Clearing up some OL Confusion

Thank the OP for the analysis. I enjoyed it very much. The immediate problem the Bills face is that they need a plug and play RT. They have nothing beyond the starters and it is well documented that the current RT is not getting it done. They need to come out of the draft with a day one starter at RT. Matthews is best suited to that role followed by Lewan and Robinson in no particular order. They also need a tall red Zone target and third down target who need not be a day one starter. Evans, Ebron, Benjamin best fit that role. I would take Watkins but assume he is gone at 9. All the afore mentioned is pretty obvious to most on this board. So how do we fill these two most critical needs? Option 1. Draft Evans or Ebron at 9, then you probably have to reach for the next best tackle or trade up in the draft to get a better one. Remember RT has to be ready to start day one. Option 2 draft the RT and then you have to reach or trade for the next best WR (Benjamin) will not be there at pick 41. You would have to reach for M Bryant or Moncreif. Option 3 trade for or sign a vet RT and draft a couple in the mid rounds to develop. Option 4 Trade up in the draft with the second round pick and the third round pick to get Benjamin if you draft a Tackle at number 9 or If they draft a Receiver trade up to get Zach Martin, Mosley or Bitonio (spelling?). I hate trading up and losing a pick but everyone wants to trade down in this draft therefore the value is going to be in doing the contrary I am sure they would find plenty of partners, perhaps even an auction situation.

Edited by Trader

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking back, I remember how the Bills acquired Glenn. Most teams looked at him as a guard in the draft and simply passed him by. The Bills were one of the few teams that actually looked at his performance as a LT and graded him pretty high. IMO they got an absolutely steal when selecting Glenn.

It was surprising to us when we picked him up in the second round and even more surprising that he has performed as well as he has. Even after he was selected, many thought he was going to play guard. Boy were they wrong. The point is this:

We have no clue who will be selected. The Bills have their own way of doing things and they don't always follow a formula that makes sense to us. There will be players who the Bills FO identify as a good fit. Meanwhile we always love trying to determine who is the best option for ourselves only to be shocked when things don't go the way that we expect. Anyway, it's all in fun. But I'd like to be right for once, dammit. Just give me someone who will help EJ in the pass protection department and someone who can open holes for our running backs. Do that and I'll be happy.

I'll also take a WR and TE. Maybe even another LB or S. Perhaps even some depth on the DL. I tend to lean toward dominant offensive and defensive linemen as a building block and then build from there.

Edited by Rockinon

Looking back, I remember how the Bills acquired Glenn. Most teams looked at him as a guard in the draft and simply passed him by. The Bills were one of the few teams that actually looked at his performance as a LT and graded him pretty high. IMO they got an absolutely steal when selecting Glenn.

It was surprising to us when we picked him up in the second round and even more surprising that he has performed as well as he has. Even after he was selected, many thought he was going to play guard. Boy were they wrong. The point is this:

We have no clue who will be selected. The Bills have their own way of doing things and they don't always follow a formula that makes sense to us. There will be players who the Bills FO identify as a good fit. Meanwhile we always love trying to determine who is the best option for ourselves only to be shocked when things don't go the way that we expect. Anyway, it's all in fun. But I'd like to be right for once, dammit. Just give me someone who will help EJ in the pass protection department and someone who can open holes for our running backs. Do that and I'll be happy.

I'll also take a WR and TE. Maybe even another LB or S. Perhaps even some depth on the DL. I tend to lean toward dominant offensive and defensive linemen as a building block and then build from there.

A lot of people won't like this mock, but I do. Shutdown Corner: OT and Safety.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-draft--two-round-mock-draft-lands-bridgewater--bortles-ahead-of-manziel-150338359.html;_ylt=AwrBJR.nuClTcnEA1GVNbK5_

Have you guys read this?

ON THE CLOCK

Very interesting read about how teams are rating RT compared to prior years. And also some tidbits about what defenses are bringing now-a-days.

I think too much is made of all the RTs being picked so high last year--it was mostly a function of a weak draft class and OT being the highest value pick at the time. If you look back at previous years, the OT market has been relatively thin in the 1st round of the draft.

2011 - 1 OT in the top 15

2012 - 1 OT in the top 20

The article does speak to an important point though: the offenses that are able to stymie a vicious pass rush will have incredible success.

I think too much is made of all the RTs being picked so high last year--it was mostly a function of a weak draft class and OT being the highest value pick at the time. If you look back at previous years, the OT market has been relatively thin in the 1st round of the draft.

2011 - 1 OT in the top 15

2012 - 1 OT in the top 20

The article does speak to an important point though: the offenses that are able to stymie a vicious pass rush will have incredible success.

Hence the need for a RT that can pass block too.

Did I really say hence? I think I'm getting old.

Hence the need for a RT that can pass block too.

Oh no doubt...I'm not saying that to minimize the need for a solid RT; just saying that I believe RT will continue to fall behind positions like LT, DE, QB, CB, and to a lesser extent WR and TE as far as positional value is concerned.

Have you guys read this?

ON THE CLOCK

Very interesting read about how teams are rating RT compared to prior years. And also some tidbits about what defenses are bringing now-a-days.

I started a thread yesterday. It's somewhere down the board at this point.