Rotoworld analysis of Bills needs

Lothar

Not sure if this has been posted yet ...

I see that they have OT, S and QB as top 3 needs and they give options for each day.

Can't say I'm a big fan of their options besides Matthews.

http://www.rotoworld...aft-needs-bills

This is a typical "How do you spell Buffalo Bills?" clueless national coverage of the team.

Nothing to see here.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manuel was painfully inaccurate and hesitant in the pocket in his worse moments. During the TB and Pittsburgh games, even the biggest homer would be hard pressed to look at his performance and say that he looked like a player that could ever develop into an elite quarterback. During his better games (Carolina, NYJ) he was average. There was never one moment where Manuel wow'd me. Adding to the fact that this is a player that suffered 3 (!!!) knee injuries over the course of his first season in the league, and logically you would think we'd want a damned good insurance policy in place. Hearing rumblings on WGR that Whaley/Marrone are not interested in a veteran backup for fear of putting too much pressure on EJ is disconcerting, to say the least.

Average in his best performances? Average...for a rookie? Credibility, meet open window.

Average in his best performances? Average...for a rookie? Credibility, meet open window.

He was average for a rookie, Jerome. When I watch a first round quarterback, I expect to see moments where it is clear that this player has elite potential. That to me was never evident when watching Manuel struggle to hit open receivers down the sideline or overthrow 5 yard slants. When I watch EJ I see Jason Campbell, not exactly an exciting proposition.

He was average for a rookie, Jerome. When I watch a first round quarterback, I expect to see moments where it is clear that this player has elite potential. That to me was never evident when watching Manuel struggle to hit open receivers down the sideline or overthrow 5 yard slants. When I watch EJ I see Jason Campbell, not exactly an exciting proposition.

You sound like you kept an open mind throughout the 2013 campaign.

Why is wanting to have a legitimate QB lunacy? Manuel may grow into one or he may not. Meanwhile 3 more years have passed. Regardless of the round if the FO believes in a guy they better grab him. And they better understand something Buddy never did; a QB's value in the draft is inflated. If you wait, you lose.

I'm certain that there were multiple QB's that the Bills liked during Buddy's reign, that's just plain common sense, but he played chicken, he waited and he lost. See your guy...get your guy.

I think its quite naive to think the Bills are going to wait 3 more years for EJ to turn a corner. No one wants a franchise QB more than me, however, this notion we should an early round pick on one THIS year is lunacy.

1. EJ has work to do no doubt, but he showed plenty of promise, and anyone saying he didn't either didnt watch the games or doesnt know enough about football to be evaluating QBs in the first place.

2. EJ this offseason and preseason NEEDS snaps. Adding a high round pick for them to split those CRUCIAL reps with isnt going to help either of the 2 QB's. He needs a chance to be the man, not lose reps in some unnecessary QB competition at this stage.

3. Rookie QB's RARELY have a good rookie year, make a huge impact, etc. EJ had better stats than many of todays top QB's had their rookie year.

4. There are NO slam dunks in this draft at QB. None of the QB's have any more potential at this stage than EJ...there are no Andrew Lucks in this draft.

5. Whoever our QB is, he will need help on the OL and at TE/WRs to develop. We need to give our 2nd year QB the pieces to be successful before we will even know if he can be successful.

6. Our staff, who knows more about EJ than anyone, believes in him and is committed to him. Be really hard to imagine them risking his development by going against those statements and adding a high profile prospect to compete with him. Doesnt mean they wont...I just cant see it nor do I think it would be wise at this stage.

If we had all the other pieces, then fine...but we dont. EJ showed enough to earn the right this season to be the unchallenged starter to build around. If he falters, then next year we can look to add another high value young prospect. This is NOT the year.

While I agree with the first need at OT, as the most important need I see is to give the young QB's all the protection they can get.

However, I'm not very keen on wasting a 3rd rounder on another developmental QB when there are already three on the roster. Nor am I keen on drafting a defensive player with that #9 as the defense has been loaded with first, and second round picks, and still 6-10 with a top DC.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/8019/analyzing-kiper-3-0-bills

Mel Kiper's mock drafts:

March 13 (3.0) -- Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

Feb. 6 (2.0) -- Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

Jan. 16 (1.0) -- Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

Todd McShay's mock drafts:

March 6 (3.0) -- Matthews

Feb. 6 (2.0) -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

Jan. 16 (1.0) -- Lewan