Identity theft, and dealing with the IRS anyone?

Buftex

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. Pretty scary stuff. I must say, if somebody was trying to steal from a random person, they couldn't have picked a worst victim...I have nothing to steal! That said, I am doing my due diligence and taking all the recommended precautions. I still have to file a police report, which, from what I am hearing is kind of a waste of time... but I suppose, the more precautions I take, the less likely I can be held libel for any illeagal activities or debts incurred in my name (or moreover, my social security number). Luckily, my sisters husband (I don't really know him that well, and didn't even think to ask him for help initially) is helping me a bit...he has been dealing with this kind of stuff for 20+ years. What is most frustrating, this could be id theft, or a simple mistake by somebody, somewhere (not me)...but from what I gather, I am going to be spending the next 2-6 years cleaning it up!

They can use your ID to run up debts that steal your time to reverse and possibly your credit for years. Hard to put a $ figure on that, even if they never get a dime from your pocket. :death:

Edited by rockpile

Sweet Jesus, Buftex. That's terrible. It sounds like someone got ahold of your SSN and tried to file for return as you - or as Tom said, somebody just screwed up and mistyped your number for theirs.

Sorry for the hassle that found you. I think like others have said already, do what you can to protect your credit. I believe you can ask the big three credit monitoring agencies to lock your SSN from being used to open any credit cards or loan applications. You can leave it in that state until and when you want to apply for a loan or new credit card. I believe this is about all that the companies like LifeLock do... for a recurring fee.

Good luck man. I feel for you.