Bills, Lions trying to trade UP to ........

This team was 6-10 last season. I just don't believe its 1 superstar player away, a WR at that, from turning that to 10-6 and challenging the Patriots for the AFC East. If Bills management believes that there's a serious disconnect from reality. Also, we need to factor in the moves the other 3 teams have made. Just like the Bills, they've added some players via free agency so from that perspective I suspect they all feel they've improved their rosters. So the target is always moving. Lets say for the sake of discussion the Bills move up and take Watkins, give up some choices, and for the 2 games they play New England Revis covers Watkins and takes him out of the gameplan. Now what? What's your new superstar WR doing for your offense? And no upgrade at ROT or TE because you've surrendered those picks to move up.

I just think there are so many examples where a team gave away lots of picks and assets to move up and hindsight shows it to be the team trading down that benefited most. Sure there might be situations where moving up and giving up a lot of assets worked and I'm sure somebody can think of a couple.

Some poor moves I can think of:

Atlanta traded up to take Julio Jones. Sure he's a dynamic receiver but it didn't get them to the SuperBowl

DItka bet the farm on Ricky WIlliams with the Saints. That move didn't do much for the Saints and got Mike fired.

Minnesota trades picks and players to Dallas for Herchel Walker. Worked out great for the Cowboys but not so much for the Vikings.

Washington moves up to pick RG3. Cost the Redskins the 2nd overall pick this year along with a few other picks and they are now a team with a new coach with lots of questions about the 'franchise' guy they moved up to get.

Good points, and I agree.

Who knows whats a smokescreen and whats not. Just gotta wait one more day.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough...and I've probably asked that question before and gotten the same answer. It's just with all these concrete statements floating about the board, I lose track of those who are wearing tin foil hats and talking to RW's ghost quoting him with the info and those who are reliable. No offence was intended, just curious. But thank you for answering...

No prob - there are a handful here that you can count on giving accurate info to the best of their ability and know people in the know..... It can be hard to keep track of but you'll pick up on the names.

I'm noticing many of them are saying VERY similar things this year. Like near verbatim. It hasn't shed a ton of light on the pick at 9, but I think it speaks volumes to the mood within the organization. Most of their absolutes refer to opinions on players or strategy being strongly considered but not "Fred jones is the only pick."

Pass rusher or play maker being priority, being willing to be aggressive but not an at any cost. 3-4 names being pretty consistent and that at their willing cost that it probably would be closer to snagging the last guy standing than going all the way to get their pick of the group etc....

This team was 6-10 last season. I just don't believe its 1 superstar player away, a WR at that, from turning that to 10-6 and challenging the Patriots for the AFC East. If Bills management believes that there's a serious disconnect from reality. Also, we need to factor in the moves the other 3 teams have made. Just like the Bills, they've added some players via free agency so from that perspective I suspect they all feel they've improved their rosters. So the target is always moving. Lets say for the sake of discussion the Bills move up and take Watkins, give up some choices, and for the 2 games they play New England Revis covers Watkins and takes him out of the gameplan. Now what? What's your new superstar WR doing for your offense? And no upgrade at ROT or TE because you've surrendered those picks to move up.

I just think there are so many examples where a team gave away lots of picks and assets to move up and hindsight shows it to be the team trading down that benefited most. Sure there might be situations where moving up and giving up a lot of assets worked and I'm sure somebody can think of a couple.

Some poor moves I can think of:

Atlanta traded up to take Julio Jones. Sure he's a dynamic receiver but it didn't get them to the SuperBowl

DItka bet the farm on Ricky WIlliams with the Saints. That move didn't do much for the Saints and got Mike fired.

Minnesota trades picks and players to Dallas for Herchel Walker. Worked out great for the Cowboys but not so much for the Vikings.

Washington moves up to pick RG3. Cost the Redskins the 2nd overall pick this year along with a few other picks and they are now a team with a new coach with lots of questions about the 'franchise' guy they moved up to get.

All this "one guy away" or not talk is ridiculous. This team should be better this year just by being more experienced and healthy. We were 6-10 and went through a rookie QB and 3 scrub journeyman QBs, tons of injuries to EVERY starter at every skill position on both sides of the ball and a brand new coaching staff.

No one knows how good this team is as is right now. Not to mention our rookie QB should improve in year 2 with more experience, more weapons, and a healthy start to the team.

So why focus on such a small detail as our record on determining how many players we are from contending? Add Jimmy Graham to this team last year and despite all those injuries we probably win 3 or 4 of the close games we lost due to red zone struggles which he would have greatly helped.

So how anyone can say that this team can't challenge for the division title at this stage is crazy. And to say one player won't make a difference is even crazier.

We also added several key players in FA...so for so may posters to keep over and over saying this team isn't one player away based on last years record is ridiculous considering we've added several and are about to add several more. "One player away" line is the most inaccurate phrase used in draft talk. There is no such thing

Edited by Alphadawg7