USMNT Pre-World Cup Thread - Next Game 6/7 vs. Nigeria

PTS

Well, you may have not rated any of them :lol: , but others did, Luis Figo was FIFA world player of the year in 2001, and Rui Costa was top 10.

http://en.wikipedia....yer_of_the_Year

I use to love watching Figo play, so much speed, skill and a wicked left foot, one of the best modern day crossers of the ball that this world had seen. He was my favorite from 2001-2003.

I wasn't a fan of the Portuguese players of that era. They all seemed to be greatly skilled players but were anti-clutch. It's only when Zidane joined Real Madrid in those days that they were much better and convincingly won the Champions League.

Ronaldo on the other hand has to be the fastest dribbler/finisher I have ever seen. I don't think Portugal will come close to winning the WC but I think the Ronaldo factor will get them through their group.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear a lot about how Porgugal is FIFA ranked #3 in the world currently. But I haven't heard anyone seriously make the case that they are a top contender to win the WC. Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy all have a better shot. I'd even pick the Netherlands and Chile over Portugal.

They're still a very good team and unquestionably a favorite against the U.S., but not among the true contenders.

I hear a lot about how Porgugal is FIFA ranked #3 in the world currently. But I haven't heard anyone seriously make the case that they are a top contender to win the WC. Brazil, Germany, Spain, Argentina, Uruguay, Italy all have a better shot. I'd even pick the Netherlands and Chile over Portugal.

They're still a very good team and unquestionably a favorite against the U.S., but not among the true contenders.

Uruguay can certainly do damage if Suarez is back to fitness but I doubt it. I certainly prefer them getting out of the group over England.

Argentina scares me. It could be their year.

Falcao is such a great player and Muriel is pretty damn good as well. Sucks for Colombia.

I'm also incredibly saddened at Dutch vice captain and Roma player, Kevin Strootman who is injured and will miss the world cup.

The great players often play in multiple tournaments and this increases the chances exponentially that they get injured and could miss the world cup.

I like him as a player as he has a lot of heart but he is not a play maker. In Rome they used to muse that his most critical pass was backwards. Bradley is a pure CDM and he is quite good at it.

If he's used as a CAM, best not even show up.

Bradley is THE playmaker. Without him, there is no USA in the WC. Bank on that. He's the best player on the team.

Why do the styles of play between the Eruo squads and the 'Muricans look so different? Different philosophy, different coaching, difference in talent? The Euro squads had a "slower" paced game with lots of controlled passes, while the Americans ran around with their hair on fire.

The US does not play controlled soccer traditionally. The style in MLS is forward-forward-forward and the same thing happens with our national team. We don't instill patience into kids and it carries through all our players. We've gotten better but "hair on fire" is a good description of the US style. You'll never mistake them for Spain.

Bradley is not an attacker. He's a controller.

Yes. He's a defensive midfielder. Plays in front of the defense. That's why when I saw someone place him ahead of the two forwards, I got flashbacks of him not doing very well in that role when he replaced Pjanic.

I like him as a player as he has a lot of heart but he is not a play maker. In Rome they used to muse that his most critical pass was backwards. Bradley is a pure CDM and he is quite good at it.

If he's used as a CAM, best not even show up.

Bradley is a top class holding midfielder, but also has a ton of value in a box-to-box role. If Jermaine Jones is on the field with him, and Klinsmann is playing a 4-4-2 diamond, given his ability to create, I certainly have no issues seeing him at CAM.

Bradley is a top class holding midfielder, but also has a ton of value in a box-to-box role. If Jermaine Jones is on the field with him, and Klinsmann is playing a 4-4-2 diamond, given his ability to create, I certainly have no issues seeing him at CAM.

In a diamond, bringing up the ball as a deep lying midfielder could work. I hope for him. Roma played a 4-3-3 so it's a different ball game.

Yes. He's a defensive midfielder. Plays in front of the defense. That's why when I saw someone place him ahead of the two forwards, I got flashbacks of him not doing very well in that role when he replaced Pjanic.

He's not just a defensive mid fielder. Just because he didn't do as well in one situation doesn't mean that is how he is defined. He has played by US standards marvelously as the attacking midfielder. That pass he had in this last game is a prime example of that, or what about the game vs. Mexico?

Two recent games, two really strong games as the attacking midfielder. Those are quality opponents.

He's going to play well as the attacking midfielder in the world cup, that I'm not worried about, AT ALL! The real questions I have are:

1) Is Jozy Altidore gonna execute and score?

2) Is Jermaine Jones going to be disciplined and not veer upfield too much exposing our defense?

3) And is the back four going to be organized and gel with one another?

Edited by Magox

I liked Bradley's recent comments about his positioning and the diamond formation. He said too much gets made of it all. He sees his job as making good things happen in the middle of the field, whether it's "scoring goals, setting up goals, winning tackles, intercepting balls..."

linky poo:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/sports/soccer/jurgen-klinsmann-gambles-on-michael-bradleys-scoring-prowess-for-us-soccer.html?_r=0

1) Is Jozy Altidore gonna execute and score?

2) Is Jermaine Jones going to be disciplined and not veer upfield too much exposing our defense?

3) And is the back four going to be organized and gel with one another?

I 100% agree with this.

Altidore looks absolutely lost on the attack right now, and and back four plus Jones need to settle in, and stop giving opposing attacks so much space to operate in.

I 100% agree with this.

Altidore looks absolutely lost on the attack right now, and and back four plus Jones need to settle in, and stop giving opposing attacks so much space to operate in.

Actually, I think he looks pretty strong. Just missing that final touch to get the goal. In the Turkey game, he worked extremely hard, holding the ball with his back to goal. He muscled the defenders and gave them fits. Making some nice passes and moves on his own too. He also did some good stuff as the first defender (i.e., "forechecking" for the non-soccer fan). Turkey's coach gave Jozy special props--said Turkey's backs had a very hard time handling him.

I've occasionally been disappointed with Jozy in the past when he has seemed uninspired, but I think he's in good form now. Once he breaks the seal, the goals will come in bunches.

I agree with you on the back line though. I'm a little worried. I can only hope they get it together very quickly.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Actually, I think he looks pretty strong. Just missing that final touch to get the goal. In the Turkey game, he worked extremely hard, holding the ball with his back to goal. He muscled the defenders and gave them fits. Making some nice passes and moves on his own too. He also did some good stuff as the first defender (i.e., "forechecking" for the non-soccer fan). Turkey's coach gave Jozy special props--said Turkey's backs had a very hard time handling him.

I've occasionally been disappointed with Jozy in the past when he has seemed uninspired, but I think he's in good form now. Once he breaks the seal, the goals will come in bunches.

I agree with you on the back line though. I'm a little worried. I can only hope they get it together very quickly.

I disagree about Jozy. He's been abysmal. He hasn't scored since December 4th, and only managed a single assist in the 2013-14 season. He has been incredibly tentative on the ball, even in 1-on-1 situations, and is turning down as many chances as he's taking, and the ones he is taking are forced and rushed. It's the monster in his head at this point, and a single goal isn't going to open the floodgates. The problem runs deeper than that.

I disagree about Jozy. He's been abysmal. He hasn't scored since December 4th, and only managed a single assist in the 2013-14 season. He has been incredibly tentative on the ball, even in 1-on-1 situations, and is turning down as many chances as he's taking, and the ones he is taking are forced and rushed. It's the monster in his head at this point, and a single goal isn't going to open the floodgates. The problem runs deeper than that.

Yeah, I know he had a very disappointing season at Sunderland. I was just judging based on what I saw in the Turkey game. I really think he will find it. I bet he gets a goal on Saturday against Nigeria.

Yeah, I know he had a very disappointing season at Sunderland. I was just judging based on what I saw in the Turkey game. I really think he will find it. I bet he gets a goal on Saturday against Nigeria.

If not for the phantom penalty against Turkey, he did score. He also generated two quality chances, one of which was saved and the other was flagged offside on the latest whistle ever. I thought he looked solid against Turkey.

If not for the phantom penalty against Turkey, he did score. He also generated two quality chances, one of which was saved and the other was flagged offside on the latest whistle ever. I thought he looked solid against Turkey.

The one that was saved was forced and rushed. He had another chance, to the left of the goal, which my have been his best chance of the night, which he turned down.