Tampa message board

That was a funny thread. No where does anyone mention his overall intelligence or blocking(lack thereof) ability. Or even his overall charachter. shhhhhh...everyone keep quiet. No need to give them more info than they need down there. Maybe they will suck into him and we can get a 2nd out of it.

That was a funny thread. No where does anyone mention his overall intelligence or blocking(lack thereof) ability. Or even his overall charachter. shhhhhh...everyone keep quiet. No need to give them more info than they need down there. Maybe they will suck into him and we can get a 2nd out of it.

214744[/snapback]

I tried logging on but they would not accept my email address. I would have liked to put on there that he had nearly 2800 yards rushing 23 TD's and 71 catches in 2 seasons. He is also tough, young, & experienced

I gotta laugh...that one guy reminds me so much of some of the idiots on this board about the fumbles...there are very few in the nfl that can be totally upside without haveing any downside...while I agree those where a lot of fumbles, he was getting better and stronger at the position...but I kept thinking of ICE for some reason everytime I read his fumbulitis posts...lol

I gotta laugh...that one guy reminds me so much of some of the idiots on this board about the fumbles...there are very few in the nfl that can be totally upside without haveing any downside...while I agree those where a lot of fumbles, he was getting better and stronger at the position...but I kept thinking of ICE for some reason everytime I read his fumbulitis posts...lol

214756[/snapback]

Henry did not fumble at all in 2005

214756[/snapback]

Ive always thought the fumble thing with Henry was overblown. Damn every back fumbles a certain amount. What really bothers me about him is his inability or desire to pick up blitzes. To me he is a decent back but not at great one so that makes it hard to overlook a major flaw like not blocking.

214744[/snapback]

In general I think these are more issues for Bills fans than the rest of the world, because I think in general these are actually non-issues which we manufactured due to our deep commitment to the Bills, watching this all way to closely and over analysis.

As Bills fans I would hope even those who are nost skeptical of Henry as a player if they feel some need to post on the TB board will lie to them about their real feelings and praise Henry all over the place and say we are fools for giving him up for a mere 2nd round pick. If you think TH will never ever do anything for the Bills, then by all means do your part and help Travis' agent help TD to get a deal simialr to what AT gave us when they overspent for PP.

As a Bill's fan, I think there is no question that WM has much more to contribute to this team than Henry. As a fellow greedy American TH shoukd meet his contract, but since the contract holder the Bills have freed him to go find a deal cause he wants to start, then goshspeed and I hope he finds a deal.

Overall, i see TH thusly:

1. Overall a very good quality NFL back in his relatively short career offers some upside because he has actually produced in the 2 seasons he was used alot by the Bills to the tune of about 1400 yards and a good chunk of TDs.

2. He is no brain surgeon, but football players's don't need to be and actially we got a huge benefit from his mismanaging his finances so we got another year out of him for not much money.

3. Durability is probably my biggest concern as he has suffered a couple of injuries in his short career which were serious enough to impact his play. I wouldn't trade a lot for hin because of this concern all things being equal. However, life is never equalin the NFL so I would likely trade draft resources for him on the flyer that he may become a Corey Dillon for my team the way this malcontent has helped NE.

The things which might lead to this deal being reasonable are:

1. He gets hurt but he has demonstrated over two seasons an ability to play productively through pain.

2. I think concerns from Bills fans about TH's receiving abilities are overblown as in the 1 of his four years he was utilized as a reciever he racked up over 40 receptions. He did not do this his third year, but I think this drop-off says more about Kevin Killdrive and Bledsoe's play than any Henry deficits, This pas year he did go into a funk and was not utilized as it was ckear to all that his days as a premier back for the Bills were numbered because WM was so much better than him. Bills partisans may whine about some noticeable driops by Henry as the wheels came off their offense in 2003, but his production as a young receiver in 2002 makes me think of his receiving ability as an asset where he can be better trained and utilized to even surpass his production in the real world in 2002.

3. He definitely has lost a chunk of fumbles in his career, but in my mind has clearly improved on his "fumbleitis" from his second year to his third year. Further, there are a number of speciic changes which I think can be made in him to lower any fumbles called and improve his game (this is possible for even a developed player to do as seen in the fumble numbers improvement caused by a technique teach to Tiki Barber this year. In my mind, part of Henry's problems is that he turns it off a hair to quickly and if he were trained to hold onto the ball well through the whistle rather than releasing it and trying to leap up quickly to stay in the flow of the game, that might actually reduce the nubmer of fumbles he is charged with by a couple a year. The fumble issue does not worry me as some are worth it and come with the terriory as long as he is picking up the roughly 1400 yards he has produced twice and even this number can be reduced (and he has done that before) with some work.

4, I think the blitz pick-up issues are really overblown on TSW. Like many rookies his blitz pick-ups were dicey as a rookie. However, in his second year this part of his game was not a problem even with a "statue" at QB and a lot of sacks. I found the same to be true in his third year where the Bills sack problems got even worse as the O as a whole fell apart. Like the OL, all other RBs used by the Bills that year and even Sam Gash, Ds blitzed and the Bills got tatooed a lot but I never viewed the issue as extraordinarly worse with Henry it was bad at alll points. Similar event occured this year as no one can credibly claim early in the season that the Bills stopped the sack consistently. However, as faux pas, by Henry, poor blitz pick-up by the young WM, less than mobile usage of the QB position and the Ol struggling to get its act together after 3 years of inferior coaching, again I think identifying Henry as a particular problem on blitz pick-up is overblown here. He struggled as a rookie as most rookies do, he improved his performance his second year, and the wheels fell off the O his third year. I think any team that feels confident in their offensive ability ned not be overly conerned at all about this issue.

5. He has to be a better choice than we got. I'm more concerned about how Henry compares to my real-world options than some pundits or fans false estimate of Henry's absolute value. If Henry is a fumbler, but my current RB option Pittman fumbles more then Henry may be the option for me, if my choices are to have Amos Zeroue or Tyeone Wheatley gain the same number of yards in a full season as Henry gained in his horrible quarter of a 2004 season then I am interested in Henry.

6. Henry's year extension makes a big difference. RBs like LaMont Jordan and Shaun Alexander are much better RBs in my opinion. However, i will have to write them a big bonus check to get them. Henry will want to and I will want to renegotiate a longer-term deal also, but I can take my time and watch him play and work with him as I do this. I'm even happy to sign a huge contract with him as long as it is conditional to levels of production by him in areas such as yards, catches. carries, starts or whatever we can agree on. Even though there may even be 3 RBs in the draft with better prospects, I think there is alot more to be said for expecting productivity from a vet who has done it before at this level rather than rookie. LaDamian Tomlinson is the rarity and even if one of my rookies is another Travis Henry who gets to the Pro Bowl quickly his first year production was good though not phenomenal. There is a big question of timing I have to consider and the win now ethic tells me that I prefer a vet to potential.

7. Corey Dillon.

I don't think TH is nearly as good a back as Corey Dillon. However this is a me-too league and the real workd production of this former malcontent for NE will actually make it far easier for a potential partner to allow themselves to be convinced that former Pro Bolwer Henry will be their Corey Dillon. I don't think so, but all we need is one fool team to trade with and I think we can get them from what has impressed me as more options than I would have guessed.

Just when you think this board is unique with it's collection of obsessive idiots, I read another team's board and find an equal number of obsessive idiots.

It's particularly funny reading Rod "Ice" Tidwell's barking about Henry's fumble problems, and being SO adamant about it, when he doesn't know the half of Henry's downside: picking up the blitzing anybody.

I tried logging on but they would not accept my email address. I would have liked to put on there that he had nearly 2800 yards rushing 23 TD's and 71 catches in 2 seasons. He is also tough, young, & experienced

214754[/snapback]

I thought maybe you were the one who started the thread on the TB page.

I think the fumbles were a legitimate issue in 2003, not nearly so much so in 2004. Most of the fan analysis on that website looked pretty shallow, but then most of us probably dont have an in depth grasp of a lot of the NFC players who are not the major stars. I know I don't at least.