tho, even the greatest WR the NFL has ever seen had a less then great first year. Jerry Rice went to an already super bowl winning team in 85, and was catching passes by one of the greatest NFL QB's in Joe Montana and yet only had 49 rec for 927 yards, and 3 TD's his first season. Calvin Johnson only had 48 receptions for 756 yards, and 4 TD's his first season. My point being is that first year WR's rarely make a huge impact, as they are learning their jobs just like all rookies are their first season.

In regards to drafting to not drafting a big-tall WR this year... well, isn't that what the TE is for? Watkins will help move the chains to the red zone, and the TE's should help take it from there.

The only thing that gives me real pause for concern about this years team is the Bills OC wanting to run the offense as fast as possible again this year. Last season the Bills didn't run the K-gun or no huddle like the 90's Bills, and instead they ran a hurry up and punt attack! Buffalo finished 22nd in the league in scoring (21.2 PPG), 29th in yards-per-play (4.8), 28th in passing (210.8 YPG), 28th in time-of-possession (28:34) and 29th in third-down conversion rate (34.3). Last season the Bills were one of the very worst teams in three downs and out percentage.

BTW, It sucks that Glenn isn't in camp, and I can only hope that line can give EJ the time needed to make his throws this year.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell am I talking about?

I'm talking about a one-dimensional offense that relies on the strengths of one player to score points, and move the chains. If Watkins (by your reckoning our "big threat" guy) is unavailable to play for an indefinite amount of time, the result could be a multi-game losing streak. See EJ Manuel's rookie season for clarification. You can also reference the meltdown that occured when Fred Jackson got hurt in '12. But If you've been living under a rock, for the last 14 years, I'll clue you in.

Things go wrong.

An when you're in a division like ours, you have to have to plan for those things. I'm not so sure EJ can consistenly hit smaller, faster targets at the pro level like Goodwin, woods, and Spiller. In the event Watkins can't go, a big, agile, target ensures we can still move the chains. It also gives us a huge red-zone advantage over typically smaller defenders.

As far as my "grip on reality goes" , Marcel Dareus brother was shot to death last year. Earlier this month, Marcel himself was arrested on felony drug charges. Mike Williams had his first DUI as a rookie in 2010.. Since then, he's been arrested on criminal mischief charges, and reportedly stabbed by his brother back in March. Both players are still going through the judicial process.

I mentioned two receivers by name. One was Kelvin Benjamin, who was clocked at 4.64, the other was Martavis Bryant, who was, in fact, clocked at 4.42. That's a hair faster than Sammy

Also, if you're going to quote people, at least get their statement right. The blue highlighted paragraph was butchered to make your point. -That is simply sad.

And I never once said, or implied that Benjamin was better than Watkins. What I would have liked to see is both of them on the field in Bills uni's. I truly believe they could have turned into an unstoppable combination.

Coming back to the title of the thread, I don't have buyer's remorse. I just think the shopping spree ended prematurely. IMO, We still need a big target.

How do you figure we could get both Watkins and Benjimin (Why not just get Clowney, Robertson and Watkins that should of worked well too) we gave up enough to get Watkins you want to give up the following yrs number 1 too ? Get so reality yourself please as getting two first round receivers would have been overkill. Get Bryant would have been more possible and could understand that. However I think addressing the line was more important.

I'm just curious to see how we use him. He has the ability to run deep & intermediate routes, but his bread & butter in college was short passes w/ YAC. It's curious because if they use him like he was used in college it will require EJ to make a lot of the short throws he struggles with.

Yes indeed. It's all about #3 this year.

Watkins deal was a good move by a team that needed to upgrade its talent in a pass first league. Pretty simple stuff.

This is how I feel too. Sammy is as talented an offensive player as the Bills have drafted since OJ. Does that mean that he will go to the HOF -no. It just means that his skill set is incredibly well rounded, his production great and his work ethic off the charts. If he puts it all together he can be as special as he should be.

The Bills used to be a franchise that was noted for its lack of playmakers. Now they have an abundance of speed burners (Spiller, Williams, Watkins and Goodwin) who are also good football players. EJ doesn't have to be a precise type of passer with multiple reads. He just has to get the ball in their hands and allow them to make plays. With a surplus of offensive options the defense will have to spread out which will help the running game.

Whaley has openly stated that he is constructing an offense that will allow EJ to be a success. He has executed his plan. Now it is up to Manuel to play within himself and allow the playmakers to exhibit their talents. The best strategy is to keep the offense relatively simple and allow Manuel to grow as he gains experience.

:lol: It's pretty hilarious how butt-hurt you are over this post. Still, the fact is, sentencing disparities in drug cases was something the state of Alabama had to address.

On a personal note, you should probably get out more. Take some fresh air. Talk to people. LOL.

NOT what I was saying at all. Not even close. Wow, some of you guys really struggle with context. Anyway since drafting Watkins, and acquiring Williams many of you believe we are "set" at the receiver position. I do not. I wish we had also taken Bryant, Benjamin, or some other big target for a QB that tends to overthrow smaller wideouts. It's how how I feel. There's nothing you can say to change it.

I understand the part about you wanting to acquire Bryant. 4th rd, makes sense. Benjamin though? He was a 1st rd pick. So you think it would've been a good idea to mortgage more picks to land another WR? When we already used 2nd and 3rd rd picks on woods and Goodwin, 3rd on graham and 2 1sts and a 4th on Sammy? I just think its overkill and ridiculous. I understand you wanting Bryant, but Benjamin should've never been mentioned. I understand he's the Type of WR you think we need. I'd like one too, but landing Benjamin just wasn't going to happen. No matter who the GM was. Except you obviously.

In his defense, I don't think he ever said anything bad against Watkins, he was just saying that we needed another, bigger receiver on top of Watkins. Most of us disagree and felt our other picks were better utilized elsewhere. My issue with him was how he claimed that Dareus and Williams were potentially on their way to jail which was a ludicrous statement at the time (and still is). In addition, his claims that it's easier for Manuel (who he stated was an inaccurate passer, which has merit at this point) to throw to a receiver who can jump over CBs than it is for him to throw to WRs that can run routes and create separation from DBs, not just jump higher than them. He simply refused to grasp the concept that you need to be an extremely accurate passer to throw balls in a spot where only a big receiver can get them over a DB. That is, unless you are throwing to Megatron, or AJ Green type of receiver which none of those guys are, clearly. On the flip side, throwing to an open receiver allows you much more leeway in your accuracy as the DB is not in the WRs hip pocket as much. Then he would respond with completely off the wall points that made little to no sense (to me at least).

Edited by Mark80

In his defense, I don't think he ever said anything bad against Watkins, he was just saying that we needed another, bigger receiver on top of Watkins. Most of us disagree and felt our other picks were better utilized elsewhere. My issue with him was how he claimed that Dareus and Williams were potentially on their way to jail which was a ludicrous statement at the time (and still is). In addition, his claims that it's easier for Manuel (who he stated was an inaccurate passer, which has merit at this point) to throw to a receiver who can jump over CBs than it is for him to throw to WRs that can run routes and create separation from DBs, not just jump higher than them. He simply refused to grasp the concept that you need to be an extremely accurate passer to throw balls in a spot where only a big receiver can get them over a DB. That is, unless you are throwing to Megatron, or AJ Green type of receiver which none of those guys are, clearly. On the flip side, throwing to an open receiver allows you much more leeway in your accuracy as the DB is not in the WRs hip pocket as much. Then he would respond with completely off the wall points that made little to no sense (to me at least).

I simply refuse to grasp it, because it's B#*lsh_t! As is this NONSENSE about Dareus and Williams being immune from future arrests. When I said those two could very well spend opening day in jail, I wasn't predicting an outcome based on their current cases. Grown men who make the kind of choices those two make will end up behind bars no matter how good their lawyers are. -#99 getting picked up for drag-racing proved that point.

Bottom line: You were optimistic about Marcel's chances, and I wasn't. Sure, fame and money gives some protection from direct legal consequences, but what lawyer can protect these guys from themselves? My time spent in the deep south showed me how weird the appliation of justice can be down there. My research confirmed the disparities I witnessed were genuine.

As for the big threat receiver discussion, you'll never convince me that a 6'5" target standing in the end-zone won't help our offense more than a wide open TJ Graham. -Sorry.

Edited by #34fan

I simply refuse to grasp it, because it's B#*lsh_t! As is this NONSENSE about Dareus and Williams being immune from future arrests. When I said those two could very well spend opening day in jail, I wasn't predicting an outcome based on their current cases. Grown men who make the kind of choices those two make will end up behind bars no matter how good their lawyers are. -#99 getting picked up for drag-racing proved that point.

Bottom line: You were optimistic about Marcel's chances, and I wasn't. Sure, fame and money gives some protection from direct legal consequences, but what lawyer can protect these guys from themselves? My time spent in the deep south showed me how weird the appliation of justice can be down there. My research confirmed the disparities I witnessed were genuine.

As for the big threat receiver discussion, you'll never convince me that a 6'5" target standing in the end-zone won't help our offense more than a wide open TJ Graham. -Sorry.

34 sorry but I think that Watkins was a good choice, it may take 3 years to see that but all I have to say about that is, OJ and Moulds. OJ more so than Moulds as I think, Watkins is going to be that good. I also think he will be pretty good this year. We have some decent year 2 guys too. AND if we can use him that way, I still think Marcus Easley is going to be in the picture, especially when we need a big guy in the red zone. He also got some time with the 1s and 2s this week, I look for that to continue.

34 sorry but I think that Watkins was a good choice, it may take 3 years to see that but all I have to say about that is, OJ and Moulds. OJ more so than Moulds as I think, Watkins is going to be that good. I also think he will be pretty good this year. We have some decent year 2 guys too. AND if we can use him that way, I still think Marcus Easley is going to be in the picture, especially when we need a big guy in the red zone. He also got some time with the 1s and 2s this week, I look for that to continue.

No he wasn't.

Watkins was an excellent choice. -I'm not sure anyone here has said otherwise.

Like I've said many times before, I would have liked for the Bills to have ALSO taken a big, athletic, target. A kid like Bryant may have developed some chemistry with EJ... Your speculation about Easley is intriguing... I thought he could have helped us out last year. Hopefully, they'll find a role for him.

And ignore.

Later, dude!

Edited by #34fan