Win now or paycheck in the mail attitude?

On bb.com this article is posted: Drafting winners could serve Bills well

In his Sirius interview Eric Wood was quoted as saying: "a lot of the opportunity we had last year we let slip away, everyone is taking a business approach where it is just about winning."

That statement has me worried, it is basicly saying that the vets didnt buy into Marrone's Win mentality or worse don't even care about it at all and just want to collect their paychecks much like euhrm regular employees...

Most if not all our drafted players come from winning programs don't they? So how will that turn around a teams attitude? Given the respect rookies have for vets it's far more likely the other way around in the sense that the vets will "teach" the rookies that the NFL is all about business and keeping that paycheck coming in the mail, where as college was for fun, the game, winning and as a bonus a job interview for the NFL.

Your thoughts?

Also who are these vets that are all about business over result? Eric Wood certainly doesnt strike me to be one of them. The easy and most desireable answer would obviously be SJ and Byrd, but is that really the case? Or was it more a matter of the Defensive side of the team giving up after seeing the offense and not believing in the offense?

Part of a winning culture is the Defense believing in the Offense and the other way around it seems to me, the other part is the Defense and Ofense need to hate each other in an extreme competitive form in order to bring out the best in either unit. Taking it as far as gameday where they need to challenge each other, from the Offense making up a mistake made on the Defense and the other way around whilst rubbing it in each others faces, yet being able to celebrate together when the result is a W.

I dunno it's all nice in theory but it all falls apart if people don't change their mentality, and peoples mentality is a hard thing to change...

Edited by bladiebla

You can't take interviews like this too seriously. These guys are trying to fill minutes with essentially meaningless statements. No one is going to really lay their cards on the table. Most of it is boilerplate.

Stated this in the Eric wood thread...it's clear for a long portion of this draught that winning was not the organizations main emphasis. It trickles down from the top and then the players start to look out for their own interests. Marrone is part of changing that however it is nearly impossible for him to change that unless the ideals change at the very top.

You can't take interviews like this too seriously. These guys are trying to fill minutes with essentially meaningless statements. No one is going to really lay their cards on the table. Most of it is boilerplate.

Sure, but he wouldnt have said it in the way he said it if it doesnt hold some truth, maybe I'm giving it too much weight, but as they say where there is smoke there is fire smouldering...

Stated this in the Eric wood thread...it's clear for a long portion of this draught that winning was not the organizations main emphasis. It trickles down from the top and then the players start to look out for their own interests. Marrone is part of changing that however it is nearly impossible for him to change that unless the ideals change at the very top.

After reading that bb.com article I felt it deserved it's own thread, that out of the way...

From that sense the FO certainly did deliver a strong message to the team with their very aggressive draft this year. Still leaves the question if that is sufficient to wake up the vets and hopefully they go beyond shrugging their shoulders "now that their job is on the line with Ralph passed away, now they can be agrresive and look to be a winner, meh"....