Corporate suck up question...

The Poojer

I respectfully disagree, you and KD are not the only ones who have it right.

DO NOT SEND an email. As it was posted - he's not going to read 100's to 1000's of welcome aboard emails.

Trust me, CEO's look to the bottom line and all too often the more skilled worker gets let go because he/she earns more than a younger less skilled person.

No one is irreplaceable in the workforce, I repeat no one.

I concur. Plus, what would your coworkers think of you if they found out. You'd be persona non grata in my book.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same w/the gov't. Not getting too political. But, I am calling baloney.

The fed gov't cuts too. I ended up in midwest because of a federal RIF, others I worked with left entirely. @ my work now, we just lost one FTE (Full-Time Employee)... And we operate 24/7/365 w/the minimum of two to a shift. We are now down to 12 people total staff. Out of that crew of 12, 9 staff the site +70% of every minute of every day. Again, with the mandatory minimum of two on a shift (safety).

In regard to ratio of government employment to population, we have the smallest group of federal employees to population in decades. 50 years ago the ratio was around 90 people to 1 fed. It is now around 140 people to 1 fed employee.

"While the private sector has added jobs to the economy in every month since March 2010, a total increase of approximately 6.8 million jobs through April 2013, the public sector has contracted. To put this in perspective, federal, state, and local governments added jobs in only twelve of the thirty-eight months between March 2010 and April 2013 and have lost more than 625,000 jobs over this period. This figure shows the ratio of government employment to the civilian non-institutional population going back to 1980. For the twenty years prior to the Great Recession, this ratio stayed relatively constant, but since then it has dropped precipitously (except for the temporary uptick in 2010 when government employment rose to accommodate demand for U.S. Census workers). The ratio of government employment to population is currently at a decades-long low: it has not been below 9 percent since the mid-1960s."

Bull. The government regularly plays shell games with the books. There are more people in the employ of governments at all levels than at any time in history. Just because they're not of the GS variety doesn't mean a damn thing.

Bull. The government regularly plays shell games with the books. There are more people in the employ of governments at all levels than at any time in history. Just because they're not of the GS variety doesn't mean a damn thing.

Interesting point. Are you suggesting government contrators, military, etc... when you say "There are people in the employ of governments..." ??

I did give what you said thought. It would be interesting to see those numbers corrected to account for the above. Yet, we aren't really talking about all "people in the employ of governments..." Obviously, some are easier to manage, cut, etc... It is pretty easy and painless to drop a contract than in-house employees. And it is best to keep the direct employees to a managable number, that is eaxctly what is happening. Again, the overall size and influence of gov't isn't what I am getting @. The issue here is managing, contracting the size of the harder to deal w/in-house people.

Also... Postal Service has to bloat the numbers, even in an era of decreased work load. Yet, there are a lot of contractors for them...

Now, it is all pictures on Instagram or something, kinda like that dude that posts on PPP.

I saw a commercial for a TV show, where the one character said, "Instagram is just Twitter for people who can't read." Never got into Instagram, Pinterest, Google+, etc. I will stick with Facebook and Twitter. Now, get off my lawn!!

As far as the email, I would not do it. As mentioned previously, if you pass him in the hall, then shake his hand and welcome him to the company. Keep it professional.