Garcia to be a FA, cut Drew and grab him

JP-era

Not to start of course :rolleyes:

But rather to back up JP and be a viable option if JP fails.

Browns | Will Garcia Return? - from www.KFFL.com

Sat, 22 Jan 2005 16:01:15 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Cleveland Browns are keeping an open mind about the future of QB Jeff Garcia with the team. However, there are not many in the league who believe Garcia will return to the team in 2005.

Garcia is more fragile than a pinata.

215021[/snapback]

Really? I really havent paid that close of attention. All I knew about Garcia is the ability to escape from the pressure with his feet.

Thats a dimension that I hope we add and stick with on our offense.

Did you go to TO.com to get that analysis of Garcia?  :rolleyes:

215024[/snapback]

No but it fit. He really has no arm at all. He did well in SF as they run a West Coast style where a lot of slats, short routes are run, too in effect give the semblence of a running game. Any long pass play are usually YAC's.

I'd love to see Garcia here as a backup.......he's got a CFL background, so he's both mobile and accustomed to cold weather. If the price is right, I think TD should grab him if he becomes available.

I'd love to see Garcia here as a backup.......he's got a CFL background, so he's both mobile and accustomed to cold weather. If the price is right, I think TD should grab him if he becomes available.

215026[/snapback]

Again no offense, but we have vertical receivers. Other than Reed we have noone who is the cross the middle slant type receiver who catches the ball in traffic. You need a guy with a big arm to make those out patterns. The weak arm bandits will not work with our receivers.

No offense JPera, but you seem to locked on to having a scrambling QB. Please explain to me again, when was the last time a scrambling QB won the Super Bowl. Elway???? By the time he won, Mr. Magoo could run better than Elway.

Again no offense, but we have vertical receivers.  Other than Reed we have noone who is the cross the middle slant type receiver who catches the ball in traffic.  You need a guy with a big arm to make those out patterns.  The weak arm bandits will not work with our receivers.

No offense JPera, but you seem to locked on to having a scrambling QB.  Please explain to me again, when was the last time a scrambling QB won the Super Bowl.  Elway????  By the time he won, Mr. Magoo could run better than Elway.

215027[/snapback]

You have a good point.......I'm not saying I'd want him starting, but I'd love to have him as a backup. I just think if they go with JP over Drew to start the year, Drew may be too much of a distraction lurking in the background. I'd rather have another vet backing up JP.......I don't care if it's Garcia or not, but I'd certainly feel good about having him as a back-up.

Why on earth would Garcia come to Buffalo? He wants to start, not come into yet another new offense, and try to win the job from a younger, unproven, high draft pick. I know many of you are obsessed with getting rid of Bledsoe, but your solutions make no sense! If Garcia does not return to Detroit, he will end up back with Mariucci in Detroit. They got along very well, and it seems to be the case that Mariucci is losing confidence in Harrington. Besides, do any of you realize that Garcia is about the same age as Bledsoe? He is a better short term answer for Detroit than he would be for us. Bledsoe is our best option right now, and the Bills are his best option....get over it!

I agree that Garcia would be a smart choice.

First of all...people who say they want Drew to stick around as a backup.....get that thought out of your head. Drew Bledsoe's " No, It's my team" rant after week 17 tells me that it WOULD be a distraction this time around if he was forced to sit and watch Losman play. If you move on from the Drew Bledsoe era..you need to move completely on.

Secondly, all of this talk about Jeff Garcia would make you think that the guy can't throw the ball more than 35 yards. Jeff Garcia has the ability to get the ball downfield. Will he hit guys 65 yards away from him in stride? Probably not. But it's not like opposing safeties would be able to play 20 yards off knowing that everything behind him is out of their range.

The benefit of bringing in a guy like Jeff Garcia is...his style is similar to the style of Losman. Losman has a considerably stronger arm....but they both throw very well on the run...they both move the pocket.....and they both are better suited for a west coast offense ( even though Losman has a strong arm). If you bring in Jeff Garcia...then EVEN if J.P Losman isn't ready to be the starter this year...you can start to build the offense around Losman's skill set. I don't think it makes sense to go into this season with 2 QB's who are polar opposites battling it out for the #1 Qb job.

" Ok, Drew's in for this series guys....remember..he can't run........so hold your blocks and keep the pocket steady"

" Ok, Losman is in for this series guys.....remember..he might take off at any moment...so if the defender starts to run away from you..it's probably an indicator that Losman has taken off"

" Alright, Drew's back in........We're going to run plays that take a little longer to develop..where we can get receivers downfield."

" Ok, Losman is back in..let's try rolling the pocket a little and see how this team does with misdirection and playaction"

I just think that the offense NEEDS an identity all throughout training camp. They don't need an offensive line continiously adjusting to 2 totally different QB's styles while the higher ups decide on a starting QB.

Again no offense, but we have vertical receivers.  Other than Reed we have noone who is the cross the middle slant type receiver who catches the ball in traffic.  You need a guy with a big arm to make those out patterns.  The weak arm bandits will not work with our receivers.

No offense JPera, but you seem to locked on to having a scrambling QB.  Please explain to me again, when was the last time a scrambling QB won the Super Bowl.  Elway????  By the time he won, Mr. Magoo could run better than Elway.

215027[/snapback]

No offense taken, difference of opinion. I feel that adding the additional "QB can run" option keeps D's honest. It wasnt so long ago that Flutie basically forced D's to assign a guy to shadow him. Thats one more guy who ISNT covering our WR's. To me its about taking pressure off Moulds and Evans by forcing the D to stay more at home.

Furthermore, I agree that teams can be very successfull with a "placeholder" at QB. But that method absolutely must have a stud D, a great supporting cast, and a very good o-line. The Bills havent done the best of jobs as far as all of that goes. Although, I do think the Bills are in very good shape as far as supportingcast, D, and even the o-line is concerned. Thats one of the reasons that I think JP will do fine.

Back to the topic, Id like us to have a mobile QB, but NOT at the cost of being tough (RJ), being tall (Flutie), or arm strength (Garcia?). I think though that JP has it all as far as that goes, tough, tall, arm strength, and can run. We will have to see how it plays out.

I agree that Garcia would be a smart choice.

First of all...people who say they want Drew to stick around as a backup.....get that thought out of your head. Drew Bledsoe's " No, It's my team" rant after week 17 tells me that it WOULD be a distraction this time around if he was forced to sit and watch Losman play. If you move on from the Drew Bledsoe era..you need to move completely on.

Secondly, all of this talk about Jeff Garcia would make you think that the guy can't throw the ball more than 35 yards. Jeff Garcia has the ability to get the ball downfield. Will he hit guys 65 yards away from him in stride? Probably not. But it's not like opposing safeties would be able to play 20 yards off knowing that everything behind him is out of their range.

The benefit of bringing in a guy like Jeff Garcia is...his style is similar to the style of Losman. Losman has a considerably stronger arm....but they both throw very well on the run...they both move the pocket.....and they both are better suited for a west coast offense ( even though Losman has a strong arm). If you bring in Jeff Garcia...then EVEN if J.P Losman isn't ready to be the starter this year...you can start to build the offense around Losman's skill set. I don't think it makes sense to go into this season with 2 QB's who are polar opposites battling it out for the #1 Qb job.

" Ok, Drew's in for this series guys....remember..he can't run........so hold your blocks and keep the pocket steady"

" Ok, Losman is in for this series guys.....remember..he might take off at any moment...so if the defender starts to run away from you..it's probably an indicator that Losman has taken off"

" Alright, Drew's back in........We're going to run plays that take a little longer to develop..where we can get receivers downfield."

" Ok, Losman is back in..let's try rolling the pocket a little and see how this team does with misdirection and playaction"

I just think that the offense NEEDS an identity all throughout training camp. They don't need an offensive line continiously adjusting to 2 totally different QB's styles while the higher ups decide on a starting QB.

215039[/snapback]

Very good post......I think you are dead-on right with everything you said.

All I knew about Garcia is the ability to escape from the pressure with his feet.

215023[/snapback]

Excellent. So now all we want out of a quarterback is a guy who can escape pressure with his feet. He doesn't need to throw. He doesn't need to lead. Just run away from pressure and we'll win 11 games.

Okay.

Be careful what you wish for, JP, or you will SURELY get it.

"And the guy said to the genie...'For my third wish, I wouldn't mind a little head...' "